Home Automation - Smartkit

Blender1

I did a bit of digging, and it seems it is a rebranded product.
I'll contact the guys in Cape Town in the new year to get a unit. Hopefully they have an API that they'll be willing to share. Or a bit of wireshark engineering could help.
@phaktza, if you have a similar product, I'll be more than interested! Ideally, I'd like to integrate with Node-Red or Google home.

adielk

Expert Member
I did a bit of digging, and it seems it is a rebranded product.
I'll contact the guys in Cape Town in the new year to get a unit. Hopefully they have an API that they'll be willing to share. Or a bit of wireshark engineering could help.
@phaktza, if you have a similar product, I'll be more than interested! Ideally, I'd like to integrate with Node-Red or Google home.
Reviews on takealot not that great.

ebendl

Expert Member
Reviews on takealot not that great.
I saw that too, but mostly people complaining that the power supply is not in the box. Sucky yes, but something I can totally manage.

Honesty the biggest barrier in my mind is that I have to use yet another app - one for my Hikvision cams, one for a couple of Wyze cams and then Home Assistant. Not really keen on introducing another app.

BetaProject

The Wyze cams support RTSP with a firmware upgrade (provided by Wyze), which means HA integration is possible, so that's one less app.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I saw that too, but mostly people complaining that the power supply is not in the box. Sucky yes, but something I can totally manage.

Honesty the biggest barrier in my mind is that I have to use yet another app - one for my Hikvision cams, one for a couple of Wyze cams and then Home Assistant. Not really keen on introducing another app.
Both Wyze and Hikvision integrate very easily into HA.
If I cant get it to work with HA then Im not interested in it, that is my central point for everything.

adielk

Expert Member

Hmm thought wyze cams can be accessed via google home

ld13

Honorary Master
The Wyze cams support RTSP with a firmware upgrade (provided by Wyze), which means HA integration is possible, so that's one less app.
Keeping in mind that it is a Firmware that will not be updated from what I understand.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Hmm thought wyze cams can be accessed via google home
It seems the Wyze Cam is compatible with Google Home, but they talk about streaming it to the Nest display, so I'm not sure if you're restricted to that or if you can stream to another compatible device/screen on your network. I'd hope that you could screen to a smart TV or LIT box/similar but maybe @ebendl can check for us since he already has Wyze cams.

Edit: I suspect you'll still have to have the Wyze app installed on your phone, even if you are viewing the camera stream via Google Home.

Last edited:

adielk

Expert Member
It seems the Wyze Cam is compatible with Google Home, but they talk about streaming it to the Nest display, so I'm not sure if you're restricted to that or if you can stream to another compatible device/screen on your network. I'd hope that you could screen to a smart TV or LIT box/similar but maybe @ebendl can check for us since he already has Wyze cams.

Edit: I suspect you'll still have to have the Wyze app installed on your phone, even if you are viewing the camera stream via Google Home.
Yes, the app most likely still required. No issue per se.

Google hub and nest combined so ... one and the same ito compatibility?

I just want be able to stream video and control everything on one hub be it

1. Samsung smartthings (issue of US vs UK frequency)
2. Google
3. Alexa

ebendl

Expert Member

I have streamed to a Google Chromecast on my TV, yes. Takes a while to connect but it works.

I haven't loaded the RSTP firmware yet, mostly because while it works with HA, running the whole lot on a pi is not great.

jeevadotnet

I have about 25 Shelly 1's OS (blue) in stock. Located in Bellville, WC. R250 each. Courier at own expense or Amarax @R100.

Limited Warranty on products sold. I.e. If you wire it incorrectly or flash it you unfortunately don't have any.

BetaProject

Never seen this Sonoff product before and not too sure of its practical use.
Lots of uses. The item description tells you what it is capable of, but with some imagination you can do much more.

Some of the most basic things: Trigger lights on or off by looking at light levels, not sunrise or sunset times. Trigger HVAC to maintain temperature. Maintain humidity based on actual levels.

You can buy multiple sensors to do the same things, but chances are it would be more expensive.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Hi

Please advise the difference between the energy monitoring kits sold by smartkit.

See images below

I just want to establish my electricity usage over a month via a DIY method.

Hi

Please advise the difference between the energy monitoring kits sold by smartkit.

See images below

I just want to establish my electricity usage over a month via a DIY method.

The Home Hub Kit has an interface accessible from your phone, including history.

The E2 only has the digital display.