Home Automation - Smartkit

Good call. I've said it before in this thread, using the Sonoff directly on the geyser opens you up for a disaster.

There is no de-rating information available, and 16A is too close to the limit.

Rather get a Hager 20A contactor and control that with the Sonoff.
It is shocking difficult to find a Hager 20A contactor in RSA on-line. I am based in Sunninghill so will take a drive around to find one
 
I read similar stories hence i am finding a contactor.
The idea is for the circuit breaker to protect the equipment, not your Sonoff.

I recently had to install a new geyser, a 150 l Kwikot with 3 kW element. In the manual it clearly states to use a 20 A circuit breaker. So using a 16 A Sonoff is not ideal.
 
So I received my svs today. Will like to try the garage First.

Plus and minus to get power from garage

Where does the com and open connect on the sonoff.

How do you setup the WiFi etc don't have hass.io yet
 
The idea is for the circuit breaker to protect the equipment, not your Sonoff.

I recently had to install a new geyser, a 150 l Kwikot with 3 kW element. In the manual it clearly states to use a 20 A circuit breaker. So using a 16 A Sonoff is not ideal.
What I have done is replace the 3 kW element in my 150 l Kwikot geysers to 2 kW elements which should draw up to 9.4 amps at the most which should work fine with the Sonoff 16 a ratings. The main reason for this was to use my small solar setup to supplement the heating of the geyser during the day. I am going to wait for the Shelly's to be certified and maybe try one of these on my geysers.
 
What I have done is replace the 3 kW element in my 150 l Kwikot geysers to 2 kW elements which should draw up to 9.4 amps at the most which should work fine with the Sonoff 16 a ratings. The main reason for this was to use my small solar setup to supplement the heating of the geyser during the day. I am going to wait for the Shelly's to be certified and maybe try one of these on my geysers.
By putting in smaller elements, you also increased the time it takes to heat the water.

But if you can live with that, sure.
 
So I received my svs today. Will like to try the garage First.

Plus and minus to get power from garage

Where does the com and open connect on the sonoff.

How do you setup the WiFi etc don't have hass.io yet

you need to put them in "isolated" mode

 
Thanks this helps.

I don't have any of this pin connectors how have you connected the power to the SV

i have some of those jumpers so cut them to use as leads. if you dont have them you could solder it to those pins and slip heat shrink over...
 
What does this isolated mode actually do? Sorry - could probably google... but why google when you're here :sneaky:

it makes it so that the relax simply opens or closes the circuit, whereas normally he relay would pass through the voltage the SV is operating at. in the case of a trigger like opening a garage or a gate you want to short common/trigger on your motor, not pass in external voltage which would be bad.
 
I have two banggood orders in progress. One at the courier in China, one at the courier in Pretoria, since before lockdown.

Using them as bellwethers to see if stuff starts moving again.


Right - an update for anyone interested - for the order currently in ZA , a delivery attempt was made to the office last week - I spoke to Buffalo Express, who put me on to Fastway couriers, and the package is being re-rerouted to my home.

The other one in China appears MIA for now...

I ordered another item today and selected "Express Shipping" (US$11) - let's see how that goes...
 
it makes it so that the relax simply opens or closes the circuit, whereas normally he relay would pass through the voltage the SV is operating at. in the case of a trigger like opening a garage or a gate you want to short common/trigger on your motor, not pass in external voltage which would be bad.
Ah... so it becomes more like what one gets on a remote receiver which has a COM and N/O...
Makes sense, thanks for that.
 
Ah... so it becomes more like what one gets on a remote receiver which has a COM and N/O...
Makes sense, thanks for that.

it becomes like you touching the 2 wires together essentially, the relay on your receiver indeed does the same thing, closes the circuit.
 
Does the sonoff basic R3 fit on the sonoff din rail tray?

I want to use the Basic R3 to run a contactor
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X