Home Automation - Smartkit

rph72

Executive Member
He might, but safer to have it on hand and probably save time too instead of him having to go buy it on the day
I'll give him a heads up when my switches arrive. Still need to source a Sonoff as well.

adielk

Executive Member
[US$49.99 48% OFF]Vima Smart Lock Core Cylinder Tuya Intelligent Security Door Lock 128-Bit Encryption With Keys Connected to Tuya Smart Home System Hardware & Accessories from Furniture & Home Improvement on banggood.com

No idea whether this is any good but looks interesting.

Edit seems you require a bridge but couldn't determine what kind of bridge.

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
So my Zigbee adventure is getting interesting.

1. Found this button, which you can stick to any wall (uses a bettery) and then when Home Assistant for example receive the message, it can trigger whatever else you have connected.

For example, I have some automations going, but it would be handy to disable a specific automation on the auto dimming of lights in the lounge, by pressing this button. So some useful ideas for others that might like it. Also an easy way to add kinda like dual gang switches to your house.

2. To have a router/repeater for your zigbee network.
This one always annoyed me, because most things that can extend your zigbee network are all these international smart plugs that just wont work in SA. However the Sonoff ZBR3 will be perfect for this. Can have it all over the house and boom your zigbee network is easily extended. Keep in mind, unlike the regular basic, this one can only do 10A.

(on preorder for now but discounted)

3. Then last not but least, the sonoff zigbee gateway will be here soon!

What is nice about this one, its not a USB stick, there is already a tasmota version out for it and so you can remove the chinese connection you might currently have with a Xiaomi aqara zigbee gateway and it is easier and less trouble than the C2250 or whatever those usb sticks are!

Be warned though, the Tasmota version for this is currently still in beta. See https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/8583

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

1. Found this button, which you can stick to any wall (uses a bettery) and then when Home Assistant for example receive the message, it can trigger whatever else you have connected.

For example, I have some automations going, but it would be handy to disable a specific automation on the auto dimming of lights in the lounge, by pressing this button. So some useful ideas for others that might like it. Also an easy way to add kinda like dual gang switches to your house.

This one always annoyed me, because most things that can extend your zigbee network are all these international smart plugs that just wont work in SA. However the Sonoff ZBR3 will be perfect for this. Can have it all over the house and boom your zigbee network is easily extended. Keep in mind, unlike the regular basic, this one can only do 10A.

What is nice about this one, its not a USB stick, there is already a tasmota version out for it and so you can remove the chinese connection you might currently have with a Xiaomi aqara zigbee gateway and it is easier and less trouble than the C2250 or whatever those usb sticks are!

Be warned though, the Tasmota version for this is currently still in beta. See https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/8583
Weird getting some random tracking interception in those Banggood links which Adguard is killing.

Tinuva

The Magician
Weird getting some random tracking interception in those Banggood links which Adguard is killing.
Hmmm
I think I might have whitelisted some of these in my adguard. Same used to happen when I searched on Google and there were takealot links that I am interested in.

Alternative if you don't want to white list is to search for the item names on banggood.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hmmm
I think I might have whitelisted some of these in my adguard. Same used to happen when I searched on Google and there were takealot links that I am interested in.

Alternative if you don't want to white list is to search for the item names on banggood.
Yeah quick and dirty was to switch WiFi off.

I just don’t know how the hell it works when the link itself seems clean.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
How's this junction box.

It even has slots for the Waco clip on connectors to fit in.
Brand, cost and where can you buy them from?

In another thread , had discussed the virtues or not of selling a house that has all these things installed in it. Does one rip it out, sell a service agreement to new owners , or the thought I had , leave them all on, and that would be that (COC should pass)

The other issue putting things into roof, etc is that when you have dodge incoming electricity feed and it simulates, quick on/off which can put smart switches back to default mode , also needs consideration. Have been there reconfiguring switches with laptop in roof (that was not a lekker day)

Just yesterday , I settled on the idea that it's easier just to put a junction box ( like what you show) mounted next to plug points. It will look a bit ugly but since most are low, no one will care but it aids the serviceability aspect and also selling later. If the new owner doesn't want it, just disconnect boxes .

For heavy draw items like geysers and stoves, replace the break switch in DB board with an equivalent rated WiFi enabled breaker switch. That way we have the smarts and none of the possible issues later if selling.

Any my humble 2c

spikegv

In another thread , had discussed the virtues or not of selling a house that has all these things installed in it. Does one rip it out, sell a service agreement to new owners , or the thought I had , leave them all on, and that would be that (COC should pass)

The other issue putting things into roof, etc is that when you have dodge incoming electricity feed and it simulates, quick on/off which can put smart switches back to default mode , also needs consideration. Have been there reconfiguring switches with laptop in roof (that was not a lekker day)

Just yesterday , I settled on the idea that it's easier just to put a junction box ( like what you show) mounted next to plug points. It will look a bit ugly but since most are low, no one will care but it aids the serviceability aspect and also selling later. If the new owner doesn't want it, just disconnect boxes .

For heavy draw items like geysers and stoves, replace the break switch in DB board with an equivalent rated WiFi enabled breaker switch. That way we have the smarts and none of the possible issues later if selling.

Any my humble 2c
I created a seperate username and password for my house and an email address this way the handover is easier. Only issue would be the WiFi. But I would consider letting it go to make live easier. Have an external access point mounted outside as well.

alqassam

Expert Member
Where? Or rather item name to trace.

Any my humble 2c
Wago box XL.

This is pic is from Facebook I don't think we get these here

ebendl

Expert Member

I have some of those Aqara buttons. They work well enough - is is taped next to my normal light switches (which must be always on) and in turn they trigger automation in HA to turn on my main bedroom light (Sonoff in the light fitting) and cycle through another light (Yeelight, it goes from off to very dim nightlight mode to full bright).

I currently run them from the Aqara gateway, which is isolated from the outside to prevent phone-home to China. But I must say, I can't control the Zigbee channel so they tend to get interference from neighbors every now and then. Somehow the Aqara switches are some of the first to become unresponsive, which is a bit annoying.

So looking forward to a Sonoff Zigbee Hub with tasmota too!

I use the Aqara Zigbee plugs, plugged into adapters, as extenders. They do support at least our two-prong plugs (I.e. Euro style) so you can use them to turn some things on/off, as long as that thing doesn't require an earth.

calypso

Expert Member
While I also use the Xiaomi hub, I think the correct move should be towards the Sonoff Zigbee hub. The Xiaomi feels like its just one update away from being bricked.