Home Automation - Smartkit

Noticed an issue with home-assistant when hosted over SSL - if your internet goes down for some reason, or dynamic dns isn't updated - nothing works.
 
I couldn't get that right, kept loosing connection - eventually soldered on a header.

Theoretically, you could just use a female to female cable, and just attach the header loss on one end.

What I would recommend stocking is a little power toggle that can be connected to the 3.3V cable, so you don't have to unplug and plug in usb all the time.
I did 5 devices like that. The first one I flashed about 6 times, playing with different settings.
 
I couldn't get that right, kept loosing connection - eventually soldered on a header.

Theoretically, you could just use a female to female cable, and just attach the header loss on one end.

Yes, I've seen that in some tutorials.

What I would recommend stocking is a little power toggle that can be connected to the 3.3V cable, so you don't have to unplug and plug in usb all the time.

Thanks. Got a link to one?
 
I bought some male to female jumper cables. The female end slips onto the pins of the USb board, and I just poked the male ends through the holes on the sonoff. Worked fine.

I did the same. Works fine but its still a rather loose connection. Maybe some solderless headers and then just female to female wires would be more solid connection.
 
I did 5 devices like that. The first one I flashed about 6 times, playing with different settings.

Did you use Arduino IDE? Find it takes forever - and eventually looses connection somewhere, either power, or data.
 
Did you use Arduino IDE? Find it takes forever - and eventually looses connection somewhere, either power, or data.

Yes I did. The compiles took ages (slow laptop) but the actual flash writing about 10 seconds.
 
Yes I did. The compiles took ages (slow laptop) but the actual flash writing about 10 seconds.

I'll try again next time round - hate soldering - my initial attempts were with the dud Basic... so maybe it was working and I didnt know.
 
Quick question, with the Sonof Pow. If I flash Tasmota and use HomeAssistant, will I still be able to monitor electricity usage?
 
Yip - they recommend calibration with a 60w bulb or something, but I didn't do that.

I'm only using today and yesterdays power usage at the moment - I think if you want longer than that you'll need to write it away to a db of your own, something I'll look at later.
 
The POW's telemetry with Tasmota contains:
Message | Unit | Description
----------|------|-----------------------------------------------------
Total | kWh | Total Energy usage including Today
Yesterday | kWh | Total Energy usage between 00:00 and 24:00 yesterday
Today | kWh | Total Energy usage today from 00:00 until now
Period | Wh | Energy usage between previous message and now
Power | W | Current power load
Factor | | The ratio of the real power flowing to the load to
| | the apparent power in the circuit
Voltage | V | Current line voltage
Current | A | Current line current

Sadly, it only reports voltage while the relay is on. It would have been fantastic if it monitored it all the time, as then you could use it as a voltage alarm for the mains.
/edit

OOOoo

SetOption21 1 / on Enable reporting Energy usage while power off

There we go. Need to set that on mine.
 
Last edited:
Hmm.. that might be a blocker. Will flash then when I have some time to play around with it to get my required output.
 
So nobody uses SonOTA then?
I think it stopped working with later revisions of the stock firmware...?

I did all my devices with the arduino IDE and the usb serial interface, using the latest Tasmota build.

Going forward, will be building with the IDE and saving the img, and just uploading to devices to update the FW. I might look at enabling OTA on them at some point, but not too fussed atm.
 
Going forward, will be building with the IDE and saving the img, and just uploading to devices to update the FW. I might look at enabling OTA on them at some point, but not too fussed atm.

What's the benefit once flashed?

If I look at the web interface, it has an option to upload a new firmware, or doesn't that work?
 
What's the benefit once flashed?

If I look at the web interface, it has an option to upload a new firmware.

Yup, exactly.

The benefit for OTA is triggering the upgrade automatically without having to upload the file yourself. Nice if you have a bunch of devices, you could send a message to a group to upgrade all at once.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X