Home Automation - Smartkit

Interesting. Will this be coming soon?
I've got a sample. But it's being reconfigured. Hopefully a few months. Also has an LCD display. Sits nicely in your DB board.
4290e2ed6f20eca430ed9caf0eccd25e.jpg
 
Hmm.
Don't really want it in the DB. At a pinch, in the roof where the circuit goes down into the conduit, or in line with the appliance itself
 
Hmm.
Don't really want it in the DB. At a pinch, in the roof where the circuit goes down into the conduit, or in line with the appliance itself
It can sit anywhere, but has a built in DIN if you'd prefer.
 
Cool. Will it be certified etc, for a CoC?
Any indication of pricing?
Can it talk to home assistant?
It will be certified... Eventually.

No pricing yet. But all Shelly products have MQTT by default and can use Tasmota - its broadly advertised as being Home Assistant friendly.
 
Yeah i've also had to UPS up. Docker in unraid doesn't like hard shutdowns, was just taking way too much of my time to kick it into life again.
 
I've got a sample. But it's being reconfigured. Hopefully a few months. Also has an LCD display. Sits nicely in your DB board.
4290e2ed6f20eca430ed9caf0eccd25e.jpg
That looks nice, I can see the benefit of using it to measure power consumption but not sure why I would want to essentially switch off an entire breaker - unless it's like a pool pump or something. There seems to be no logic in how my plugs and switches are distributed over my breakers, so switching one off would just switch off random plugs.
 
That looks nice, I can see the benefit of using it to measure power consumption but not sure why I would want to essentially switch off an entire breaker - unless it's like a pool pump or something. There seems to be no logic in how my plugs and switches are distributed over my breakers, so switching one off would just switch off random plugs.

One of your bigger (>16A) offenders is your geyser. These breakers are always on the DB board. We have any number of queries about geyser switches.

This could also be used for entire circuits, e.g. outside staff accommodation.
 
Last edited:
Yeah i've also had to UPS up. Docker in unraid doesn't like hard shutdowns, was just taking way too much of my time to kick it into life again.

I want to look at going that route - the problem I have is finding a UPS that'll last load shedding for both my Gen8 server, and NAS.
 
I want to look at going that route - the problem I have is finding a UPS that'll last load shedding for both my Gen8 server, and NAS.
Mine isn't to last loadshedding it's just to allow for a graceful shutdown. Whatever the switches and routers get after that is a bonus.
 
I want to look at going that route - the problem I have is finding a UPS that'll last load shedding for both my Gen8 server, and NAS.
As long as the UPS is connected to the server and initiates a clean shutdown, it doesn't necessarily have to last the whole of the loadshedding window, just long enough to ensure data integrity
 
My startup is the problem - not the shutdown :p

But - busy re-configuring new laptop - will hopefully back online this evening and can start setting up the server a bit better
 
I want to look at going that route - the problem I have is finding a UPS that'll last load shedding for both my Gen8 server, and NAS.
Look at an inverter setup instead of UPS. Will really be better in the long run. I have a 600w ACDC pure sinewave inverter + 1x 102AH deep cycle battery. Fan is only on during loadshedding if load is high, but as soon as I turn off TV, the fan goes off. Then after loadshedding its only on for 3 hours while recharging the battery.

IMG_20181218_123245.jpg
 
How do you charge the battery?

Might work - I already have a 105ah battery in the garage for camping
 
One of your bigger (>16A) offenders is your geyser. These breakers are always on the DB board. We have any number of queries about geyser switches.

This could also be used for entire circuits, e.g. outside staff accommodation.
Ah, well that's pretty cool yes. Perfect for a b&b or something as well
 
Look at an inverter setup instead of UPS. Will really be better in the long run. I have a 600w ACDC pure sinewave inverter + 1x 102AH deep cycle battery. Fan is only on during loadshedding if load is high, but as soon as I turn off TV, the fan goes off. Then after loadshedding its only on for 3 hours while recharging the battery.

View attachment 638106
Yeah, I went the same route as well - not a fan of using a UPS (or hacking one by adding batteries) to work for loadshedding.

I'm waiting for this to be delivered to me this week:
1553670360375.png
 
How do you charge the battery?

Might work - I already have a 105ah battery in the garage for camping
The inverter has a built-in 10a charger (much faster than most UPSs), and also works like a UPS with auto power switchover. Just think of it as a long running UPS, without a computer management interface.

https://www.brights.co.za/product/inverter-pure-sine-wave-ups-type/

In fact, this inverter has a 3 phase intelligent charger, so it's much better for the longevity of the battery too.
 
Now to work out my combined power requirement...
Easy, get Smartkit to sell you a bunch of Efergy stuff :)
Although, I'm not impressed by their products - their is a ridiculous limit of 5 devices per hub, and that's ok - but if you buy another hub it gets added to another account on Efergy and you can't view all your usage in one place.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X