Home Automation - Smartkit

Shelly has now apologised for giving us outdated unaccredited certification - we're reviewing the new documentation for submission to ICASA.

Yussie, these Bulgarians......

All good, I'll just keep bugging you until I can buy them from you of course :)
 
What hardware are you guys using for your Home Assistant, especially in big setups ?
Can the Pi's cope or should one rather use a VM ?
 
looking for something like this but with local control, can be a retrofit like this one or whole new part even.

If by 'local control" you mean LAN, you could select from one of the following and switch it with a Sonoff:

 
HP Gen8 Microserver, my Pi3 took strain, and ate SD cards

Cool, scared of overloading too, want to run pihole on HA too so might become a bit to much for Pi and then there is the SD card issue.
 
What hardware are you guys using for your Home Assistant, especially in big setups ?
Can the Pi's cope or should one rather use a VM ?
Not running HomeAssistant but openhab instead.
Mine runs on a Minnowboard Turbot + SSD. Quiet and low powered like a Pi but I have SSD storage instead of a SDcard.
 
What hardware are you guys using for your Home Assistant, especially in big setups ?
Can the Pi's cope or should one rather use a VM ?

Running in Docker on Synology. Ran as a VM before, but needed to repurpose the PC, so I installed the Synology package, which takes care of all the Docker stuff, and restored a backup from Google Drive using the GDrive addon
 
Will a minipc with an i3, 4GB ram work well with a setup consisting of some OS (linux I guess), and docker for Hassio, pihole, and the other common home automation addons?

I'm currently running Hassio on a Pi3 and the SD card is giving issues and I know I should move away from the Pi3. I tried an Intel Atom celeron Dual core with 2GB ram and that didn't work very well with Ubuntu.

I would like to use some platform that can run straight of a 12V battery without inverters etc.
 
Will a minipc with an i3, 4GB ram work well with a setup consisting of some OS (linux I guess), and docker for Hassio, pihole, and the other common home automation addons?

I'm currently running Hassio on a Pi3 and the SD card is giving issues and I know I should move away from the Pi3. I tried an Intel Atom celeron Dual core with 2GB ram and that didn't work very well with Ubuntu.

I would like to use some platform that can run straight of a 12V battery without inverters etc.

I am running HassIO on a Synology (XPEnology, actually) with 4GB RAM, a truly ancient dual core 2.4 GHz Intel chip, with multiple other containers (addons for HassIO like Grafana, ESPHome, VSCode, Node Red, and a few more), as well as Plex Server, Radarr, Sonarr, and a few random apps, and I don't experience any noticeable slowdown in HassIO.

Startup takes about 2 minutes, though.

An i3 should fly with it. Can't say anything about running straight of 12v battery, though.
 
Just started looking at Synology as an option. Didn't know about XPEnology, maybe I should load that on the old atom and see what it does.

What are the thoughts, NAS vs minipc? Pro and cons of each?
I will not be streaming from the NAS/MiniPC. Will be used for Hassio, Grafana, NodeRED (all the usual suspects). Maybe file storage, but I'm dumping everything on onedrive in any-case, so that will not be a main function.

I guess the main function will be....Hassio.
 
Using a NAS for something but not storage...is expensive and not really good bang for your buck.
If you use it for storage AND homeautomation then maybe the price tag can be justified.

That said, a minnowboard turbot with a SSD should be able to run off a 12v battery, if you have a good converter down to 5v which is what it and the SSD run on. I really mean good, its unstable on most cheaper PSUs, I had to buy a really good PSU that has stable 5v supply at 4amps to make it run perfect. Mine is however running of a pure sinewave inverter.
 
It sounds like, for your use case, a mini-pc would be better. You don't need a lot of storage for HassIO. It would be a waste to run a NAS just for HA if you don't have another use for it.
 
Minnowboard TurboT is R3771.45 excl @ mouser (not sure where else to buy this)
Synology DS218J is R3065 @ Takalot.
Synology DS218+ or Play is north of R5k
Mini PC is in the region of R3k upwards for something that should be ok?

For the Minnowboard, an enclosure will be needed. I already have a good stable 8A DC-DC down converter.
For the synology, I do have an ekstra HDD or two I can start the Synology with. Also have a small inverter that should be sufficient to power the NAS, will check how clean the power is though.

Maybe I should stick to the Pi......just backup very often.
 
Fair enough, bought mine for $70 of ebay when they were getting rid of early development stock. That price you giving is expensive, I wouldnt buy at that price.

746825
 
How about a Pi 4? Run off a USB hdd, and you have a low power device more than capable of running HassIO, and you don't need to worry about SD cards dying on you.
 
Can’t go wrong with an HP Microserver.

Cheaper and more powerful than all these NAS drives and can happily do a better job.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X