Home Automation - Smartkit

How would you communicate with this Almond though ?

So many Almonds!

I know they aren't related, just strange that both would use this name ...

I'm trying this Almond (https://www.securifi.com/rg/almond3) - I actually think it's great!

The rules are insane - it's not just 'if' front door open, 'then' switch on hall light ... it's more like 'if' front door opens from Monday > Friday between 17:00 and 19.00 when the temperate is under 20 degrees - 'then' wait 5 seconds and switch on the hall light
 
So many Almonds!

I know they aren't related, just strange that both would use this name ...

I'm trying this Almond (https://www.securifi.com/rg/almond3) - I actually think it's great!

The rules are insane - it's not just 'if' front door open, 'then' switch on hall light ... it's more like 'if' front door opens from Monday > Friday between 17:00 and 19.00 when the temperate is under 20 degrees - 'then' wait 5 seconds and switch on the hall light
Quite interesting.
 
So many Almonds!

I know they aren't related, just strange that both would use this name ...

I'm trying this Almond (https://www.securifi.com/rg/almond3) - I actually think it's great!

The rules are insane - it's not just 'if' front door open, 'then' switch on hall light ... it's more like 'if' front door opens from Monday > Friday between 17:00 and 19.00 when the temperate is under 20 degrees - 'then' wait 5 seconds and switch on the hall light

That’s what we’ve all been doing with Home Assistant and/is Node Red for ages now.

You really need to go beyond running everything with apps on your phone.
 
You could send it messages via telegram, or the microphone on your HA interface. Thus your cellphone or tablet would be used. I have not dabbled in it yet, so I don't think it has a "wake" word like the rest of the assistants.

Installation details.

View attachment 749571

Aah I guess more Raspberry Pi or ESP type devices with microphones would solve the problem easily enough.
 
Mine has matured enough now that I hardly touch it - everything is automated as is :D

Only thing outstanding is the dashboard on the iPad at the front door - just not in the mood as I'm not a fan of the language.

Oh... and custom devices, my prepaid meter, and water meter - but waiting on the electronics.
 
That’s what we’ve all been doing with Home Assistant and/is Node Red for ages now.

You really need to go beyond running everything with apps on your phone.
Phaktza is the technical guy.

I will play and test with systems/cameras off-the-shelf products that your mom can buy at the store down the road.

I still haven't haven't been forgiven for buying a Rainbird irrigation controller as opposed to one from him
 
Mine has matured enough now that I hardly touch it - everything is automated as is :D

Only thing outstanding is the dashboard on the iPad at the front door - just not in the mood as I'm not a fan of the language.

Oh... and custom devices, my prepaid meter, and water meter - but waiting on the electronics.

Yeah after wiring up my down lights eventually and more ceiling fans I’ll probably also just need the old iPad on the wall and then I’m mostly done.

Home Assistant update has cocked up my iOS app and device tracking but hopefully once fixed it will be for the better as it seems it now remembers the location state on a reboot which wasn’t the case before and made for some interesting results.
 
Phaktza is the technical guy.

I will play and test with systems/cameras off-the-shelf products that your mom can buy at the store down the road.

I still haven't haven't been forgiven for buying a Rainbird irrigation controller as opposed to one from him

Yeah the problem with off the shelf is that there are always limitations.

Often stupidly simple ones.
 
Yeah the problem with off the shelf is that there are always limitations.

Often stupidly simple ones.
I agree, mostly.

Though this Almond doesn't seem too bad.

Many companies are now focused on software and simply on boarding hardware. I've used a system called Alarm. Com which was epic... But expensive.

They manage the backend and software side only. The simply on board the hardware and have a list of hardware partners already.
 
Yeah I do prefer off the shelf stuff like that as well so it would be nice if it really works and covers most every use case.

Also at reasonable pricing because that’s the other issue most of these things aren’t worth the sum of their parts in any way.

Apple HomeKit vision is still great for me personally, there just isn’t enough product out there and none of it really priced well.
 
Wait wait wait.

So you can only use Home Assistant with Alexa if you have a paid for Cloud account or go through a seemingly **** load of effort to make it work only half as well.

Dead in the water then.

It is only $5 a month which I believe is money well spent. Besides the no effort approach to having Alexa work without any config, access HA without punching a hole in my firewall, it goes towards the salaries of Paulus, Pascal, Frank and Bram who virtually run the development effort. Perhaps consider it.
 
It is only $5 a month which I believe is money well spent. Besides the no effort approach to having Alexa work without any config, access HA without punching a hole in my firewall, it goes towards the salaries of Paulus, Pascal, Frank and Bram who virtually run the development effort. Perhaps consider it.

Thing is it’s $5 I don’t need to spend as I’ve already done all those things and actually prefer doing it myself where I have full end to end control of it.

Don’t mind giving them money and I see they have a donation system in place now so at some point much like I did with Plex I’ll likely throw some thank you money at them.

Was anyway just fiddling with the Alexa app on a test drive and I’m actually not all that impressed. Doesn’t do anything more special that Siri and requires a lot more work from me.
 
Let us know how this turns out. Also, when you do get them, please take photos of the inside, want to see how difficult they will be to tasmotify if the plug fitting works, which looks like it might but impossible to tell from photos alone.

As long as it is the Type M and not Type D plug, it will work. https://www.indiaquickfacts.com/con...converters-electric-sockets-electric-adapters
You can get similar plugs locally (and they are on special until Cyber Monday) https://www.futuremation.co.za/inde...h-energy-monitor&controller=product&id_lang=1
Only difference is the ones available locally is 16A and has power monitoring build in.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I have to ask for help with this one before I let the magic smoke escape.

The below diagram is a 24V circuit that controls a motorized ball valve, I do not have any manuals and the only thing I could find for this device is the diagram. What I have read so far is that the 3 wire model uses the 3rd wire to close the valve once the switch is opened.

How do you guys read this diagram and how would you approach the automation part ?

749833

Edit: is it as easy as using a Sonoff SV and with red and green wired to positive and black to ground

Edit2: still using Sonoff SV but red is connect directly to 24v source positive on Sonoff input side, green is connected to positive on SV output and black to ground on Sonoff output
 
Last edited:
Ok, I have to ask for help with this one before I let the magic smoke escape.

The below diagram is a 24V circuit that controls a motorized ball valve, I do not have any manuals and the only thing I could find for this device is the diagram. What I have read so far is that the 3 wire model uses the 3rd wire to close the valve once the switch is opened.

How do you guys read this diagram and how would you approach the automation part ?

View attachment 749833

Edit: is it as easy as using a Sonoff SV and with red and green wired to positive and black to ground

It seems to me you need only automate the SW part of it and everything else remains as is.

So basically yes an Sonoff SV modified to be a dry contact will do exactly that for you just like I setup for my gate and garage door.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X