Honor 8x review

Tcyte

Huawei’s ‘Honor’ sub-brand is beginning to find its feet in the local market with their recent releases. This year’s Honor 10 lite and last year’s Honor 8X, have shown some positive steps. With the 8X, Honor packed a host of features you would expect to see in more expensive smartphones, like a big high-resolution notched display, and also decent ‘AI’ features while also boasting a great performance making it a seriously impressive value for your money.

Design

Honor 8X’s biggest selling point to me is the design. It has a 6.5in display, a slim profile with a 2.5D glass that gives a satisfyingly smooth experience when swiping in from the side of the display, and the rounded aluminium frame helps the phone fits comfortably in the palm of your hand.

Display

Like I mentioned, the 6.5inch display has an adaptive resolution tech that allows it to switch between FHD+ (2340 x 1080) and HD+ (1560 x 720) on-the-fly to help conserve battery power without a noticeable difference. For those that always want that crisp FHD+ resolution, the feature is on by default but can be disabled in the settings.

Perfomance

Though the Honor 8X doesn’t feature a flagship chipset, the combination of an octa-core Kirin 710 and a Mali G51 GPU provides a great experience with very little in the way of lag. It’s backed up by 4GB of RAM and 64GBof storage locally, expandandable via the microSD card slot. Honor 8X is 75 percent faster than it’s predecessor 7X in general, though performance in mobile games has shot up 130 percent. This is, in part, thanks to a built-in GPU Turbo that boosts the performance of supported games without draining the battery life.

Camera

The Honor 8X sports a dual camera setup on the rear, comprising of 20Mp- and 2Mp sensors, both offering an aperture of f/1.8 for decent low-light photography. Generally speaking, the images are crisp and vibrant, especially in daylight. The dual camera setup enables cool features like the bokeh effect for more professional looking portrait photos. I must say the device really struggles in low light conditions.

HONOR 8X SPECS

· Body: Aluminum frame, 160.4 x 76.6 x 7.8 mm, 175g.
· Display: 6.5" IPS LCD, 1,080 x 2,340px, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 396ppi.
· Rear camera: Primary 20MP, f/1.8 aperture, 27mm equiv. focal length; phase detect autofocus; secondary 2MP depth sensor.
· Front camera: 16MP, f/2.0 aperture, 26mm equiv. focal length; fixed focus lens.
· OS/Software: Android 8.1 Oreo, EMUI 8.2.
· Chipset: Kirin 710: octa-core CPU (4x2.2 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x1.7 GHz Cortex-A53); Mali-G51 MP4 GPU.
· Memory: 4GB of RAM; 64GB storage; microSD card slot
· Battery: 3,750mAh (sealed), 5V/2A charging
· Connectivity: Dual SIM; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2; NFC; microUSB 2.0, 3.5mm jack.
· Misc: Histen 5.0; dual microphones (noise reduction); Fingerprint reader (rear-mounted).

The device is available for R4999.99 https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/146670528/Huawei+Honor+8X+64GB+Dual+Sim+in+Black+Special+Import
Below are some of the pictures I took with the phone.

Attachments

sajunky

Honorary Master
Better than Y7, oh, no... Better than P Smart (from gsmarena):
- bigger screen
- real dual SIM
- Gorilla Glass 3
- better Android (8.1)
- more RAM and storage
- 20Mpix camera
- dual front camera (???) see photo
- gyro
- bigger battery
- lower quality audio
- aptX (I don't believe P Smart is missing)

ronz91

Expert Member
- bigger screen
- real dual SIM
- Gorilla Glass 3
- better Android (8.1)
- more RAM and storage
- 20Mpix camera
- gyro
- bigger battery
- lower quality audio
+1 for real dual sim

Tcyte

- bigger screen
- real dual SIM
- Gorilla Glass 3
- better Android (8.1)
- more RAM and storage
- 20Mpix camera
- gyro
- bigger battery
- lower quality audio
I think the PSmart 2019 operates on Pie and EMUI9. This enables it to have a better UI with cool features like Hivision etc, but all in all the 8X is better

Dave

Honorary Master
- bigger screen
- real dual SIM
- Gorilla Glass 3
- better Android (8.1)
- more RAM and storage
- 20Mpix camera
- gyro
- bigger battery
- lower quality audio
I think the P Smart 2019 is also 64GB...