How did you STOP smoking?

carstensdj

Expert Member
As the title says... What worked for you?

My fiancee is busy cutting down quite rapidly as she really wants to stop. I on the other hand am not dead set on stopping and that's why i think it's a little harder for me. Just the thought of what i am doing to myself and have already done to myself over the past 11yrs though does make me realize that i NEED to stop.

Any advice?

Ridolfc

Expert Member
My mom went to the doctor, he prescribed champex. She used it for a month and a half and she completely stopped smoking. She was a smoker for 40 years. Tried to quit on many occasions using nicotine gum and patches. Nothing worked until she tried Champex. She has not smoked for more than a year.

Noseworthy

Expert Member
My mom went to the doctor, he prescribed champex. She used it for a month and a half and she completely stopped smoking. She was a smoker for 40 years. Tried to quit on many occasions using nicotine gum and patches. Nothing worked until she tried Champex. She has not smoked for more than a year.

+1

used for 1 month and Im on month 2 no smoking

Zewp

Banned
I tried out the new Dunhill Switch when it just came out. Then I went out and got completely ****faced. And I mean completely. I had such a bad hangover that I was sick for days afterwards.

Ever since then if I just taste a cigarette I get sick all over again.

carstensdj

Expert Member
I've heard of that before actually. Will look into it. Thanks for sharing.

+1

used for 1 month and Im on month 2 no smoking
Congrats! Good luck and hope you manage to see it through bud

carstensdj

Expert Member
I tried out the new Dunhill Switch when it just came out. Then I went out and got completely ****faced. And I mean completely. I had such a bad hangover that I was sick for days afterwards.

Ever since then if I just taste a cigarette I get sick all over again.
Hahaha, well that's the 1st time i've heard of that method. Nice one

Howl

I gave up for 8 years, started again due to certain stresses at the time. Then gave up again last year November and started again this month, for same reason.

How I stop was pretty much will power each time. Just motivated myself and stopped.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I have never really seen "cutting down" lead to actually stopping.

I just stopped.

It's all about motivation really. If you have the right motivation then it makes it a lot easier to want to stop. If you don't want to you never will.

For me it was boobs, for my wife it was getting pregnant.

carstensdj

Expert Member
I gave up for 8 years, started again due to certain stresses at the time. Then gave up again last year November and started again this month, for same reason.

How I stop was pretty much will power each time. Just motivated myself and stopped.
Yea... I know the feeling!

carstensdj

Expert Member
I have never really seen "cutting down" lead to actually stopping.

I just stopped.

It's all about motivation really. If you have the right motivation then it makes it a lot easier to want to stop. If you don't want to you never will.

For me it was boobs, for my wife it was getting pregnant.
Sounds like you getting a bit of a raw deal there mate :D Boobs are a MUST, not motivation :wtf:

carstensdj

Expert Member
Sounds like you getting a bit of a raw deal there mate :D Boobs are a MUST, not motivation :wtf:
I've been told that if i stop for 6months the fiancee will pay for me to do laps around Killarney Race Track in a Nissan GT-R. I really need to stop and get my arse in that car!

carstensdj

Expert Member
I had to stop drinking :crying:
I feel your pain bud. Was told a year ago by Doctors i can't drink anymore due to a condition i have. Not THAT bothered by it generally but it does suck when you with your mates or celebrating something and can't have a bit of fun with the guys... But ya, drinking and smoking defs go hand in hand! When I could still drink i'd go through 2-3 boxes in one night out :sick:

lived666

Executive Member
I was quite a heavy smoker, smoked 30 plus a day and one winter morning went to wimpy for breakfast and they said smokers outside and there were a couple of people smoking in the freezing weather looking like absolute arseholes so I said **** this and quit. I used the quit spray - I don'y know if it is still available, but worked first go - add to that a lot of gum - normal gum, not the nicorette.
Anyhow its around 10 years now and never had the urge to restart.

carstensdj

Expert Member
I was quite a heavy smoker, smoked 30 plus a day and one winter morning went to wimpy for breakfast and they said smokers outside and there were a couple of people smoking in the freezing weather looking like absolute arseholes so I said **** this and quit. I used the quit spray - I don'y know if it is still available, but worked first go - add to that a lot of gum - normal gum, not the nicorette.
Anyhow its around 10 years now and never had the urge to restart.
Funny how sometimes it only takes one glance of something to make a person realize how silly it is despite always "liking" or "approving" of it. Well done mate!

pedruid

Expert Member
When I was 20 I was smoking 50 a day as I was in the RAF in a little place called Aden and they were 2 shillings an 3 pence in those days. Had a bad cold whilst still in the RAF and quit cold for more than 2 years. Carried a packet of Senior Service in my battle dress and used to have a sniff now and again next. Started back a few years later after having the odd fag in our rugby club on a Saturday night. Gradually got back up to 20/day and then quit cold again for about 9 years only to start back on Ritmeester Juniors, Cigarellos etc which went on for about 3 years and quit cold again. That's more than 40 years ago. You've got to want to give it up. My mothers breakfast until the age of 60 was a cup of tea and a fag. She died of emphysema 13 years later. It's tough but doable.

maumau

Honorary Master
Partied like crazy over Xmas and New Year a few years ago. Day and night.

One morning I woke up and couldn't face a cigarette. Next thing 2 weeks had passed and I haven't smoked since.