How did you STOP smoking?

eg2505

Honorary Master
never started, filthy habit that causes unimaginable pain and suffering for what exactly?
to look cool? like not wearing seat-belts? andother way to remove yourself from the genepool.

just wish my old man would quit, never been interested, and looks like he will smoke on his deathbed as well.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
At 18h00 today it will be 7 full seven days since my last cigarette - I really want to quit badly, so many times this week I wanted to go buy some - but I stood strong. I am not taking anything as a substitute - I just stopped ... After 7 days of being smoke free... what are my chances guys... ?
You have already made it through the first hard part, you just need to keep going now.
After that comes the 1-3 month mark where you think you have beaten it and your mind starts playing games with you. Its often at that point where you might have one thinking it wont be a problem and before you know it you are hooked again.
Avoid alcohol where possible, it always goes hand in hand with ciggies.

zulucat

You have already made it through the first hard part, you just need to keep going now.
After that comes the 1-3 month mark where you think you have beaten it and your mind starts playing games with you. Its often at that point where you might have one thinking it wont be a problem and before you know it you are hooked again.
Avoid alcohol where possible, it always goes hand in hand with ciggies.
This has always been my achilles heel when it came to quiting - so I have decided to avoid alcohol until end of March - or beyond if possible. Because I always find it impossible to drink without smoking!

EADC

Executive Member
This has always been my achilles heel when it came to quiting - so I have decided to avoid alcohol until end of March - or beyond if possible. Because I always find it impossible to drink without smoking!
Actually this is the worst thing you could do, the best is to actually keep drinking and get through the need to have a drink and a smoke.

It worked for me when I quit I did not stop drinking I carried on and eventually could drink without smoking.

The first few months I would only drink in situations where there wasn't smoking in the environment like at home or with friends who did not smoke once i could that a few times I eventually moved to doing it in an environment with smoking and It helped alot because I was already used to drinking and not smoking by then.

ronnie_94

Just woke up one day and did not light up a cigarette, kept myself extremely busy during the day so that I could not even think about smoking.

Been 5 years since and it was the best decision I could have ever made.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
For me personally I stopped both for a few months. I spent my time exercising and eating healthy.
I came out of it feeling so much better about everything.
When you know you have beaten smoking then its fine to have a few drinks, just try to avoid friends who will be smoking if you are going to drink!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Actually this is the worst thing you could do, the best is to actually keep drinking and get through the need to have a drink and a smoke.

It worked for me when I quit I did not stop drinking I carried on and eventually could drink without smoking.

The first few months I would only drink in situations where there wasn't smoking in the environment like at home or with friends who did not smoke once i could that a few times I eventually moved to doing it in an environment with smoking and It helped alot because I was already used to drinking and not smoking by then.
I stopped a few days before Christmas for similar reasons. If you can get through two weeks of Christmas and new year, you can get through anything.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I have not smoked cigarettes in 5 years but that feeling still comes back when you are drinking, dont think it disappears.

Now you know you WILL get that craving, or you would think that you want to smoke so tackle it head on, dont pussyfoot around it. Figure out now already how you are going to tackle the problem because if you drink again in March that little monster is going to poke its head out.

My opinion, go socialize but try to at least not drink that much in the beginning. The urge to smoke lasts like 2 minutes and by the looks of you you should be able to not give in during those 2 minutes.

Goodluck man and remember, it can only get better.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Love reading all the success stories. Good luck to everyone who quit this month.

zulucat

I have not smoked cigarettes in 5 years but that feeling still comes back when you are drinking, dont think it disappears.

Now you know you WILL get that craving, or you would think that you want to smoke so tackle it head on, dont pussyfoot around it. Figure out now already how you are going to tackle the problem because if you drink again in March that little monster is going to poke its head out.

My opinion, go socialize but try to at least not drink that much in the beginning. The urge to smoke lasts like 2 minutes and by the looks of you you should be able to not give in during those 2 minutes.

Goodluck man and remember, it can only get better.
Thanks man - appreciated.

KingBel

Expert Member
Smoked for more than 20 years.. started in the 2nd year of UCT.. boredom while working in the computer labs at night..
A pack / pack and a half a day.. and in the last 3 years tried vaping as well.. Spent a great deal on more powerful mods, bigger tanks etc.. in the end I just ended up vaping at night while sitting in front of my pc, and smoking cigs during the day.. didnt really reduce the habit in any way.

Last Wednesday (29th Jan), I listened to the entire 5 hours of the Allen Carr audiobook in one sitting.. and had my FINAL cigarette that Wednesday night. Have not touched the vape or the cigs since.

Granted it has only been one week (almost).. but I feel good.. and there are almost no cravings.

zulucat

Smoked for more than 20 years.. started in the 2nd year of UCT.. boredom while working in the computer labs at night..
A pack / pack and a half a day.. and in the last 3 years tried vaping as well.. Spent a great deal on more powerful mods, bigger tanks etc.. in the end I just ended up vaping at night while sitting in front of my pc, and smoking cigs during the day.. didnt really reduce the habit in any way.

Last Wednesday (29th Jan), I listened to the entire 5 hours of the Allen Carr audiobook in one sitting.. and had my FINAL cigarette that Wednesday night. Have not touched the vape or the cigs since.

Granted it has only been one week (almost).. but I feel good.. and there are almost no cravings.
Kudos to you man - I am Two weeks and 4 days clean now and I feel so much better - my girlfriend also complimented me on my ever fresh breath - these are some of the understated benefits! At gym and in bed, I can go on for longer without huffing and puffing - heart rate has dropped significantly as well. There are days when I think about cigarette and there are days when it doesn't cross my mind at all - strangely, I am more alert to how badly it smells now if someone is smoking near me. A day without a cig is one of the big hurdles, so we are on track. I am just praying that nothing bad happens that's going to drive me back to it because the last time I tried to quit, my friend passed away and before I even knew it, I was puffing again - but this time I am ready, I want to be there for my kids for much longer - God willing.

KingBel

Expert Member
Kudos to you man - I am Two weeks and 4 days clean now and I feel so much better - my girlfriend also complimented me on my ever fresh breath - these are some of the understated benefits! At gym and in bed, I can go on for longer without huffing and puffing - heart rate has dropped significantly as well. There are days when I think about cigarette and there are days when it doesn't cross my mind at all - strangely, I am more alert to how badly it smells now if someone is smoking near me. A day without a cig is one of the big hurdles, so we are on track. I am just praying that nothing bad happens that's going to drive me back to it because the last time I tried to quit, my friend passed away and before I even knew it, I was puffing again - but this time I am ready, I want to be there for my kids for much longer - God willing.
Great going! Yeah I hear you about the stink issue.. I decided not to change my lifestyle since I quit.. as I wanted to truly test my resolve.. so I went to my regular friday night at my local pub.. surrounded by smokers. I was tempted at times, but I held strong.. the thing I did notice the next day though is how my clothes stunk of smoke. (I guess this is what non smokers have to deal with all the time when they are surrounded my smokers in pubs and clubs)

Can I ask what method you used to quit?

zulucat

Great going! Yeah I hear you about the stink issue.. I decided not to change my lifestyle since I quit.. as I wanted to truly test my resolve.. so I went to my regular friday night at my local pub.. surrounded by smokers. I was tempted at times, but I held strong.. the thing I did notice the next day though is how my clothes stunk of smoke. (I guess this is what non smokers have to deal with all the time when they are surrounded my smokers in pubs and clubs)

Can I ask what method you used to quit?
I just woke up and decided... THAT'S IT. I guess the reason of why I started no longer exists, I was a student doing a difficult course when I started and it's finished it now - I thought smoking made me think better, be smarter.

But I have just downloaded the audio book you mentioned - additional arsenal won't hurt I guess. I think it's the warfare of the brain that we are involved in and we need to win whatever means necessary. It's not always easy.

KingBel

Expert Member
I just woke up and decided... THAT'S IT. I guess the reason of why I started no longer exists, I was a student doing a difficult course when I started and it's finished it now - I thought smoking made me think better, be smarter.

But I have just downloaded the audio book you mentioned - additional arsenal won't hurt I guess. I think it's the warfare of the brain that we are involved in and we need to win whatever means necessary. It's not always easy.
Would definitely recommend reinforcing the mindset by listening to the Allen Carr book. He has a totally different approach to the Willpower approach that most of us use to stop smoking.

Essentially , we need to start thinking like non-smokers. When non-smokers encounter a stressful situation, they are not itching to have a smoke.. so why do we?

zulucat

Tonight at 18h00 I will be hitting full three weeks being smoke free, and after listening to Allen Carr audio book I think I can say that I have more than enough ammunition to finally quit for good - the guy is simply phenomenal - had to listen to it twice for some reinforcement and it works. I can not imagine myself smoking again. He lays it all out there - helps you deal with the inner demons that often plague people who try to quit cigarette. I did not like that his delivery borders on brain-washing the listener a little bit - but for what it's worth... It works.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Tonight at 18h00 I will be hitting full three weeks being smoke free, and after listening to Allen Carr audio book I think I can say that I have more than enough ammunition to finally quit for good - the guy is simply phenomenal - had to listen to it twice for some reinforcement and it works. I can not imagine myself smoking again. He lays it all out there - helps you deal with the inner demons that often plague people who try to quit cigarette. I did not like that his delivery borders on brain-washing the listener a little bit - but for what it's worth... It works.
Awesome news man! See, its actually so fcking easy to just stop, so easy!

Well done. If you feel uneasy in the coming weeks, just listen to it again.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
About 26 Hours smoke free. Using patch though. I am struggling a bit I have to say. Yesterday was pretty much climbing the walls and could not sit still and well, lets just say what I did yesterday to the BF borders on sexual harassment lol. He is the one that wanted me to stop smoking .... so he is gonna have to pay the price. :ROFL: :laugh:

After the patches are finished (think I have 3 left) then not going to continue with them. For me the biggest thing is the actual habit.

KingBel

Expert Member
About 26 Hours smoke free. Using patch though. I am struggling a bit I have to say. Yesterday was pretty much climbing the walls and could not sit still and well, lets just say what I did yesterday to the BF borders on sexual harassment lol. He is the one that wanted me to stop smoking .... so he is gonna have to pay the price. :ROFL: :laugh:

After the patches are finished (think I have 3 left) then not going to continue with them. For me the biggest thing is the actual habit.
Well done Ockie! I do believe that you should try the Allen Carr book though.. you need to change the mindset that you are giving up nicotine as if giving up is some sort of sacrifice. The correct mindset is to rather think of it as "escaping nicotine".. You will find that the cravings will be much less.. perhaps even non-existant.

zulucat

You have achieved already. Well done. Keep strong. It gets easier - it's like grief... difficult at first, then with time you get better