How did you STOP smoking?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Well done Ockie! I do believe that you should try the Allen Carr book though.. you need to change the mindset that you are giving up nicotine as if giving up is some sort of sacrifice. The correct mindset is to rather think of it as "escaping nicotine".. You will find that the cravings will be much less.. perhaps even non-existant.
Thank you. A friend of mine who has also encouraged me to try and quit again has told me about this Allen Carr thing. He apparrently went to a workshop or something of his....but it was bloody expensive. He said he went to it and walked out of there and never touched a cigarette again. I am very sceptical of things like that though, specially considering how expensive it is .... but I did not know there is a book you can read. Thought you have to go to the workshop stuff.

I have quit cold turkey before, even without the patches.....so I know I have it in me. I just tend to turn into a a rather unpleasant person while I am doing it. When my sister gave me the patches she made it clear that when I start, I am not to come visit her. Last time I quit we were living on the same property and well, I pretty much would go ape **** if she just looked at me funny. At least now I am not like that, but turning into a sex fiend seems to be my other coping mechanism if that avenue is open to me lol.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Thank you. A friend of mine who has also encouraged me to try and quit again has told me about this Allen Carr thing. He apparrently went to a workshop or something of his....but it was bloody expensive. He said he went to it and walked out of there and never touched a cigarette again. I am very sceptical of things like that though, specially considering how expensive it is .... but I did not know there is a book you can read. Thought you have to go to the workshop stuff.

I have quit cold turkey before, even without the patches.....so I know I have it in me. I just tend to turn into a a rather unpleasant person while I am doing it. When my sister gave me the patches she made it clear that when I start, I am not to come visit her. Last time I quit we were living on the same property and well, I pretty much would go ape **** if she just looked at me funny. At least now I am not like that, but turning into a sex fiend seems to be my other coping mechanism if that avenue is open to me lol.
Sail the high sees...

ponder

Honorary Master
Probably uses NLP which you can teach yourself.

Asgard85

Ah ok. I see. Thank you for that. ;) I will give it a go. Nothing to loose.
Ditch the patches and listen to the book. Just do as it says and you will stop smoking. Brainwashing or not the result is that it works, and makes it easy at the same time. No more climbing walls and shouting at family members.
It took me three or so days to get through the audiobook and I had my last puff 577 days ago. Easy.

NBC

My wife asked me, if not now, when? We were both smokers, she quit a year before I did (after 23 years of smoking). It's a mind thing. It's almost like a switch that was flipped. It sounds cliche, but believe me, the decision is the hard part, once you make it, it's easy. Just do it, and don't doubt yourself. Use Champix or Zyban if you need to, but do it. What helped me is, I kept EVERYTHING the same: my routine, habits etc. And DO NOT replace your smoking with anything else. Not even mints or chewing gum or anything. Then you are just replacing one bad habit for another. Rid yourself completely.

Make no mistake, it's hard initially, but it's only for a short while. You won't be sorry. Best decision I ever made. Today it's around 6 years later, and I don't even think about it anymore.

Be like Nike. You really can.
If anyone still reads this thread...

It is now 5 years (could be 6, not sure) of no smoking. Oh, and one year sober now as well. There is hope, do it!