How far will you make it without a degree

[)roi(]

Executive Member
- No one mentioned how long, or how quickly they were able to do so
- No one without a degree mentioned what motivation they would need in order to obtain a degree relevant to the field of Computer Sciences, Informatics or Mathmatics.
I completed my degrees only in the latter part of my life; primarily as a way to focus on areas of mathematic (FP related) that were of interest to me; and formalising it made it easier to allot time for it.
... meaning for the majority of my time I did not have a degree and it never hindered me in any way; neither locally or internationally, and hence my approach is not measure a person solely on the degrees they brandish.

Reality is if degrees were all that mattered to ensure success then South Africa and America wouldn't have so many degreed people flipping burgers.

|)roi(| - you are untaggable.
I take it that has something to do with the name.

cheesus

You can also get pretty far by being a self-employed web developer, nothing stopping anyone from building websites for money. It is highly unlikely that your credentials would even be discussed, so many more self-taught programmers than any other sort. It is more likely that you are going to be asked for a portfolio and that is what you will be judged upon.

Botha22

Degree / academic / qualifications inflation is real. Jobs that did not require a degree 10 years ago now do, simply because of too many candidates for limited vacancies.

If you can, get your degree. Add your experience and certifications to the mix, and you have given yourself a fair chance to compete and succeed.