How much it costs to insure your tech devices

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How much it costs to insure your tech devices

The need to insure digital devices has increased as technology becomes an increasingly important part of our lives.

Most people have multiple devices, including laptops, smartphones, and tablets, which are prime targets for thieves.

beans100

Honorary Master
The need to insure digital devices has increased as technology becomes an increasingly important part of our lives.
You get good quality devices for next to nothing, that works just great. Why do I need a R20 000 phone plus insurance if a R2500 phone without insurance can do the same.

R13...

Honorary Master
Or you can add them to your all risk home contents and not pay anything additional for each individual device.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
You get good quality devices for next to nothing, that works just great. Why do I need a R20 000 phone plus insurance if a R2500 phone without insurance can do the same.
Peasant mindset. If you can afford to drive a Mercedes, why would you opt for a Tata Indica... because it also gets you from point A to B?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Or you can add them to your all risk home contents and not pay anything additional for each individual device.
It doesn't work like that.

They are excluded from general all risks and must be specified, which carries a premium cost per item.

Nothing in life is free.

Maybe you meant it will be cheaper, which is usually true.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Peasant mindset. If you can afford to drive a Mercedes, why would you opt for a Tata Indica... because it also gets you from point A to B?
Because I'd rather spend my money on a better house than a depreciating car. But what do I know, I'm just a peasant.

R13...

Honorary Master
It doesn't work like that.

They are excluded from general all risks and must be specified, which carries a premium cost per item.

Nothing in life is free.

Maybe you meant it will be cheaper, which is usually true.
Not if you're with the right insurer. I just did mine last week and it includes R80k worth of portables that are normally taken out the house like laptops, jewellery, phones, etc. My **** isn't worth that much but it's the min they do.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Not if you're with the right insurer. I just did mine last week and it includes R80k worth of portables that are normally taken out the house like laptops, jewellery, phones, etc. My **** isn't worth that much but it's the min they do.
But you are paying for that 80k total in your premium.

It’s not like it’s free, which is what you tried to make it sound like.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I use Loom for my high value tech items.
I use Granadilla. Excess reduces monthly from 15% to 7.5% which is pretty decent. Loom and Pineapple is fixed at 15%.

Really like the Granadilla app. If you notice your phone value dropping you just adjust the slider accordingly and they pay you back a pro rata amount from when you have reduced the cover. Very cool. They also pay back a portion of your premiums if you don't claim.

waylander

Expert Member
I use Granadilla. Excess reduces monthly from 15% to 7.5% which is pretty decent. Loom and Pineapple is fixed at 15%.

Really like the Granadilla app. If you notice your phone value dropping you just adjust the slider accordingly and they pay you back a pro rata amount from when you have reduced the cover. Very cool. They also pay back a portion of your premiums if you don't claim.
Will definitely check them out, thanks!

waylander

Expert Member

Pre-existing conditions
So you lost your **** and threw your gadget at your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/dog [insert applicable thing here]
An insurance company with such an unprofessional way of communicating is a bit of a turn-off... Will still look into them but this is a red flag for me.

R13...

Honorary Master
But you are paying for that 80k total in your premium.

It’s not like it’s free, which is what you tried to make it sound like.
I'd pay the same with or without owning any portables is what I'm saying. It is a benefit of bundling car and household contents. If I separate them then I do have to pay for specified and then I end up paying a lot more

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Because I'd rather spend my money on a better house than a depreciating car. But what do I know, I'm just a peasant.
Who said people who are spending money on a better car spending less on a house? You CAN have it all you know - just work harder.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

They seems good, through the device can't be older than 2 years. Will compare the prices with pineapple.

Pineapple paid out of my old tv without an issue, so quite happy with them for now.