How much water do you use?

LiPO

30Kl per month.
Washing gets done twice a week, irrigation once a day around 20min, 5min per cycle.

It jumped to 50kl per month two years ago, was a leaky toilet in the maids quarters. Huge leak, no noise, was a smooth sheet of water running into the toilet. Wasted 20kl per month.

neoprema

Executive Member
Something just struck me - I see this invoice says "actual reading" the previous 2 were "estimated"

I wonder if its not playing catch-up? We moved in to this place 3 months ago.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Prob a kL per day for me (1 person living alone).

Borehole and pump, so zero water bills for me. Cost around R40k to get the borehole drilled (equipment hire and wages) and a few k for tanks and pumps.

joker08

Expert Member

Borehole and pump, so zero water bills for me. Cost around R40k to get the borehole drilled (equipment hire and wages) and a few k for tanks and pumps.
How does that work with ur council bills ? I mean they normally charge u a percentage of water use to calculate sewage.
But if I don't use water from council at all ,is there a fixed amount they charge u ?

Aghori

Honorary Master
How does that work with ur council bills ? I mean they normally charge u a percentage of water use to calculate sewage.
But if I don't use water from council at all ,is there a fixed amount they charge u ?

Nada. I did not install or apply for water or meters when I built the estate.

chrisc

Honorary Master
Just 2 of us. We have an excellent well and 2 x 2500l jojo tanks which fill up in 15 mins rain

So 6.5 kl per month for us

2-3 showers per day
Flush the toilet 5 times
Dishwasher every day
Washing machine twice a week

rog163

Does this include filtration to use water in the house?

Azimuth

Expert Member
10,000L per month for a family of 4.

There are 3 x 2,500L storage tanks for rain water which last well into summer for pool top-ups and garden irrigation.

While I’m not a fan of grey water harvesting (I removed the system in my new house), we have been gathering bathroom water for well over 5 years and bucket-flushing the toilets…

I still plan to add another 3 x 5,000L tanks which will then supply the house during the rainy season.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
2 adults, 6KL. If it rains quite a bit in the month this goes down to around 4KL as we use the rainwater for the washing machine.

Shocked by some of the people's water usage here. Guess they don't live in the Western Cape.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Hmm
i need to figure out whats causing this then. Our meter outside doesn't look like its running away when no water is being used but I'll check to be sure.

I did refill the pool about 4 times in the month and the garden has a large 5-zone automatic sprinkler system the previous owners installed that we use twice a week - but that still shouldn't be anywhere near so much?
You need to compare apples with apples - anyone without an irrigation systems feedback is basically irrelevant. 5 zones twice a week could easily use that. What sprinklers are they? Some sprayers are more efficient than others some can be absolute water hogs. How long is each zone running. Many sites like hunter will indicate what the sprinkler uses an hour so you could do a rough calc to see if its correct or what your expected water usage would be.

For example

1636320056148.png

One interesting thing to note on your bill your sanitation is linked to your consumption. In short you have 10kl consumption you will be charged for 10kl sanitation.

Also pool top ups are quite water intensive if its a large pool. Might be a good idea to get a cover to help with evaporation and if it looks excessive check that you dont have a leak

Your usage doesnt sound impossible but as I said apples with apples

Last edited:

neoprema

Executive Member
You need to compare apples with apples - anyone without an irrigation systems feedback is basically irrelevant. 5 zones twice a week could easily use that. What sprinklers are they? Some sprayers are more efficient than others some can be absolute water hogs. How long is each zone running. Many sites like hunter will indicate what the sprinkler uses an hour so you could do a rough calc to see if its correct or what your expected water usage would be.

For example

View attachment 1183524

One interesting thing to note on your bill your sanitation is linked to your consumption. In short you have 10kl consumption you will be charged for 10kl sanitation.

Also pool top ups are quite water intensive if its a large pool. Might be a good idea to get a cover to help with evaporation and if it looks excessive check that you dont have a leak

Your usage doesnt sound impossible but as I said apples with apples
I have no idea lol it’s a rain bird decide and we set it to do 5 zones at 30 mins each and then sprinklers pop up from under the lawns or in the bushes and it jets all over the place

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I also live in a complex where the whole complex is on a share water basis and gets added to the prepaid electricity as a service fee by impact metering.

People that live downstairs go crazy washing cloths every single day non stop and I get angry because people don't give a damn.

Some months a R1000 electricity voucher only gives me ~280 units or so because of the high water usages by careless people.
Thats nuts
I also live in a complex and luckily no one abuses the water that I am aware of. But I have brought it up at every AGM that we must install water meters to all units so that we can monitor each flats usage. People that rent here just love watering the garden especially when there is rain coming that night. Idiots

Snyper564

Honorary Master
I have no idea lol it’s a rain bird decide and we set it to do 5 zones at 30 mins each and then sprinklers pop up from under the lawns or in the bushes and it jets all over the place
on top of the sprinkler it has a number google that. For example if its 3l a minute you have 10 which is 30l a min x that by 150 and X that by 8-10 times a month should give you an idea how much its pulling

Lupus

Honorary Master
ouch 26kl this month, but gardener has been watering the lawn quite a bit.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
2 adults and 2 teenagers in my house. We used to use about 22KL per month, and then I bought a fancy new front-loader washing machine to replace our top-loader and now we're using about 16 to 17KL per month. Don't underestimate how much water a top-loading washing machine wastes!