How people remember their online passwords

bwana

MyBroadband
I use Apple's built in Keychain synced across all my devices.

Billy

Expert Member
Most sites that require a password are not sites of a critical nature. I see no reason to not have a global common password for those.

Critical sites such as banking need safer passwords.

Sites that require complex passwords are just asking for people to write the password down. (SATRIX was one of these a few years ago, but had a change of heart)

Each site developer seems to treat passwords as if their site is the only one that you visit. In reality the average internet user ends up with trying to remember dozens of different passwords if not hundreds.

Perhaps it is now time for fingerprint authorisation on sites?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Mine is a random combination IE 56J9x012j4x6

Standard across all accounts, devices etc but then you get some that require a special character and that involves throwing in a @ or # or ^ or *, which makes it a pain...

I like having a single password for all but if someone works it out I'm fcked...

Messugga

Honorary Master
Mine is a random combination IE 56J9x012j4x6

Standard across all accounts, devices etc but then you get some that require a special character and that involves throwing in a @ or # or ^ or *, which makes it a pain...

I like having a single password for all but if someone works it out I'm fcked...
Your random combination isn't really more secure than say, a passphrase like "mypasswordish4rd!" and the latter is easier to remember.

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Well whether you have a good password or not, if you lose your smartphone and make use of your email on your mobile, whoever steals your phone can find out all your login details pretty easily if they really wanted to.

Most people have automatic login on their email on their phone which means whoever has access to your phone, has access to you mails. Most logins I forget, usually just require a username and email address to reset it or to get it sent to you. The username would have been sent to your email when you first registered. So all the info should be available to the criminal.

Sites which are important usually requires a cell number as well, like the banks etc. The dude with your phone also have that...if your bank stuff like statements also go to your email then account numbers and adresses are there to be found as well.

Because of the above I dont use my mobile email adress for important stuff. And don't link my phone directly with my work email. Whoever steals my phone will have to steal my laptop too, or have to somehow get access to my work email.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Well whether you have a good password or not, if you lose your smartphone and make use of your email on your mobile, whoever steals your phone can find out all your login details pretty easily if they really wanted to.

Most people have automatic login on their email on their phone which means whoever has access to your phone, has access to you mails. Most logins I forget, usually just require a username and email address to reset it or to get it sent to you. The username would have been sent to your email when you first registered. So all the info should be available to the criminal.

Sites which are important usually requires a cell number as well, like the banks etc. The dude with your phone also have that...if your bank stuff like statements also go to your email then account numbers and adresses are there to be found as well.

Because of the above I dont use my mobile email adress for important stuff. And don't link my phone directly with my work email. Whoever steals my phone will have to steal my laptop too, or have to somehow get access to my work email.
:wtf: just change your password and tick the box to logout of all current signed in browsers. As a failsafe you can remotely wipe the phone.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Your random combination isn't really more secure than say, a passphrase like "mypasswordish4rd!" and the latter is easier to remember.
True except now and then you find yourself having to enter your password with a either a family member or a friend or a colleague half looking over your shoulder. Attempting to make sense of a random sequence of key presses is a frivolous exercise.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
True except now and then you find yourself having to enter your password with a either a family member or a friend or a colleague half looking over your shoulder. Attempting to make sense of a random sequence of key presses is a frivolous exercise.
Not the issue. You can brute force yours too easily with current computing power.