How to save data in WhatsApp

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
How to save data in WhatsApp

Mobile data is expensive in South Africa, and it can deplete much faster than you think.

WhatsApp can be a major source of mobile data depletion, especially if you have not configured it to conserve data when not connected to Wi-Fi.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Thanks for the reminder. I keep my phone on mobile-data lockdown (only essentials get through) but my mom is always running out of airtime and I know she is always joining WhatsApp groups. Will have to check her settings and limit the media downloads to wifi only.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
now instructions for other platforms :p
Telegram X:
Either press the hamburger icon or swipe from left edge rightwards when in the chat.
settings
data and storage
toggle the data saver option, can edit when to turn on on the option below, can use tick box for mobile data or when roaming.

You can then also change the use less data for calls option, either never, mobile network or always.

Below that are the options for automatic media download, with the option to control it for private chats, groups or channels.

Then there is an advanced option where you can restrict based on the size of the media and on which connection it is.
1539283733377.png

kianm

Honorary Master
KKK my problem is signal, I don't know how I'm using 2gigs in the first 10 days of the month

sajunky

Honorary Master
Why? Google FoolPlay Services eat 10 to 13MB per day while I don't use any. Can't compare this volume to Whatsapp. Looking forward for the artiicle how to prevent Google FoolPlay Services from stealing my data.

Any takes? .LOL.

Besides, Facebook saves your Whatsapp data for you.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Why? Google FoolPlay Services eat 10 to 13MB per day while I don't use any. Can't compare this volume to Whatsapp. Looking forward for the artiicle how to prevent Google FoolPlay Services from stealing my data.

Any takes? .LOL.

Assuming you mean Google play services? You do realize other apps integrate with it, right? E.g. Gmail, Maps, WhatsApp backups, etc. and most Google Add services go through it as well.
My usage for the framework is at 14MB this month, 35MB last month.

Dave

Honorary Master

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Any takes? .LOL.

What does Google play services have to do with this article... And you seem to be the only person who has a problem with all technology really.

And again.. Evidence of this Facebook claim of yours please.

sajunky

Honorary Master
What does Google play services have to do with this article... And you seem to be the only person who has a problem with all technology really.
Google FoolPlay Services consume my data even I don't use it, while no my apps use it, as these who are are either disabled or deleted. Only Google FoolPlay Services cannot be disabled. Google Background Transport Service is disabled and still consume data.

Whatsapp do not consume my data when I don't use it, so I don't care, only Facebook do care.. ;)
It is why I am requesting an article how to save data consumed by Google FoolPlay Services. It is a large amount to ignore it.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How about you stop acting like a 3yr old with your funny names and refer to things by their correct names... At least you would make yourself look like less of an idiot...

Speedster

Executive Member
Google FoolPlay Services consume my data even I don't use it, while no my apps use it, as these who are are either disabled or deleted. Only Google FoolPlay Services cannot be disabled. Google Background Transport Service is disabled and still consume data.

Whatsapp do not consume my data when I don't use it, so I don't care, only Facebook do care.. ;)
It is why I am requesting an article how to save data consumed by Google FoolPlay Services. It is a large amount to ignore it.
Best way for you to save data would be to turn your phone off for a few days. Actually never turn it on again and you'll never have it use data again

3WA

Executive Member
Interested in getting opinions here: do you expect someone to check in with you before they WhatsApp voice call you?

I get unduly angry with people who just call me without checking in first. After all, if I'm not on WiFi, I have to use my resources (mobile data) to listen to their mundane drivel.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Interested in getting opinions here: do you expect someone to check in with you before they WhatsApp voice call you?

I get unduly angry with people who just call me without checking in first. After all, if I'm not on WiFi, I have to use my resources (mobile data) to listen to their mundane drivel.
I don't think WhatsApp voice calls use enough data for me to bother.

Speedster

Executive Member

I'm on Telkom FreeMe. WhatsApp use is free

gamer16

Honorary Master

Is this you?