How to turn an Android smartphone into a desktop PC

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
This would probably work for my wife, she already uses her phone for everything.

MickZA

Executive Member
If you only used a pc for general use, why not just have a single device?

Single device?
Firstly, you’ll need a monitor for your smartphone-powered desktop interface.

You will project your smartphone screen to this display, so it is recommended that you connect a Chromecast to your screen to cast your device’s display over your home network.

By casting your screen to the display this way, you will still be able to use your device’s microUSB or USB-C slot to charge it when running.

A Bluetooth mouse and keyboard combination is the obvious choice for using with a smartphone, and can easily connect to Android devices.

You can connect USB input devices to your smartphone using an OTG cable, but this will occupy the charging slot.

... that's a real Heath Robinson solution and I don't regard Android as the most refined OS I've ever used either!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Using a Chromecast your phones display will constantly be on depleting your battery. Terrible article.

saor

Honorary Master
Single device?
I meant the idea of having your phone act as your pc and your phone - a single device you've always got with you. The better phones get, the less need most people will have for separate devices all over the place: Why have a pc when your phone can connect to a dock and function like a desktop?

MickZA

Executive Member
I meant the idea of having your phone act as your pc and your phone - a single device you've always got with you. The better phones get, the less need most people will have for separate devices all over the place: Why have a pc when your phone can connect to a dock and function like a desktop?
Might be good in theory but even Mark Shuttleworth has thrown in the towel where convergence is concerned - https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/881414-Ubuntu-18-04-To-Ship-with-GNOME-Desktop-Not-Unity

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Single device?

... that's a real Heath Robinson solution and I don't regard Android as the most refined OS I've ever used either!
1. Many people already own a TV you can use.
2. Many people already own a wireless mouse and keyboard. They're also cheap as chips otherwise anyway.
3. Many said TV's also come with Miracast making the need for a Chromecast redundant...

MickZA

Executive Member
1. Many people already own a TV you can use.
2. Many people already own a wireless mouse and keyboard. They're also cheap as chips otherwise anyway.
3. Many said TV's also come with Miracast making the need for a Chromecast redundant...
... with Android as an OS? - come off it!

jammio

If you only used a pc for general use, why not just have a single device?

May work for some people I guess. I have a chromecast on my TV, a large monitor for my laptop and an android phone. I need ALL THE THINGS

Thor

Honorary Master
Leave this to apple. They will give us a Dex like experience that works.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Now you're just being ridiculous ...

http://phandroid.com/2017/04/04/android-internet-usage-2017/

We already know Android is, by far, the biggest mobile platform in all the lands, and it looks like it may finally take the crown for biggest overall OS.
Statcounter’s latest research shows that Android internet usage has surpassed Windows for the first time. The narrow is pretty margin, with both within a fraction of a percentage of each other at 37%, but it’s still a pretty big deal.
Microsoft is facing a slow decline.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Using a Chromecast your phones display will constantly be on depleting your battery. Terrible article.

See:

By casting your screen to the display this way, you will still be able to use your device’s microUSB or USB-C slot to charge it when running.

So, it might hammer the battery to charge it permanently, but calling the article "terrible" is a bit over dramatic.