HP Proliant Server DL360 G3 - replace server drives.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We had a burglary recently, and the thieves stole the two hard drives out of our server.

They were 80 Gb drives in RAID.

How can I go about buying replacement drives for this server?
Where do I go?
Who can sell me these... new or second hand?

Heeeelllpppp!

Kroks

I had a look at the specs of the server and it uses Ultra320 drives. They haven't made those drives for a few years now. The bigger problem is the hot swop brackets for the drives so you wil have to get HP drives. Best would be to contact HP directly and see if they might have some. The will keep stock for servers that have maintenance contacts, but a new set might be a problem to procure. Give em a call ... http://www8.hp.com/za/en/contact-hp/phone-assist_2.html if you can get hold of a "simpathetic" agent they might be able to help you out. But be warned it might not be cheap...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So can I still get the server working if I use some other type of drives?

bekdik

Honorary Master
maybe get insurance to write the machine off and replace it?

SomeoneEls

We had a burglary recently, and the thieves stole the two hard drives out of our server.

They were 80 Gb drives in RAID.

How can I go about buying replacement drives for this server?
Where do I go?
Who can sell me these... new or second hand?

Heeeelllpppp!

I have a few 75GB 10000RPM ultra320 SCSI drives from a ML360

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Would go with "retiring" said server and getting a new one.

Reasons why :

1. UltraSCSI is old hat. Getting drives is problematic and iffy.
2. SATA and SAS (Serial attached SCSI) is the norm, and drives (SATA) is freely available.
3. Server motherboard technology also advanced. Best to get a 64-bit motherboard as you can still run a 32-bit OS until you want to upgrade to a 64-bit system.

Don't let SAS fool you by thinking that it uses SCSI - it uses SATA hard drives, most commonly in a RAID system.

Also, get a proper RAID controller. I was a HP boi until I discovered that the HP RAID does not alert you to drive failures - but an Intel RAID will as it will emit a beep at regular intervals should a drive fail or a RAID array get degraded.

Good luck, hope the inn-sewer-ants will write said server off...