HTC Tattoo or Nokia 5800

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I'm trying to decide between the two. It seems that the Nokia is better, though I've always wanted a HTC phone and this one has the Android OS. Any advice you can offer? I found both really cheap on contracts. I'm trying to decide between them now.

kvi

Expert Member
my gf has the tattoo and i have the hero. the tattoo is awesome, however it is the entry level android htc, so the screen isnt as high res as the hero. but seriously, you have to go with the phone you are in love with

ps Android is friggen amazing.

midkemia

Hi

Im also busy choosing a phone. There are 2 other options to choose from : E52 and HTC Magic.

the magic is about R500 more than the tattoo, but has the same screen as the hero/dream, it also has a roll ball.

the E52 is about the same price as the 5800, but has a faster CPU 5800 = 300mhz and E52 = 600mhz.

Also a something to think about is the 5800 and tattoo have "resistive" screens and not "capacitive" screens, which means you basically need to use a stylus with them, making it quite difficult to use while driving etc.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Look for the same price ALWAYS go with HTC/Android. Symbian is not a real touchsceen OS. The 5800 poorly coopts symbian into doing what it was never built for. The Tattoo is a great phone. However 5800 has a better screen and probably better battery life.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Sigh. Tough choice still. The 5800 has great specs - better than the Tattoo.
PS: The 5800 has a 434Mhz CPU, not 300.

kvi

Expert Member
if its a choice between tattoo and magic, then magic always wins. has same hardware/screen as hero, just no 3.5mm jack plug and no sense ui

Hi

Also a something to think about is the 5800 and tattoo have "resistive" screens and not "capacitive" screens, which means you basically need to use a stylus with them, making it quite difficult to use while driving etc.
Thanks im gonna check that e52 review out but you shouldnt be playing with cellphones while driving ;)

cerebus

Honorary Master
5800 is decent but it's like...fake touchscreen ykwim? It's excellent for listening to or watching stuff but not a real smartphone. Android is a real OS.

mercurial

MyBB Legend

midkemia

I actually ordered a Tattoo on Monday, and I canceled the Order and Ordered a Magic Today... It was another R500... and looking at GSM arena, it scores more points, and people are not moaning about it as much. The biggest negative thing about the Tattoo was that alot of the applications dont show on the market place, as the screen is to small, and the developers have actually specified that the application cant run on the "small" screen of the tattoo.

Thanks im gonna check that e52 review out but you shouldnt be playing with cellphones while driving ;)
... E52 and bluetooth headset means you say the callers name...

but ya... what i meant to say was... it is difficult to use the phone while preoccupied with your other hand...

If you look at the technology of the touch screen... "resistive" ... MOST phones that come with this type of technology use a stylus (in nokia 5800 it is a pluck)...

http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=display-type
CAPACITIVE touchscreens work by sensing the electrical properties of the human body, while RESISTIVE ones operate by sensing direct pressure applied by the user.

The RESISTIVE type can be activated by pressing not only with human skin but also with a stylus and thus allow handwriting recognition input.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Hmmm... that has actually now swayed me away from getting the Tattoo. Maybe I should just cough it up and get the Hero.

cerebus

Honorary Master
you make it sound as though resistive>capacitative. Capacitative is WAY better in use than resistive.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Cellucity at V&A Waterfront have a really good special on the 5800.

The 5800 is free on a weekender contract at R135 per month.
There is also a limited offer where you get the Samsung Jet and Samsung C6625 free on the business call (R185 p/m).

Trix

I'm also faced with similar choices. The payin on my topup315s for the Hero is R2k+!! I was looking at the Satio (payin R1.6k better than hero but still high) as the wife has a 5800 (no payin) and I wanted something with a lower payin and different to 5800 yet familiar as I'm using a nokia 6110 nav now. Tattoo is R360 payin and magic is R740 payin. I wasn't sure about HTC, as a friend had some nasty problems with his WM touch pro, but it seems that the android HTC's are a lot better. I was also leaning towards the tattoo, but noticed that the magic (V32A not B) has same specs as Hero except for the 3.5mm plug and 5MP cam and all are gonna be able to be updated to android 2 apparently. So I'm gonna go for the magic as I can live without the better cam and plug for the price. Also it seems the tattoo doesn't come with a doc reader whereas magic and Hero do. I'm gonna wait for better availability and stock for the new deals in Feb which will hopefully be better.