Huawei Considers Rivals to Google's Android

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Here lies is an opportunity for Blackberry to live (yet) again? :unsure:

If all options are on the table, what is stopping Blackberry from selling a new software solution to Huawei? With enough adoption, the apps will come.

Not saying it's the best idea, but it is something to consider. "Huawei, powered by Blackberry". I'd give that a second look.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Here lies is an opportunity for Blackberry to live (yet) again? :unsure:

If all options are on the table, what is stopping Blackberry from selling a new software solution to Huawei? With enough adoption, the apps will come.

Not saying it's the best idea, but it is something to consider. "Huawei, powered by Blackberry". I'd give that a second look.
BB no longer have a software platform that would be able to compete, they stopped developing Blackberry OS after version 10 in 2013.

JustAsk

Expert Member
There's nothing like necessity to make hard decisions.

It will be a bumpy ride in short term but will be lucrative on the long term. Even if this theatre comes to an end later, they can start loading their inhouse os on their budget phones to test.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Hmm mobile version of Ubuntu? Its so lightweight anyway we can have a nearly fully fledged version on our phones.
There is such a thing already, called Ubuntu Touch.

The only problem is Canonical stopped developing it awhile ago, and now its just a Community Project...

gamer16

Honorary Master
There is such a thing already, called Ubuntu Touch.

The only problem is Canonical stopped developing it awhile ago, and now its just a Community Project...
I see its still being updated which is good. Now, for the important question, can it run Crysis?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I see its still being updated which is good. Now, for the important question, can it run Crysis?
Of course its still being updated... but for a large Enterprise to base their OS choice on a Community Project would be VERY brave of Huawei, since they would have no SLA's or support structures to fall back on if there are major issues.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Of course its still being updated... but for a large Enterprise to base their OS choice on a Community Project would be VERY brave of Huawei, since they would have no SLA's or support structures to fall back on if there are major issues.
I see. But hey they gotta start somewhere, competing with Google though is quite futile at this point I think, they need to make another plan, perhaps use the Kennedy solution.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Arm just torpedoed their phone business. This discussion may be moot :(

carstensdj

Expert Member
It still wouldn't get around the fact that one wouldn't be able to have app such as Youtube on their phone. I can deal with no Google Maps (use Waze) and Gmail (Use Thunderbird) and to a degree, the Play Store. There are other stores with more than enough apps on it.

What would get me is YouTube and YouTube Music. I use them a lot and am not too sure what App could possibly replace Youtube videos? There just isn't really an alternative for Youtube.

YouTube music, sure... I have a huge collection of my own music which I can sync to my phone from my PC at home and can use Deezer or Spotify but I already have my music library of artists that I like within Youtube music so it would be a ball ache to have to recreate all that.

gamer16

Honorary Master
It still wouldn't get around the fact that one wouldn't be able to have app such as Youtube on their phone. I can deal with no Google Maps (use Waze) and Gmail (Use Thunderbird) and to a degree, the Play Store. There are other stores with more than enough apps on it.

What would get me is YouTube and YouTube Music. I use them a lot and am not too sure what App could possibly replace Youtube videos? There just isn't really an alternative for Youtube.

YouTube music, sure... I have a huge collection of my own music which I can sync to my phone from my PC at home and can use Deezer or Spotify but I already have my music library of artists that I like within Youtube music so it would be a ball ache to have to recreate all that.
Sure you can still have YouTube, the app may be browser based and not have direct Google support but as far as the end user goes you'll see very little difference.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
My point exactly. Huawei has to be very brave if they wish to survive. So what do they have to lose by inviting companies to revive old OS's that are now deprecated? Yes lots of development needed to modernise it, but it's a base to start work on.

gamer16

Honorary Master
My point exactly. Huawei has to be very brave if they wish to survive. So what do they have to lose by inviting companies to revive old OS's that are now deprecated? Yes lots of development needed to modernise it, but it's a base to start work on.
Or, and this is just a suggestion, shoot Trump.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Other than Ubuntu Touch, Tizen and AOSP... nothing is current... so not something that they can spin up and modernise in a short time frame... it would be years of work to get any of the options other than those 3 up to spec....