Huawei HiLink modems (E303, E3131, etc.)

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I have been loaned a E303 modem for testing (thanks GreGorGy!).

I am stuck at this point:
Once you have switched to to serial mode using http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html and there are no compatibles drivers for the device, it will probably appear in your device manager as an unknown device under Other devices.
Two new 'Huawei HiLink' devices appear in my Device Manager, but Windows cannot find drivers for them.

At this point, no resources will be assigned to the device, so you will not know what COM port to use to address the modem. Without being able to address the COM port of the modem, it will not be possible to switch it back to HiLink mode in Windows, effectively bricking the modem, unless u have access to a Linux box to recover the modem back to HiLink mode.
Don't worry about bricking the modem, it seems the http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html switch is not permanent. As rmage wrote above, as soon as you unplug the modem it reverts to HiLink mode.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
How to switch Huawei E303 to modem mode (Windows)

Pre-requisites:
An existing installation of Huawei Mobile Partner or a recent version of the standalone Huawei drivers.

After the initial installation from the virtual CD-ROM, when the modem is plugged in it appears in XP's device manager as a 'Windows Mobile-based Internet Sharing Device' under Network adapters. The name is slightly different in Windows 7 (can someone please post a screenshot or the name?). The hardware ID of this device is:
USB\Vid_12d1&Pid_14db&Rev_0102

While in this mode, the modem is controlled through a web interface on http://192.168.1.1/.
The serial port can be enabled by visiting http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html.

After doing this, the network device disappears and two unknown devices appear with the following hardware IDs:
USB\Vid_12d1&Pid_1442&MI_00
USB\Vid_12d1&Pid_1442&MI_01

Windows does not know which driver to install for these devices, but fortunately the driver is provided by Mobile Partner and just needs slight modification. This procedure only needs to be performed once.
Assuming a default installation of Mobile Partner, locate the file ewser2k.inf and open it in Notepad or Wordpad.
On English systems the file will be located at C:\Program Files\Mobile Partner\Driver\Driver\X86 on 32-bit systems and C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobile Partner\Driver\Driver\X64 on 64-bit systems.
Near the start of the file you should see a section named [QcomSerialPort].
We need to add the following lines:
Code:
%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_00
%QcomDevice00% = QportInstall00, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_01
...so that Windows knows which driver to use for these devices.
A good place would be in between PID_143E and PID_1448, so the modified portion of the file should look like this:
Code:
[QcomSerialPort]
%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_143E&MI_02
[b]%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_00
%QcomDevice00% = QportInstall00, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_01[/b]
%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1448&MI_01
Now right-click on each unknown device in turn and tell Windows you will select the driver and point at the location where you found ewser2k.inf as above.
After doing this, the devices should now appear as a 3G PC UI Interface and a 3G Application Interface under Ports.

MDMA is able to detect the modem in this state and can be used to check signal strength and send USSD commands, but in order to connect to the internet (establish a dial-up connection), we need to go deeper and enable the modem interface.

You can download Terminal and open the 3G PC UI Interface, COM3 in this example, and send the following AT commands:
Code:
AT^U2DIAG=0
AT+CFUN=4
AT+CFUN=6
This enables the modem interface and resets the modem so that it will appear.
Alternatively, you can use MDMA with the /hwstorage:0 command line switch to send the ^U2DIAG command and reset the modem automatically.

Hopefully the modem will now be recognized and the drivers automatically installed. The hardware IDs should now have changed to:
usbcdcacm\Vid_12d1&Pid_1c05&MI_00
usbcdcacm\Vid_12d1&Pid_1c05&MI_01
usbcdcacm\Vid_12d1&Pid_1c05&MI_02

Returning to HiLink mode:
To return the modem to HiLink mode you can either use Terminal again and open the 3G PC UI Interface, this time COM7 in the example above, and send the following AT commands:
Code:
AT^U2DIAG=119
AT+CFUN=4
AT+CFUN=6
...or run MDMA with the /hwstorage:119 command line switch. Otherwise, simply unplug the modem and plug it in again.

Tested on Huawei E303, hardware version CH2E303SM, firmware version 22.157.46.00.00.

Last edited:

JimM

Expert Member
Tested ginngs procedure on a E3131 with Windows 7 32bit.

However, I found the file ewser2k.inf in:

C:\Program Files\Mobile Partner\Driver\Driver\Driver.00\Win7\X86

I had to use the Let me pick driver to force the driver to load... But all 100% OK now and I can use USSD via MDMA! Modem Software version: 22.157.39.00.105

Last edited:

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Tested ginngs procedure on a E3131 with Windows 7 32bit.
Would you mind confirming the hardware IDs of the E3131 in its various modes, please?

JimM

Expert Member
In COM Mode:
Application Interface: USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&REV_0102&MI_01
UI: USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&REV_0102&MI_00

NDIS:
USB\VID_12D1&PID_14DC&REV_0102&MI_00

To exit from conventional Mobile Partner mode without unplugging the modem: Run MDMA and hit Reset Device button and close MDMA.

leonmelson

Hi I would also like to get my E303 into dailup mode my hardware version is CH2E303SM same as yours ginggs but my software is older then yours 22.157.39.00.00 I have tried the updates on the HLINK page but it shows as up to date.
I followed your walk through and almost everything works the same there is only 1 part that I might be doing wrong when I open the terminal and connect to com5 my 3G PC UI Interface it show data being received on com5 is that correct.

I still went ahead and added the AT commands it displays in the receive box but does not do anything to the modem and then when I remove and reinsert the dongle it goes back to default.

I think there might be something I am doing wrong.

Will adding the AT commands with the terminal make the setting permanent or will it still reset after removal.

Thx
Leon

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I followed your walk through and almost everything works the same there is only 1 part that I might be doing wrong when I open the terminal and connect to com5 my 3G PC UI Interface it show data being received on com5 is that correct.
I'm not sure what you mean here. When you send one of the AT commands, for example AT^U2DIAG=0, you should see in the receive window something like:
Code:
AT^U2DIAG=0

OK
In other words, the modem should echo back the command you sent, as well as a response. Normally 'OK' or 'ERROR'.

Have you tried running MDMA with the /hwstorage:0 command line switch?

Will adding the AT commands with the terminal make the setting permanent or will it still reset after removal.
Unfortunately, this modem always seems to reset itself back into the HiLink mode when you unplug it.

Last edited:

leonmelson

Hi thx for the reply the terminal command does not respond with OK or ERROR just show the AT command.

I have tried MDMA with command /hwstorage:0 and it does work.

Let me explain what I want to do I have a 3g router"TL-MR3420" and I want to use Vodacom's unrestricted APN but if the E303 connects on the router it does not allow me to do port forwarding when I look on the router what the ip from the internet is it shows an local network ip 192.168.1.1 that the e303 provides but the e303 does not seems to send somekind of DMZ to that ip so no Port Fowarding but the internet works.

I also have a e353 and that is always in modem mode so when I used that on the 3g router it connects with the internet ip showing on the router's status and then I can do Port Forwarding.

Thx in advance for you help any info will appreciated.
Leon

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Let me explain what I want to do I have a 3g router"TL-MR3420" and I want to use Vodacom's unrestricted APN but if the E303 connects on the router it does not allow me to do port forwarding when I look on the router what the ip from the internet is it shows an local network ip 192.168.1.1 that the e303 provides but the e303 does not seems to send somekind of DMZ to that ip so no Port Fowarding but the internet works.
You can try flashing an unofficial firmware onto the TP-Link:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...es-support-for-E3276-modem-on-TP-Link-routers

Otherwise you may just be better off with a "normal" modem.

Aquacile

Hey Guys okay now this is all good and well, I have a E3131 Huawei Modem.

I did the following:

I pasted http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html in my browser and my Hlink Disconnected, then saw the unidentified HUAWEI devices in Device Manager. Now whats the Code to put into the ewser2k.inf file for the E3131?

I have also already downloaded Terminal app. I basically only now need to edit the ewser2k.inf file with the code and then send the other code (AT^U2DIAG=0 AT+CFUN=4 AT+CFUN=6 to the correct comport? Can you guys please help I am not very clued up with these kind of stuff.

Greatly appreciated

Aquacile

What would the FULL code be and where would you insert it between what lines? And maybe a screenshot of where to do what in Terminal Window would be great

Example of full code:

%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_143E&MI_02
%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_00
%QcomDevice00% = QportInstall00, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1442&MI_01
%QcomDevice01% = QportInstall01, USB\VID_12d1&PID_1448&MI_01

Sorry but please be more specific when replying since I am a noob at these stuff :)

browjo

Hi

I followed the instructions from Ginggs to put a E3131 into modem mode. After doing this I could successfully update the firmware to E3131Update_21.158.00.00.1020.B757 from the following link https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Huawei_E160_and_E1762_MBB_modem#toc_4.

The modem now stays in modem mode and I can use Mobile Partner to connect each time. When I get a chance I'll try this in a TP-Link router to see if it is recognized.

John

NinCom

Pre-requisites:

MDMA is able to detect the modem in this state and can be used to check signal strength and send USSD commands, but in order to connect to the internet (establish a dial-up connection), we need to go deeper and enable the modem interface.

You can download Terminal and open the 3G PC UI Interface, COM3 in this example, and send the following AT commands:
Code:
AT^U2DIAG=0
AT+CFUN=4
AT+CFUN=6
This enables the modem interface and resets the modem so that it will appear.
Alternatively, you can use MDMA with the /hwstorage:0 command line switch to send the ^U2DIAG command and reset the modem automatically.
<.

Hello,
I have a E3276 Hilink Hardware version CH2E3276SM , Firmware 22.250.04.01.24. Win7 64bit.
I get ERROR when i send AT^U2DIAG=0
When i send AT+CFUN=4 i get this ;
+CREG: 0

+CGREG: 0

+CGREG: 0

OK

^SRVST: 0

^MODE: 0,0

When i send AT+CFUN=6 i get
OK

Then Hilink popups in browser 192.168.1.1 ..

, and in mdma i can't send /hwstorage:0.

When i open mdma it detects the modem, but then the Hilink page popup in my browser(192.168.1.1)

Some info
NDIS;
USB\VID_12D1&PID_14DB&REV_0102
USB\VID_12D1&PID_14DB

COM Mode
3G Application interface
USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&REV_0102&MI_01
USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&MI_01

3G PC UI interface
USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&REV_0102&MI_00
USB\VID_12D1&PID_1442&MI_00

I need som help please

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Hi

I followed the instructions from Ginggs to put a E3131 into modem mode. After doing this I could successfully update the firmware to E3131Update_21.158.00.00.1020.B757 from the following link https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Huawei_E160_and_E1762_MBB_modem#toc_4.

The modem now stays in modem mode and I can use Mobile Partner to connect each time. When I get a chance I'll try this in a TP-Link router to see if it is recognized.

John

Sorry for the bump.

Did it work in your TP-Link router?

ebendl

Expert Member
Just wanted to add my experiences trying to get my E3131 to work on Windows 8.1 and my Mikrotik router.

Interestingly enough mine came with firmware version 22.001.14.01.105. It automatically enabled HiLink mode (as all of them do).

First pain is when HiLink starts while you have another network device in your machine also using the 192.168.1.1 gateway, you have to disable the other one first to be able to get to the HiLink page (including the http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html page).

I switched modes to modem only and got two devices with the same device IDs as JimM reported. I then tried to install the drivers as ginggs suggested (awesome post - thanks!). This is where I ran into problems. I updated the INF file, but unfortunately Windows 8 doesn't allow you to install an unsigned driver by default (or if you change the INF file and the hashes do not match it will stop you).

After a bit of additional research I found this page: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/08/06/getting-older-drivers-to-work-in-windows-8/ where the guy basically explains to install drivers without the warning you have to
- find advanced startup options in Windows (search in the Windows 8 start screen for "change advanced startup options")
- select the "Recovery" item on the left
- click "restart now" under "Advance Startup"
- Wait for Windows to reboot. You'll land in a new screen where you can change advanced options. Look around - there's a mode to restart with "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode. Click it and restart again
- You will now be able to install the drivers.

I then proceeded to user Terminal to set the modem into modem mode permanently. I got "OK" at all three AT commands.

Unfortunately, the modem just doens't want to connect. It starts up fine with Mobile Partner and MDMA but gets unknown errors or "connection disconnected" type errors. It also does not want to work in my Mikrotik router. I tried with an Afrihost Mobile SIM and a Vodacom one and both seems to have the same probles.

I found this very frustrating and eventually decided to flash to E3131Update_21.158.00.00.1020.B757 as suggested by browjo since it seems that his worked fine. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the firmware, I got an error warning me that I need a password. Eventually discovered this: http://www.modemunlock.com/error-solution-during-firmware-update-huawei-modem.html

Basically because I was doing a downgrade I needed to enter the flash code which was generated here: http://www.modemunlock.com/huawei.php using the IMEI.

So finally I got the firmware loaded. Mobile connect can now successfully connect and the modem doesn't default into HiLink.

However, the Mikrotil router picks it up but receives absolutely now data - it only transmits. :(