Huawei Mate 20 Lite

Fox1

Expert Member
I saw some promos on the local Huawei Facebook page about the local launch of the Mate 20 Lite coming up but no date has been given. This the first time SA will be getting a Mate Lite device and looking at the success of the P20 Lite, the Mate 20 looks like it can do better.

Any idea when we can expect the phone to launch locally?

Specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_lite-9284.php

Sumen

Expert Member
I saw some promos on the local Huawei Facebook page about the local launch of the Mate 20 Lite coming up but no date has been given. This the first time SA will be getting a Mate Lite device and looking at the success of the P20 Lite, the Mate 20 looks like it can do better.

Any idea when we can expect the phone to launch locally?

Specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_lite-9284.php
They did this with the P20 lite, the phone will just appear in catalogues without prior announcement.

My guess it will go on sale next month.

Tcyte

They launched today with a reasonable price... But the new Samsung A7 might be the real deal in the mid tear

Dolby

Honorary Master
That's a pretty decent phone at the R8,999 price in your link!

I just wonder why those lenses protrude by 1mm ... I'm hoping the lens itself isn't flush with the sides in order to cause scratching when the phone is put down? Happened to my Sony Z2 and although it was a decent camera, after 2 years there was lens flare and everything due to the scratching.

Fox1

Expert Member
I saw the P20 going for R9,999 at Takealot. The Mate 20 Lite doesn't have a dedicated AI chip and it seems to be software based. It's a minor upgrade from the P20 Lite that doesn't justify being double the price.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I saw the P20 going for R9,999 at Takealot. The Mate 20 Lite doesn't have a dedicated AI chip and it seems to be software based. It's a minor upgrade from the P20 Lite that doesn't justify being double the price.
As with all phones, the first month or two is crazy expensive before dropping to a 'normal' price. This phone is likely going to be R7,000ish or lower.

It's a little tough to compare these one off specials or clearance pricing of a last gen phone, to pricing of a just about unreleased phone.

Tcyte

It's more machine learning... But I love the bigger screen though and their awesome Q mojies..