Huge SAA flight cancellations

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Huge SAA flight cancellations

South African Airways has “cancelled nearly all its domestic, regional, and international flights” for Friday and Saturday, the airline announced.

“The cancellations follow an announcement by the South African Cabin Crew Association (SACCA) and the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) that their members will embark on industrial action from Friday morning,” said SAA.

SilverCode

NUMSA and SACCA are demanding an 8% increase
wtf? How can unions demand an increase way above inflation at an SOE that is bankrupt and overstaffed? Are they that out of touch with reality?

Anyway, SAA recently stated that their biggest costs are wages and fuel. If the workers go on strike, they don't have to pay wages. If they cancel the flights, they don't have to pay fuel costs. So since SAA is already making a loss, it would seem that just not operating would be saving them money.

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
wtf? How can unions demand an increase way above inflation at an SOE that is bankrupt and overstaffed? Are they that out of touch with reality?
The unions know the ANC regime does not have the stomach to oppose them so they pretty much have them by the short and curlies. Might as well extract as much money out of the tax-payers before it all collapses.

Sugarman

Making Sugar
We are already bailing it out.

The debt at least won't get bigger when it is dead, and the other airlines will get a massive boost with it. So the industry as a whole will be much better.
You are living in SA right, with cANCer at the helm looting and pillaging wherever they go, they would keep this money hole going, so they can keep on stealing

The Free Radical

The unions know the ANC regime does not have the stomach to oppose them so they pretty much have them by the short and curlies. Might as well extract as much money out of the tax-payers before it all collapses.
They not getting a cent out of me. Have restructured all my business affairs. I will no longer participate willingly or unwillingly in organized crime perpetuated by this rogue ANC government by paying taxes. I'm a contentious tax objector.

smi

Expert Member
I'm beyond being sympathetic for this SOE anymore, that isn't good

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm beyond being sympathetic for this SOE anymore, that isn't good
Actually in this, I am vaguely sympathetic to SAA...

Where my sympathy has gone into monumental negative values is for the 3000 members of the Unions at SAA who are demanding an 8% increase, and now striking.

Honestly, shuffle the assets around into different legal entities and shut SAA down at this point. Those 3000 creatures don't actually want to really work and have a job if they go on strike at this point.

Reactions: McT

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I have a little bit of sympathy to the workers in the way they were notified, the unions aren't wrong about that BUT something needs to happen. I also don't think the actual workers are the problem though.