Hyperion Dev - is it a good move?

Brenz

I am 37 and started learning in January. We are in the same boat :)

What path are you looking at going? Web dev, or software?
Web dev, im just at a cross roads now trying to decide where and how to study, as I will still be working full time.

bchip

Expert Member
Yes unfortunately 3 years is a long time for me to invest in a BSc, I am on the older side already, mid 30's, so am looking for a direction to get my foot in the door at a junior level and then work my way up while doing whatever learning I have to on the side.
Maybe consider doing the degree at the same time you get work as a junior dev?
Be upfront in the interviews about your keenness to learn.
Maybe try and find a situation where you can study and do work at the same time, (not necessarily one after the other)?

As a suggestion:
Goals
- Year 1 - Spend 12 months going through udemy/coursera courses
- Spend time building your own projects
- Year 2 - Register for degree if you are still keen
- Start looking for work as a junior dev
- Year 5 - complete degree with (hopefully) 2 years experience

?

Faziki

I did their Software Dev Bootcamp, Data Science and currently busy with their web developer bootcamp. if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask :)

Basane

I did their Software Dev Bootcamp, Data Science and currently busy with their web developer bootcamp. if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask :)
Hey Faziki, how far did you get with hyperion? Were you able to get a job or are still busy with the bootcamp?

Basane

I am 37 and started learning in January. We are in the same boat :)

What path are you looking at going? Web dev, or software?
Hey just wanted to know how your experience has been with hyperion? Were you able to secure a job or interviews through them?

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
Hey just wanted to know how your experience has been with hyperion? Were you able to secure a job or interviews through them?
Heya. I never went with them. I ended up getting a free 6-month pass to Treehouse's tech degree path. I did Hyperion's free trial, and found it lacking. You basically get the same material of freecodecamp for..free. If you need your code reviewed, there are countless people on the forums that would do it for you for free.

I have come across someone on a slack channel that is busy with them. She says she hasn't heard anything from them in terms of helping here as of yet (Interviews and the like). But that there is an alumni type of message board where you can post job offers and whatnot.

For the price they want per month, I would try somewhere else first to see if this is something you want to pursue. Do it until you start getting into Javascript/Python languages and not HTML/CSS to see if you dig it.