Installing Sonoff Mini but no neutral in switch box.

IchigoK

So I am starting my Smart Home journey by installing smart light switches but I can't find a neutral wire in the light switch boxes and they are not behind the box either. My apartment is less than 3 years old. Would it be advisable to run neutral wires to the light switch boxes?

I still need to check behind the light fittings themselves but I'm looking for advice in case that's a bust as well.

Speedster

Honorary Master
So I am starting my Smart Home journey by installing smart light switches but I can't find a neutral wire in the light switch boxes and they are not behind the box either. My apartment is less than 3 years old. Would it be advisable to run neutral wires to the light switch boxes?

I still need to check behind the light fittings themselves but I'm looking for advice in case that's a bust as well.
If no neutral you'd need something like the Shelly 1

Crowley

Executive Member

I had to run neutral wires from all my lights. Replaced the light fittings with LED lights while I was doing it but it is really not that hard to do if you have fish tape.

thehuman

Expert Member

Can use existing red cable to pull a draw cable , use draw cable to pull new neutral and original red to light fitting.

Kawak

Expert Member
It's normal for light switch boxes not to have neutral, you can easily use existing live wire to pull through multi core cables (how many depends on your decision of smart device).

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
For the light to have continuity through the switch one of the two wires connected to the switch will be live and the other will be neutral?

Just use a multi meter to see which is which.

upup

Executive Member
Can't you connect that thing at the light. The other day I pulled wires thru, there was no spare place in the pipe, used a sirfix extra, luckily it was in a corner hidden away.

Thor

Honorary Master

If you are in the northern suburbs then I have a very affordable electrician for you that ran neutral wires to all my plugs in my apartment and he also installed the Sonoff Light Switches for me.

In essence sonoff = you need a neutral

You could use a shelly 1, that thing is small and goed behind your light switch, this allows you to use any face you like (but if you use mechanical it will be odd as off can be on and on can be off depending on the state) so I prefer to then go for a touch plate OR just ran a neutral as I did.

Dolby

Honorary Master
You could use a shelly 1, that thing is small and goed behind your light switch, this allows you to use any face you like (but if you use mechanical it will be odd as off can be on and on can be off depending on the state) so I prefer to then go for a touch plate OR just ran a neutral as I did.

The Shelly 1 also requires a neutral . The only two Shelly devices that don't are the Shelly Dimmer 2 and Shelly 1L.

I hate a touch plate myself and rather go for a mechanical / tactile switch any day - either lever or push button.

The mechanical on / off is really not off at all, as you'll see that most people flip the light the other way and don't even realise where the switch was initially.

If it were me? I'd take the electrician as above and get a neutral pulled down, and then install a Shelly 1

Thor

Honorary Master
The Shelly 1 also requires a neutral . The only two Shelly devices that don't are the Shelly Dimmer 2 and Shelly 1L.

I hate a touch plate myself and rather go for a mechanical / tactile switch any day - either lever or push button.

The mechanical on / off is really not off at all, as you'll see that most people flip the light the other way and don't even realise where the switch was initially.

If it were me? I'd take the electrician as above and get a neutral pulled down, and then install a Shelly 1
Sorry, I meant Shelly 1L not Shelly 1

Speedster

Honorary Master
If you are in the northern suburbs then I have a very affordable electrician for you that ran neutral wires to all my plugs in my apartment and he also installed the Sonoff Light Switches for me.

He's alive!

kennedym

I also don't have neutral.
A correct size capacitor would work quiet easily.
Check at ACDC, they have no neutral smart switches, basically comes with a capacitor you connect at the light. Very easy to setup. No need to run neutral to the switch.

IchigoK

I also don't have neutral.
A correct size capacitor would work quiet easily.
Check at ACDC, they have no neutral smart switches, basically comes with a capacitor you connect at the light. Very easy to setup. No need to run neutral to the switch.
Thanks, but I ended up changing to the Shelly 1L instead.

Danzo83

HI Thor, do you have his number for me. I need someone to run neutral wires for me.