Internet Connection Sharing and Neotel

B2048

Hi

Seeing that the ethernet device for Neotel turned out to be such a let down - being tied in with a whole new package :( would anyone be able to advise me on their setup of the Neotel Prime device with a wireless router?

There are so many wireless routers out there I am not certain which one would work best with ICS and Neotel.

Any advice on which one to choose and how to go about setting it all up?

I run Windows XP. So no offense to any Linux gurus out there :D

B.

fingers@fingers.co.za

it's fairly simple. enable ics as you would any other time, but select the wireless port instead of your usual lan port. I did this for my ps3 (which sits a floor below my study) and it works fine. (NOTE: I use this for downloading updates, not playing online)

B2048

Thanks, Fingers!

Which wireless router model do you use?

B.

rtzouves

Hi

Seeing that the ethernet device for Neotel turned out to be such a let down - being tied in with a whole new package :( would anyone be able to advise me on their setup of the Neotel Prime device with a wireless router?

There are so many wireless routers out there I am not certain which one would work best with ICS and Neotel.

Any advice on which one to choose and how to go about setting it all up?

I run Windows XP. So no offense to any Linux gurus out there :D

B.

It really is quite simple. Any wireless router would do as you are really not going to need anything more than the most basic connections. Simply connect the two pc's to the router either via RJ45 or wireless connection then go to the pc with the neotel connected to it and follow these steps:

1. Right click the neotel connection in the connection manager of vista (not neoconnect manager) and select sharing.
2. should see three tick boxes for various sharing options. I would select them all for an unmanaged connection. Click ok and it should save all those settings.
3. Assuming you do not have XP SP3 (if you have SP3 skip to step 6/7 as it will automatically set the rest) you will now need to set the LAN connections IP address, etc. Go to the icon for the connection from the pc with neotel to the router and right click and select properties.
4. Select tcp/ip(version 4) and then click properties.
5. Set to be configured manually and input the following numbers:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Leave this blank
DNS primary: 192.168.0.1
Alternate DNS: leave this blank

6. save the above and go to the other pc.
7. find the icon in network connections for the wireless connection to the router (i assume you have connected it to the router already).
8. right click the connection and select properties.
9. Select tcp/ip(version 4) and then click properties.
10. Set to be configured manually and input the following numbers:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x(replace x with any number from 2-254)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

11. Save the above settings and surf the web.

NB!!!!!!!! You must not use the neoconnect manager as for some wierd and, in my opinion, stupid reason the neoconnect manager creates a whole new neotel dial-up connection every single time you open it. This obviously "undoes" all the sharing and auto-redial connection changes you make. From this point on just uses the dial-up connection in vista/xp.

Offering Support:
If you need any more help you are welcome to pm me and we can meet up and i can set it all up for you if you like. I see we live fairly close to each other.

Last edited:

B2048

thanks, rtzouves! I will try it out when I get home.

RichardG, that router looks very nice but is probably way out of my price range!

:D

B.

joekruger

So....did it work?

I was thinking of switching to Neotel Prime too, but I have a PC, Laptop, iPod Touch and PS3....all of which needs a internet connection.

My networking sucks so let me just ensure I understand this correctly. With the instructions above I can configure it so my main home PC acts as a server, which allows other devices to connect to wireless router and use Neotel connection as well?

Flashgear

Flashgear
I was thinking of switching to Neotel Prime too, but I have a PC, Laptop, iPod Touch and PS3....all of which needs a internet connection.

My networking sucks so let me just ensure I understand this correctly. With the instructions above I can configure it so my main home PC acts as a server, which allows other devices to connect to wireless router and use Neotel connection as well?

Yup. I followed the steps above and all was working. You must just remember that you must dial a connection through Windows not through the Neotel Application otherwise the connection doesn't get shared.

Neotel

It really is quite simple. Any wireless router would do as you are really not going to need anything more than the most basic connections. Simply right connect the two pc's to the router either via RJ45 or wireless connection then go to the pc with the neotel connected to it and follow these steps:

1. Right click the neotel connection in the connection manager and select sharing.
2. should see three tick boxes for various sharing options. I would select them all for an unmanaged connection. Click ok and it should save all those settings.
3. Assuming you do not have XP SP3 (if you have SP3 skip to step 6/7 as it will automatically set the rest) you will now need to set the LAN connections IP address, etc. Go to the icon for the connection from the pc with neotel to the router and right click and select properties.
4. Select tcp/ip(version 4) and then click properties.
5. Set to be configured manually and input the following numbers:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Gateway: Leave this blank

6. save the above and go to the other pc.
7. find the icon in network connections for the wireless connection to the router (i assume you have connected it to the router already).
8. right click the connection and select properties.
9. Select tcp/ip(version 4) and then click properties.
10. Set to be configured manually and input the following numbers:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x(replace x with any number from 2-254)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

11. Save the above settings and surf the web.

Offering Support:
If you need any more help you are welcome to pm me and we can meet up and i can set it all up for you if you like. I see we live fairly close to each other.

@ mods: Please make this a sticky in the NeoConnect FAQ section.

PeteGT

Do you need to use those Ip's? I use 10.10.10.100 as my Main Desktop with the Neotel Connection, then my router assigns from 101-200 using DHCP. Laptop, Xbox and MVix can see the network but no internet.

busker

Do you need to use those Ip's? I use 10.10.10.100 as my Main Desktop with the Neotel Connection, then my router assigns from 101-200 using DHCP. Laptop, Xbox and MVix can see the network but no internet.

You need to set the Gateway in your router to your desktop's IP (10.10.10.100), at the moment the DHCP server is likely sending out the wrong gateway IP.

Path0geN

Afaik, windows ICS has to use 192.168.0.1 as the IP for the PC on which ICS is enabled??

I tried manually setting up my network at first (not using the guide posted by rtzouves) using my wireless router to do the DHCP and route all requests to my pc.... FAIL

Even when assigning pcs with manual IP addys with the correct gateways etc it FAILED.

Eventually i just let my PC do the DHCP (after ICS is enabled it can automatically assign IP addresses) and just used the router for it's wireless connection (no routing) which works like a charm.

You can get ICS to work using the Neotel Application but it consistantly screws with the ICS, so rather dial up straight from the pc.

My 2c :)

medicnick83

Paramedic
I have the normal Neotel device as well as my 'wifi' router that I had from my Telkom account.

MY PC is setup as the gateway with the Neotel connection shared (set IP's) and the PC's around me go through my PC.

Oh, on the router, I had to turn off DHCP... my setup wouldn't work till I turned it off.

Last edited:

PeteGT

You need to set the Gateway in your router to your desktop's IP (10.10.10.100), at the moment the DHCP server is likely sending out the wrong gateway IP.

Everything is setup right in terms of those gateways.
BTW I hate Windows ICS.

PeteGT

Once again Windows Rears it ugly head, so stupid that you cant change your IP. Oh well, I'll change it all to 192.168.0.1 tonight and see if that works.

PeteGT

Hmmm, that could be a problem.

Shouldn't really, I've got a Netgear wireless router. My Xbox and my Mvix see the network and browse it perfectly. My laptop also has no issues around the house. Just the damn internet connection doesn't show up on any device.
I'm hoping resetting all my IPs will do the trick.