Intl. slow/down in Cape Town - SAIX

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Not sure if anyone else is affected?

Any notices on the SAIX noticeboard?

killswitch

I'm in Cape Town on DSL 4mb, but getting download speeds around 20 - 50kbps only.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I'm on IS but also getting horrific speeds. Yeesh..

TheRift

Expert Member
On IS and Saix here, both sucking speed wise. :p 1k/sec on IS on international. I think the cold weather has frozen my bits ... <-- in a clean sense.

TheRift

Expert Member
Well, I think it's definitely a stupid CPT issue. If I fire up openweb's proxy I can get 35-50K/sec international using local bandwidth. :p

Skragg

"If I fire up openweb's proxy I can get 35-50K/sec international using local bandwidth" - im new to this - how would one go about doing that? Im also gettin really bad speeds on SAIX :\

TheRift

Expert Member
Buy the local IS account from openweb and their openbrowse 512k package. I have a 4Mb line, so 512k is way less than I'm used to. Downloads are not allowed with openbrowse, but for general browsing it kicks butt. I use the rest of the 4MBit speed for my downloads (well, not this week thanks to crap IS and Saix international in CPT). My ADSL is used by 2 people constantly after hours, so bandwidth used to get chewed up, but with openbrowse I sure do seem to be saving a ton on costs.

advnet

Hi All

Can you tell me which areas in capetown you're in?

Thanks

TheRift

Expert Member
Parklands/Tableview.

Checked my IS stats. Says several disconnects @ Bellville. :p

cerebus

Honorary Master
I'm in Somerset West. I wish openweb allowed you to use openbrowse with any ISP. I suppose that's too much to ask though. *sigh*

I've been considering moving to Openweb for a while now.

Last edited:

Skragg

Been getting full speed(38kb/s) on my 384 line the ENTIRE weekend! And having an Mweb account which is unlimited local after I cap it makes it all the more sweeter :D

assasin20xe

Been getting full speed(38kb/s) on my 384 line the ENTIRE weekend! And having an Mweb account which is unlimited local after I cap it makes it all the more sweeter :D

Dude this thread is 4 months old and you replying only now!:eek: