iPad mini nears production says sources

7" iPad?

tumblr_m3thrqqYOo1qfssyl.jpg

Yes please, I think it would be great for one handed reading, whereas current iPads are just a little too big and heavy for that.

I do think Apple will bring out something to fill the gap between 3.5" and 10". I just hope it won't be a mini-iPad.

On my wishlist is a bigger iPod Touch, say about 5", with a SIMcard slot. What's the difference? well, it would run the iphone rather than the iPad version of iOS. I actually prefer many apps in their iPhone/iPod Touch version. Flipboard, for example, is more usable on the Touch than on the iPad. On the iPad it is a case of wild guesswork if this particular content provider wants me to swipe sideways or up to get to the next page of a news item. On the Touch it is far more consistent. If only the screen wasn't so tiny.

Of course one way for Apple to resolve this is to create a setting letting me decide which version of a Universal app I want to run on the (mini-)iPad. Like that's ever going to happen! Another opening for a jaibreak app?

Well it makes my choice easier.

I have a iPad 1st Gen, so instead of getting a 3rd gen I would get this inna second.

Would have to depend on the screen resolution amongst other things. I'm all about retina. Have you seen the iPad3's irl? Afreakinmazing.

Would have to depend on the screen resolution amongst other things. I'm all about retina. Have you seen the iPad3's irl? Afreakinmazing.

(If this is real), it probably won't be retina, it'll be 1024x768. That'll be ok with me though. It will be a cheaper device.

I'm a blind old bat. Curently Sporting a new Xperia that kicks Retina's display in the face(342ppi vs 319ppi), yet I would go I dont see what all the fuss is about.

So I doubt that would influence my decision to get this instead of the iPad 3 upgrade.

A 7" iPad will do very well. It will outsell the larger one in the long run. I have the whole range of Samsung Androids S2, Note, 7" Plus and 10.1 and the 7" is by far the most practical device for things other than phone tasks. 10" is nice for home use but not as good on the move as the 7". Watching movies and reading books work great on the 7".

Again, Apple realise what consumers want and copy what is already out there. After already somehow gobbling up the tablet market with only one device to "choose" from. Sigh.

Again, Apple realise what consumers want and copy what is already out there. After already somehow gobbling up the tablet market with only one device to "choose" from. Sigh.
Don't be sad, I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you one :whistling: :p

I'm a blind old bat. Curently Sporting a new Xperia that kicks Retina's display in the face(342ppi vs 319ppi), yet I would go I dont see what all the fuss is about..
Let me try to make sense of what you said: "I'm a blind old bat" and "I dont see what all the fuss is about" -- possibly time for some LASIK surgery? :whistling: :p

Jokes aside, do you know if it's properly implemented in Android I.e. to take advantage of the Retina display? I.e. all UI elements have to be pixel doubled or more without the physical size / aspect changing.

I would imagine this is more difficult to achieve the Android has not maintained controlled aspect ratios and hence the UI engines dynamically scale elements to Ui and this behavior can be counter to realise benefits of Retina dense displays.

[)roi(];8265227 said:
Let me try to make sense of what you said: "I'm a blind old bat" and "I dont see what all the fuss is about" -- possibly time for some LASIK surgery? :whistling: :p

Jokes aside, do you know if it's properly implemented in Android I.e. to take advantage of the Retina display? I.e. all UI elements have to be pixel doubled or more without the physical size / aspect changing.

I would imagine this is more difficult to achieve the Android has not maintained controlled aspect ratios and hence the UI engines dynamically scale elements to Ui and this behavior can be counter to realise benefits of Retina dense displays.

Dude I have an iPhone 4 not the S and yes I know its higher PPI when I look really really close. Still doesnt make a diff for my day to day use at normal distance if I compare it to my old HTC.

Dude I have an iPhone 4 not the S and yes I know its higher PPI when I look really really close. Still doesnt make a diff for my day to day use at normal distance.
You do get that it was a joke ;) ("really really close" -- makes me think so)

But the question around the Implementation in Android is just me trying to understand if they have properly adapted the standard Android UI algorithms to work with higher PPI displays.

Yet because there is no strict aspect controls I can only imagine most apps would be less ideal visually appealing, very similar to what happened with pixel doubling when the iPhone Retina display or iPad was released.

On Android as a developer it's challenging to work with multi aspects ratios and still make things look really good... A little counter productive if you ask me.

Last edited:
[)roi(];8265265 said:
You do get that it was a joke ;)
But the question around the Implementation in Android is just me trying to understand if they have properly adapted the standard Android UI algorithms to work with higher PPI displays.

Yet because there is no strict aspect controls I can only imagine most apps would be less ideal visually appealing, very similar to what happened with pixel doubling when the iPhone Retina display or iPad was released.

On Android as a developer it's challenging to work with multi aspects ratios and still make things look good... A little counter productive if you ask me.

Yeah I know bout the joke.

We clearly came to the agreement that my sense of "Form" is screwed based on PM comments on fonts and desktop UI so I can not honestly answer the other part. :)

Yeah I know bout the joke.

We clearly came to the agreement that my sense of "Form" is screwed based on PM comments on fonts and desktop UI so I can not honestly answer the other part. :)
Oh bugger... Hahaha I really didn't mean to cast any insults :p
Kind of interested in my question; guess I have some googling to do.

[)roi(];8265281 said:
Oh bugger... Hahaha I really didn't mean to cast any insults :p
Kind of interested in my question; guess I have some googling to do.

Hey I know where my strong points are and accept my weak ones. Old enough to not phaze me.

Give me the info you want and access to your ERP system and I will code you a system of note or get you the numbers to make the graphs for whatever you want, be it stock holding or procurement levels hell even production planing, but don't ask me to design the UI. We have people for that :)

Besides I can not spell to save my life so we would have comebacks like you have no idea.

Edit: I can tell you that ADW Launcher sucks on this phone, only stock and SPB Shell 3D looks ok.

Last edited:
Hey I know where my strong points are and accept my weak ones. Old enough to not phaze me.

Give me the info you want and access to your ERP system and I will code you a system of note or get you the numbers to make the graphs for whatever you want, be it stock holding or procurement levels hell even production planing, but don't ask me to design the UI. We have people for that :)

Besides I can not spell to save my life so we would have comebacks like you have no idea.

You have one hell of a good spellchecker, your posts are in many cases more literary perfect vs mine.

Btw I'm also like you at home in code... but also re my long term hobby quite at home in design, helps a lot in my line of work.

Back