iPad versus Galaxy Tab comparison

iGamer

I’ve played with both devices and must say I prefer the iPad. It is bigger, but the OS makes things a lot smoother and faster. Android devices, at present, seem to be a little sluggish with scrolling and tasks, but that’s just me.

Also talking on an Android is just awkward. A Bluetooth headset fits it better.

ike

these allegedly imminent pricecuts dont seem to be known by anyone at samsung. what does the grapevine say?

hammell

I think it's great that the tablet market is heating up. I'm going to wait a few months and see what develops with Honeycomb and iPad 2...

lachesis

obviously they will hold out as long as they can.

doubt they can cut too much of the price as they would then have to cut prices on the galaxy s aswell

interesting space this

lets watch it

DukeofHouse

Form factor is the biggest differentiator imo.
Galaxy Tab wins for me - can use it in the car for music, easy to chuck in smallish camera bag (to review pics), great size for Kindle app, easy to type with 2 thumbs...

But that iOS is iOH so sexy...

Necuno

Court Jester
rather wait for something that's not a glorified smartphone wiff bigger screen. ipad 2 hopefully...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
This is a fight between two oldies on their way out to gadget heaven/hell. We're more interested in the expected birth of the iPad 2 and Tab 2. Anyone currently still buying one of the two oldies have too much money, uses money that's not his/her own, or is too impatient.

bboy

Expert Member
I think this is a silly comparison, its missing the main thing that makes a huge difference between the all the tablets, the OS and its Apps.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
I’ve played with both devices and must say I prefer the iPad. It is bigger, but the OS makes things a lot smoother and faster. Android devices, at present, seem to be a little sluggish with scrolling and tasks, but that’s just me.

Also talking on an Android is just awkward. A Bluetooth headset fits it better.

I have not noticed any sluggishness on my HTC Desire, but maybe I have just been lucky with Android.

iGamer

I have not noticed any sluggishness on my HTC Desire, but maybe I have just been lucky with Android.

Sorry, I think I should clarify that the Android devices I've used have all been Samsung. Maybe they're just not optimised for Samsung?

bonga86

Will people now carry a smartphone on one hand and a tablet on the other. Dumb question but can someone please explain to me whats the use of this device.

My phone has 5 megapixels, 16GB, WLAN etc & is small(compact). Why would I need a Tablet

bridgetroll

I want to see a dedicated e-reader (like Kindle) in the comparison mix. The ipad has a bigger screen but the galaxy has better specs. IMO.

My Kindle absolutely rocks for reading books. Month long battery, easy to read outdoors, easy to buy books, easy to torrent books, etc but its not comparable to a tablet. They really really aren't the same thing. As a general computing device tablet style its interface is straight out of the 90s.

iGamer

Will people now carry a smartphone on one hand and a tablet on the other. Dumb question but can someone please explain to me whats the use of this device.

My phone has 5 megapixels, 16GB, WLAN etc & is small(compact). Why would I need a Tablet

From a business perspective tablets aren’t for everyone. We use iPads when we go and see customers. This enables us easy access to our pricelist, email, server etc. for any info. That is something that we cannot get from a phone or notebook (easily).

From a leisure point of view tablets are nice devices for those that don’t want notebooks (which, depending on the model can be clunky).

Just my 2c. :)

bonga86

From a business perspective tablets aren’t for everyone. We use iPads when we go and see customers. This enables us easy access to our pricelist, email, server etc. for any info. That is something that we cannot get from a phone or notebook (easily).

From a leisure point of view tablets are nice devices for those that don’t want notebooks (which, depending on the model can be clunky).

Just my 2c. :)

Thanks, I think just like my smartphone this will have its people and own uses. But for me personally R5000 or more for this is a NO NO NO

dansmith

you're not supposed to think about it! apple spend millions to make us all dumb and want one ;)

seriously tho - tablet's are filling a pretty big commercial gap. mobile business meetings happen all the time. tablets are perfect.
there's also the home users who want something they can move around the house and share amongst the family.

laptops are often under-used.