iPhone 12 Rumours & Release Date

phlux

Another Friday passes which are the days they either announce pre-orders or releases usually. I really thought today was pre-order day. I ****ing hate their lack of communication.
My prediction, they will announce the Monday after Black Friday, then that Friday for Sale. They want to use Black Friday to move the last of their 11 Stock.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max review

Info 1.JPG Info 2.JPG

Se@n

Much as it pains me to say this, I’m tending to give Core the benefit of the doubt on this one, I don’t think they dictate to Apple when they launch a device, I’m sure it’s the other way around. Look how quickly they landed the new macs, if the stock was available for the 12 in the numbers needed to successfully launch I don’t see why they’d be holding back. Also, the networks always used to control the iPhone units brought into SA, not core. Has this changed?

Louis72

Any gifts of the value above R1400 will be taxed fully. So not sure where you get the info from that phones of that value are skipped when it comes to duties and taxes?
No issues from my side to pay the fair tax. If one can still bypass CORE Tax.

What about something like Aramex Global shopper? If i understand correctly if Apple can ship to one of those addresses then all should be good?

Last edited:

johnjm

Expert Member
No issues from my side to pay the fair tax. If one can still bypass CORE Tax.

What about something like Aramex Global shopper? If i understand correctly if Apple can ship to one of those addresses then all should be good?

Yeah I tested Apple Hong Kong online. R13.5k for a iPhone 12 dual sim. Free delivery. Interested to know if they will ship to the aramex forwarding service.

Assuming R430 delivery and maybe R3.5k tax and duties, it’s about R17.5k all in. About the same as what the local price should be?

Louis72

Yeah I tested Apple Hong Kong online. R13.5k for a iPhone 12 dual sim. Free delivery. Interested to know if they will ship to the aramex forwarding service.

Assuming R430 delivery and maybe R3.5k tax and duties, it’s about R17.5k all in. About the same as what the local price should be?
Any specific reason for using the Hong Kong apple store? because of the Dual sim iPhone?

Well the Pro Max shows around 10200HKD so that's about R16200? even with taxes and shipping that could be a bargain assuming the phone works on our carriers and they ship to Aramex.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Any specific reason for using the Hong Kong apple store? because of the Dual sim iPhone?

Well the Pro Max shows around 10200HKD so that's about R16200? even with taxes and shipping that could be a bargain assuming the phone works on our carriers and they ship to Aramex.

I was looking at the same thing. I have a dual sim 11 that I bought in Asia and really fancy a 12 mini due to my aversion to big phones. I’ve never used Aramex or imported a phone though so I’m really quite nervous of the whole thing.

johnjm

Expert Member

So they ship to aramex? 10200 hkd is about 20k, not 16k...

Louis72

So they ship to aramex? 10200 hkd is about 20k, not 16k...

Did some digging and found that the Tax we pay on a smartphone is high.

Import costs​

Although certain exceptions may be made for particular cellphones, SARS regards smartphones as luxury items.

As such, importing them from another country will incur certain import taxes.

There are three fees a buyer should add to the listed price of a smartphone when purchasing it from an international source.

These are as follows:

• Ad valorem/luxury tax of 15% on the listed price.
  • Duty tax of 7% on top of the list price with added luxury tax.
  • 15% VAT on the total amount after both luxury and duty tax.
“For a round figure, a device costing R10,000 (excl. shipping), would arrive at a cost of approximately R12,750 (excl. shipping) but including VAT,” Levitan said.

phlux

I just got this k@k SMS today like all the other Fridays.

Dear iStore customer - we thank you for your continued patience. Due to global stock constraints, we are still working hard to secure your iPhone 12 Pro Max and will be in contact as soon as stock is available. If you are no longer interested, please reply NO to this SMS. Regards, The iStore Team
How you get them to SMS you aa status update?

bluepoole

On a Facebook group that I’m part of, an account manager at Vodacom stated that the 12 will launch in December, very limited stock. She could not confirm an exact date though.

Louis72

On a Facebook group that I’m part of, an account manager at Vodacom stated that the 12 will launch in December, very limited stock. She could not confirm an exact date though.
Most probably yes. I saw Connected Devices have 12 And 12 Pro but the pro is almost 40k!:sick:

BiggyBuggy

I’ve been keeping an eye on the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Max Wikipedia pages as they have quite reliably listed launch dates of the phones according to the different regions, and was hoping to see South Africa get added at some point. It’s been updated a few times since launch but SA was never one of them.

Today it looks like SA has been added, and the date? 19 February 2021. What?!

737pilot

I’ve been keeping an eye on the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Max Wikipedia pages as they have quite reliably listed launch dates of the phones according to the different regions, and was hoping to see South Africa get added at some point. It’s been updated a few times since launch but SA was never one of them.

Today it looks like SA has been added, and the date? 19 February 2021. What?!
Saw that just now as well. There are rumors that Apple might release a 4G only model in February of 2021. So the date in the wiki article could just be incorrect, or, South Africa might only get the rumored 4G versions of the iPhone 12 lineup. all I know is, if the date on the wiki article is to be believed, I am going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

BiggyBuggy

The IP address that made that edit to the Wikipedia page looks to be someone from Vodacom in JHB. Attached screenshot.

Attachments

• E196DF8D-E6A4-495F-90BD-16A11F27303F.jpeg
    E196DF8D-E6A4-495F-90BD-16A11F27303F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75

johnjm

Expert Member
Saw that just now as well. There are rumors that Apple might release a 4G only model in February of 2021. So the date in the wiki article could just be incorrect, or, South Africa might only get the rumored 4G versions of the iPhone 12 lineup. all I know is, if the date on the wiki article is to be believed, I am going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

Makes perfect sense. 5G is a waste in some regions.

Louis72

No really then it is import time!