iPhone 4

ruanmlegrange

Hi there

How does one go about getting an iPhone 4?
I really don't understand what the problem is with Apple not releasing enough of these.
Maybe I'm missing something?!
I've been to a couple of Vodacom stores here in Pretoria and all are 'waiting indefinitely for stock'. I've even called Midrand Vodacom and it's the same.
I have a high regard for Apple products but their service delivery, well heck, I don't know anymore.
How long does it take to manufacture an iPhone, really? It's been more than 2 months now since the first release.
My friend and former work collegue, Steven Dollenberg, who used to be a blogger on Mybroadband couldn't even get one until he eventually complained.
:(

Ruan M le Grange
Memus Media

BrokenLink

I got mine fairly quickly. A few days after launch they phoned me to ask if i wanted one. (put my email down as interested in iphone before launch). They said they had no stock, and would probly get within 2 weeks. They delivered the phone the next day. It would probly best to do the upgrade or get the contract for the phone and order it and have them deliver when available. I dont know how their system works, but i dont think they will have ones lying around in shops if there is people with orders placed already. What i gathered from the phone call with them was also that they get lots of smaller batches, not major batches of iphones.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
been on a waiting list since the 21st October now. No deliveries anywhere in Cape Town to Vodashops since then. No ETA. So, willing to wait for a R7500 phone for a month? get the new Iphone 4!!!

Pohm

I applied for mine on Saturday the 30th of Oct, was told that they should be receiving stock within the next week.. i have been to the store on Thursday(yesterday) to check.. no phones as yet...but, the person told me : " We are receiving some stock today"..
Well I went back there today to check if they got stock.. once again.. no stock, but got the same response :"We are receiving stock today".
The other person in the store told me that i should be prepared to wait two weeks.. wtf.. two weeks?!?!?
What puts me off the most, is that the person told me that i would have my phone on Thursday.. so i got all "happy" about it.. now, its Friday night and I'm rather dissapointed.
What makes the thing even worse is that I have one BB in for repairs at said VC and the one I'm using at the moment is packing up..

Vodacom Staff, take this piece of advice.. do not tell a customer that you are receiving stock on a certain date, when you are not 180% sure about it...

Well, I had to get this out of my system.. GrRrRrRrR!!

CellPhoneSpecials

Have you tried any of the MTN stores or actually going to the Apple iStores? I see that the iStores only offer contracts and no cash deals (unfortunately).

Mantis

I applied for mine on Saturday the 30th of Oct, was told that they should be receiving stock within the next week.. i have been to the store on Thursday(yesterday) to check.. no phones as yet...but, the person told me : " We are receiving some stock today"..
Well I went back there today to check if they got stock.. once again.. no stock, but got the same response :"We are receiving stock today".
The other person in the store told me that i should be prepared to wait two weeks.. wtf.. two weeks?!?!?
What puts me off the most, is that the person told me that i would have my phone on Thursday.. so i got all "happy" about it.. now, its Friday night and I'm rather dissapointed.
What makes the thing even worse is that I have one BB in for repairs at said VC and the one I'm using at the moment is packing up..

Vodacom Staff, take this piece of advice.. do not tell a customer that you are receiving stock on a certain date, when you are not 180% sure about it...

Well, I had to get this out of my system.. GrRrRrRrR!!

Did they say they were receiving stock of iPhones or receiving stock?
Big difference. Some retailers receive various stock items every day, or every other day, or certain days only. They don't always know exactly what they're getting in due to their buying processes, ie HeadOffice places replenishment orders for certain items, different items arrive on different days depending on stock. The iPhones may be on order for that store but there distribution centres may be waiting on the stock to come in so that they can have the allocations sent through to the relevant stores.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
It sucks how long some people wait to recieve their iphones. I placed my order online with vodacom on a Friday and by Monday I had it....

Seems to me there is some luck involved in getting hold of an IPhone.

corp

I'm starting to think Apple is now diverting their stock to other countries.