iPhone battery replacement options

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Are you looking for an iPhone battery, Spizzy? You could buy good quality OEM batteries before you go back for around the equivalent of R200 (6s price).

Scroll down to OEM, (I’ve been using the firm for years). It’s pretty simple to replace (or just get a repair shop to fit it for you).

https://www.replacebase.co.uk/iphone-batteries/
Thanks Dave, but it's for my wife's 6s and she's in SA. She's actually booked an appointment this morning at iStore in Somerset Mall although i told her it looks like they'd have to send it off for the swap. If that's the case, she's going to argue for a while and then go to Apple Doctor at Cellucity round the corner and get it done there.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If you are not an istore customer, make a booking online and they will waive the R200 fee.
Which begs the question how they determine an 'iStore Customer'?

If I bought a charge cable there 5 years ago that makes me a customer.

Typically retarded Core business logic.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
My wife went in this morning to her appointment at Somerset Mall. As expected, typical iStore service and attitude. They said they will have to send the phone away and have it back within 2 weeks. No replacement on offer and apparently the slow phone is nothing to do with Apple.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Sohail

Contemplating whether to replace the battery in my 6 (83% capacity) and keep it for another year or 2, or just get a new phone.

Sandman1

Apple doctor parts are generic. So decided to phone around and found screenfreeze.co.za, they offer OEM battery replacement with labour for R600, and it's a walk-in replacement. Still looking for cheaper options.

Sandman1

Hkcomputers in cape town have an original for R420, but won't work for me unfortunately. Helpful for those living there

Dave

Honorary Master
Hkcomputers in cape town have an original for R420, but won't work for me unfortunately. Helpful for those living there
If they aren’t an authorised Apple repairer there’s virtually no chance it’s original. Apple don’t allow original parts to be supplied outside of their authorised repairers.

Plenty of counterfeit “originals” around though...

riscbroker

Expert Member
Looks like the battery on my iPhone 6 is on its way out - any recommendations where I can get an original replacement battery in Somerset West/Cape Town?

Clayman

Looks like the battery on my iPhone 6 is on its way out - any recommendations where I can get an original replacement battery in Somerset West/Cape Town?
You can book your iPhone in at any iStore and get an original replacement for like R500 or so. I'd highly recommend it.

Clayman

Seems the way to go, the only downside is the turnaround time, looks to be about two weeks.
Sadly that's our best-effort turn around time, this is Africa after all.
In Germany it's replaced at the Apple Store in less than 30 minutes. smh.

riscbroker

Expert Member
The odd thing is that iOS reports battery health still at 100% (cannot be, phone's been in daily use for a good couple of years) but a third-party app, Lirum Info, reports 88.4%.

Clayman

There's an app called "Battery Life"- worth checking that as a 3rd reference point as well. My iPhone 8 Battery is already holding 7% below the rated mAh worth of charge.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Apple doctor parts are generic. So decided to phone around and found screenfreeze.co.za, they offer OEM battery replacement with labour for R600, and it's a walk-in replacement. Still looking for cheaper options.
OEM means generic. If they don't have the 2 week turn around time you can be damn sure it's generic as that bullshittery is imposed by Core.

Also if they don't ask you to disable Find my iPhone that is also a sure sign of it being a generic.

That being said just get the generic, unless you are in warranty. Will make no difference at all to your life.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It's not even about best effort but rather a stupid process imposed by Core.

They won't keep any stock in store but only order the battery via Core once they have the phone in hand and have run diagnostics on it.

Had endless fight with Digicape about this until they eventually committed to doing the diagnostic remotely (they didn't need to run it...I was ready to pay for a battery but they insist on it because Core does). Once done they ordered the battery and then called me to have the actual work done in like 20 minutes.

The joke about it all? The iOS Battery Health check still doesn't see the battery even though it's original. They were going to replace it again but never got back to me and frankly I couldn't be bothered.

LOL, didn't bother to check again since iOS12 but I see suddenly it sees the battery at 100%...also smells like bullshit to me.

iOS12 also bakes it into the OS so apps like Battery Life can no longer read the wear level.

Mr Smooth

I had a 6S battery changed. Handed the phone in on Thursday and it was ready for collection the following Thursday. It would’ve been 2 days sooner had I seen the mail they sent asking for permission to go ahead and replace the battery. This was in June and was handed in at the istore in Cresta.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Yup, here in Asia the digital malls have rows of stalls that can swop out the battery or even change out the flash chips if you need to get more capacity on your phone.

All while you wait.