ISP Remotely Controlling Router Settings

cavedog

Honorary Master
I Recently moved and installed fibre at my new home. I took advantage of a ongoing black Friday deal that included free Vuma installation (for some reason not many ISPs do VUMA installations for free)

My router was supplied after installation was confirmed, fortunately I have my old router and it was just a matter of plugging it in and using it.

The issues started when I received the supplied router and me wanting to adjust settings on the router, I had to reset it to gain access, but as soon as it connects to the internet the router reverts back to settings managed by Supersonic. I tested this out by leaving the router on for almost 2 hours with no internet connection, again as soon as you connect the wan port to the Vuma cpe device you loose access to the router and everything changes back to Supersonic. I have since removed it and using my old router again.

My question is, is this normal practice. If they control router settings what else do they have access to? The other question is if this is even legal?

Hoping some other people have had similar issues.

It's imbedded in the firmware from Nology... You can remove the certs but as soon as you reset you need to remove them again. Once removed the router will not call home and lock. This also locks Supersonic out of your router and they will insist on you resetting the router when you call in for support.

AjQuantum

It's imbedded in the firmware from Nology... You can remove the certs but as soon as you reset you need to remove them again. Once removed the router will not call home and lock. This also locks Supersonic out of your router and they will insist on you resetting the router when you call in for support.
I think I would rather just stick with my Tenda Router for now. Will request they collect their router, then there is no confusion.

AjQuantum

I am good friends with someone that works for an ISP, he told me they adopted the going to locked routers method because a good 60% of the tickets they got ended up in people playing around on the router and misconfiguring something etc, so they were spending way too much time troubleshooting and fixing peoples issues which they created themselves. Once they switched over to managing the routers the amount of tickets they were receiving dropped drastically.
I guess this makes sense. It just messes with the few tech savvy people like us who likes to make our SSID's private and set security settings.

In my case I thought I am getting a nice 5G router to try out.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I guess this makes sense. It just messes with the few tech savvy people like us who likes to make our SSID's private and set security settings.

In my case I thought I am getting a nice 5G router to try out.
Majority of the time you can ask to control your own router free to use router and they will make you sign a form that basically says if you screw it up and they determine you were the cause they won't provide support or will charge you.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Upgrading the firmware won't remove the TR069 settings from the router. Those settings are "burnt" onto the ROM of the router.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Vox also did same on Mikrotik router, but after i hard reset, removing Capman, then all i could do myself.
You are lucky they didn't use NetInstall to write the config to the router as the factory config. It would have taken you a bit more than a hard reset.

AjQuantum

Upgrading the firmware won't remove the TR069 settings from the router. Those settings are "burnt" onto the ROM of the router.
Very interesting, Learnt something here today. Thanks for sharing. Best bet I guess is just to return it to them.

thehuman

Expert Member
Very interesting, Learnt something here today. Thanks for sharing. Best bet I guess is just to return it to them.
Put it in its box , keep it as a backup incase you need it , or something go wrong and they insist it your router.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
TR-069

That's on my LTE Router for ISP managing the settings.

Just disable it if you have the same.