iSpot [Durban] - Help Needed

solarisg

I have become a new customer of the iSpot wisp. iSpot seems to be a good service on the outside but as we all know, nothing is what it seems.
I have had countless problems with my connection from poor cabling, to lack of knowledge from the service provider. Eventhough they claim to be Uncapped, there is a limit to how much international data you can transfer and this is not listed in the contract.

I am currently looking for a south african proxy that i can use to bypass this because my speed has dropped to 7Kbps on a transfer.

If there is anyone out there who can help me, please pm me.......i need the help .....im so desperate I'm actually thinking of canceling the service.....

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
I have become a new customer of the iSpot wisp. iSpot seems to be a good service on the outside but as we all know, nothing is what it seems.
I have had countless problems with my connection from poor cabling, to lack of knowledge from the service provider. Eventhough they claim to be Uncapped, there is a limit to how much international data you can transfer and this is not listed in the contract.

I am currently looking for a south african proxy that i can use to bypass this because my speed has dropped to 7Kbps on a transfer.

If there is anyone out there who can help me, please pm me.......i need the help .....im so desperate I'm actually thinking of canceling the service.....
Do a search on MyBroadband for the word "Wisp" and then decide if you still want to cancel!

Hope you come right!

solarisg

Well, i tried canceling the system and its a no go.....im bound into a 24 month contract so im stuck......looks like im going to have to stick with this poor connection...

Once again, if anyone got any ideas, let me know

solarisg

Well, i tried canceling the system and its a no go.....im bound into a 12 month contract so im stuck......looks like im going to have to stick with this poor connection...

Last edited:

acidrain

Expert Member
Well, i tried canceling the system and its a no go.....im bound into a 24 month contract so im stuck......looks like im going to have to stick with this poor connection...

See what your contract says wrt guarenteed speed ( if it does say so ). If its states say 512kbps guarenteed then you are entitled to cancel as they have breached their contract.

Worth a try, tho dont know how much ti would help. Probably just cause more problems

solarisg

Now I know that it was a bad choice, but with the information i had at the time, it seemed like the best way to go. Hence i would like to warn people of these kind of services and request help from anyone who can help me.

protzkrog

Expert Member
solarisg: find a loophole to get out of the contract
complain on hellopeter.com
complain to them
emails, phonecalls, etc etc, irritate them so much that they cancel your contract

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Yeah, and make threads all over every forum you can find, complaining bitterly!

Put stickers all over your car - "The Worst Wisp By Far"

iSpot Service.

Hi all.

To the client who is unsatisfied, please contact me directly on 0829093468 and i will personally make an attempt to find a solution to the problems that you are experiencing.

In most cases ISPOT will withdraw a 24 month contract provided that the equipment is still in good condition and if it is impossible for us to find a solution to your connectivity problems.

Please be aware that ISPOT is a bandwidth management company and we empower partners who want to get into the bandwidth industry with tools to do so. The partners are responsible for their customers.

Please do be aware (all customers who want to use a WISP), there is no guarentee on any service provided in our country, unless you pay for it. Theoretically all services are best effort, even ADSL. What we aim to do is provide an affordable community driven service that provides uncapped broadband quality internet to everyday ordinary ppl who cannot afford the high prices charged by the major players in the game.

For any further questions regarding our service please email me directly at levi@ispot.co.za

Regards
Levi (iSpot WIFI)

Head Network Engineer

solarisg

Thank you all for the valuable input and help.

I will contact Mr Levi (iSpotAdministrator) tomorrow and keep you guys updated on what happens. I really do hope that I won't have to disconnect this service, for I still do believe this is a great system, but it does need some tweaking here and there to make it better.......

Will update soon.....

Cheers for now guys, ....

Big Kriss

"The partners are responsible for their customers."

and so the buck is passed....pardon my skepticism here...

Fantastic1

Hi
The matter will be looked into:
98% of your downloads are international torrents; Till July 1st-23rd you have downloaded via torrents 15974 MB.
1 June to 30 June 15470 MB Downloaded via Torrents.

You are paying R 245 PM for this service .. equates to R 0.0158 per MB.

If you want higher speeds with less contention ratios (max 4:1) it is available, this will cost more.

If you use your connection for normal work related items like you indicated before you signed up, you should not encounter those type of speeds.
Torrents are restricted to be fair to other normal users in the area.

You are however out of or on the borderline of the coverage area, however you are picking up. When your area is covered properly your internet experience will be much better.

buffalobill

See what your contract says wrt guarenteed speed ( if it does say so ). If its states say 512kbps guarenteed then you are entitled to cancel as they have breached their contract.

Worth a try, tho dont know how much ti would help. Probably just cause more problems
I strongly doubt there's anything in the contract about bandwidth or speed. But if they're not delivering on what the sales pitch promised, just tell them you're cancelling and why, and stop the debit order. End of story. I did that with GWI.

solarisg

hi guys.....

just saw that post...wow....

i only downloaded one file from torrent that equated to 12 or 15 megs.....interesting!!!!!

so the plot thickens!!!!

http://67.152.43.79/Anime/One Piece/SD/

have a look at this site....most of my 15gig usage comes from here.....let me know if this constitutes as torrent....How could it?

Now back to my work related items, that i said i would be using. Is that really any of the service providers business in the first place. My usage should be private. Lots of legal lines "may" be crossed here...
When I am not working, i download.

"You are paying R 245 PM for this service .. equates to R 0.0158 per MB".......
So whats the meaning of uncapped then? Equating money for megs on an uncapped service sounds a little silly don't you think?

I spoke to Mr. Levi (iSpotAdministrator) and he has assured me that speed decreases in my transfers should not be happening if my usage is high, so im really not to sure what my service provider, fantastic1, is going on about!

I now really think that my local service provider does not understand the concepts of uncapped, ports, shapped and torrents. some people believe that large sums of files can only be downloaded through torrent. No, this is not the case. If someone could please explain that concept to him it would be a great help......

Either way, the ispot administrator was great and tried to help and find solutions to my issues. He looked into the problems i was having and the following day my bandwidth speed increased to an avg of 14kbps on a transfer. So, i will wait and see what happens to the network and keep you guys updated on the system.

Just tried phoning Mr Fantastic1 and cannot get a hold of him again....i guess he believes avoiding a problem will make it go away.

Thanks for all the help guys.....bye for now

Last edited: