IT Graduate Salary

Nostalgia_06

Hey guys, I'm a Bsc IT student and I'd like to inquire, how much do IT graduates earn?

Ideally I'd like to get into a graduate program e.g Standard Bank graduate program. I want to know the average range salary?

And I'm also interesting in quality assurance engineering is being a QA engineer/automation engineer a good specialization?

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
What did the people at SCMB graduate program say, when you asked them?

Nemus

Expert Member
Hey guys, I'm a Bsc IT student and I'd like to inquire, how much do IT graduates earn?

Ideally I'd like to get into a graduate program e.g Standard Bank graduate program. I want to know the average range salary?

And I'm also interesting in quality assurance engineering is being a QA engineer/automation engineer a good specialization?

According to this, R 6 778 per month.

dews

When I graduated (BSc Honnors in IT) i got about R4000, but that was a few years back.

Nostalgia_06

5 years ago a friend was offered R27k for the Standard Bank grad program
I am currently in my first year, and so far my marks are 75%+ on average and I'm hoping I will be consistent.

And I'm really gunning for the Standard Bank Graduate Programme hence why I've inquired.

phil77

I am currently in my first year, and so far my marks are 75%+ on average and I'm hoping I will be consistent.

And I'm really gunning for the Standard Bank Graduate Programme hence why I've inquired.
FNB was also around that much back then. Why do you want Standard Bank?

Nostalgia_06

According to this, R 6 778 per month.
Thank you for the link I appreciate it.

I just read the article however, it wasn't specific to software development/software engineering which is more what I'm looking for, it was too genetic and the sample size was only 17.

So in that case I can't really trust that but on the other had I can't deny it.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

Depends on your marks, and if you have any work experience.
Probably less than R10 000 a month

Nostalgia_06

Depends on your marks, and if you have any work experience.
Probably less than R10 000 a month
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, makes sense! I'm looking into winter school programs such as Deloitte and FNB winter school programs. I'm in first year currently and I'm doing all the relevant research now so i can have a relatively clear path going forward.

phil77

No it's not. Do proper dev work

The_MAC

Executive Member
As a Grad Engineer, I used to earn about R16k at Telkom (Monthly Cost to Company - so before deductions) - this was 8 years ago. I would imagine IT would be marginally less

Seeing the figures above, seems what I was getting was not bad

Freddl

If an IT graduate is offered less than R15 000 a month then they are stealing from you. However, the good companies test you before they will employ you and if you are one of the unlucky ones who have studied at one of the Universities of Technology, you have a 90 percent chance of failing the test. If you were awarded a degree from one of the proper universities, you will have a good chance of getting employed at a decent salary.

If someone pays you less than R10 000 a month, you are not worth much and are probably employed to fulfil a quota.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
That is insanely good money for a Grad Program.
Pretty much the norm in fintech. It can be anything from R15k - R30k, maybe even more.

Obviously depends on whether you have honours, your marks, type of qualification etc. Degrees like Engineering and Comp Science in particular will get you a good start...

Nostalgia_06

If an IT graduate is offered less than R15 000 a month then they are stealing from you. However, the good companies test you before they will employ you and if you are one of the unlucky ones who have studied at one of the Universities of Technology, you have a 90 percent chance of failing the test. If you were awarded a degree from one of the proper universities, you will have a good chance of getting employed at a decent salary.

If someone pays you less than R10 000 a month, you are not worth much and are probably employed to fulfil a quota.
Thank you for the reply!

I'm currently at UJ