Jacob Zuma FTW!!

The potential president of the country should be able to be perfectly comfortable with english. Its the international language and other leaders speak it..

How dumb do you have to be to not be able to speak a language that is EVERYWHERE around you?

I think he is just to busy showering to learn his speeches. Im pretty sure he knows how to speak english just fine.
 
The potential president of the country should be able to be perfectly comfortable with english. Its the international language and other leaders speak it..

How dumb do you have to be to not be able to speak a language that is EVERYWHERE around you?

He only finished Grade 6
 
Maybe JZ will provide us with some funny speech screw-ups like GW Bush.:D

[OT rant]
Seems to be a general trend amongst spokespersons too. Every second word is just ehh, um, eish etc. Grammar is fragmented at best.

I get that they want an empowered person to do the speaking. No worries there, but why no pick a black dude that can construct a proper English sentence....there are loads of those everywhere.:confused:
[/OT rant]
 
good point. Its almost as bad as making a 12 yr old pres-o-dent of the country..
lol! I never knew he only had a grade 6... but coming from a lil rural school it is probably the equivalent of a grade 3 or something! :D
 
No... they need to be able to speak in english as well. They are the main representitive of our country FFS !

Well sorry to tell you that English is not the largest mother language in this country! I am also sorry to tell you but Zuma is perfectly capable of speaking in English, just apparently not to the standard you can speak Zulu!
 
I would love to see a lot of you handle a debate against Zuma... reckon you'd get your pants whipped! :) Even if it were in your chosen language of English!
 
LancelotSA... Why do you support Zuma? :confused:

Now that is an assumption of note. I am merely questioning the theory of knocking someone's leadership ability based on his ability to make a speech in a language that is not his 1st language. Yes, he should be able to, which he can. Often I hear accents getting mocked but I speak Afrikaans with and accent and will not even try Zulu for fear of howls of laughter! I think it is unfair. The words of the speech are more important than mocking the ability to deliver it.

Have you heard an Italian leader speaking in English (as an example!).

And as regards your question, I too at first bought into the whole Zuma is bad news propoganda, but on hearing a few of his interviews recently (not pre written speeches but Q&A sessions) I have come to realise that he is actually a very intelligent man. He may be saying what we want to hear but this is better than him not saying these words. Yes, you will no doubt all jump up and down and point out his few mistakes like the AIDS showering thing, but I would like to hear what you would say if caught out for something compromising! I heard Bill Clinton utter a few pathetic explanations when caught having fun with Monica....

Can any of you knocking him suggest anyone better? And comments of anyone is better are not adding much...
 
Bottom line is they are talking in a language which is not their first language.... would we be happier if he gave all their speeches in Zulu?

English is not my first language (I'm Afrikaans), that doesn't mean I'm going to speak or write in English like a chop. JZ has a mental disability and he represents the great African mindset.

They love him. O God there's no hope.
 
I have also always wondered about choosing a leader with the best public speaking ability. Surely there are more important things than this? We all after all know that none of them write their own speeches but have professionals doing it for them. Surely the way then then present this speech should be of little importance? Presenting the speech without reading the notes surely means way too much time spent studying the speech and way too little actually doing the job you are tasked to do?

GWB is another shocking speech giver and note reader!

What criteria would you choose for a leader? One that believes a shower prevents aids? Perhaps he can do a good job, not like I have a say in the matter; regardless.
 
What criteria would you choose for a leader? One that believes a shower prevents aids? Perhaps he can do a good job, not like I have a say in the matter; regardless.

Slooth after your comments on the other thread I'd rather not engage you in a conversation as you come into it with preconceived ideas about a person.
 
English is not my first language (I'm Afrikaans), that doesn't mean I'm going to speak or write in English like a chop. JZ has a mental disability and he represents the great African mindset.

They love him. O God there's no hope.

Would love to hear you speak as most staunch Afrikaaners speak English like chops to my ears! Do you wear jean pant?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X