jerking car

ponder

Honorary Master
I must say, only Ford stock the spark plug. And on the spark plug is written "Ford". I phoned just everyone, only Ford stock it. It is a thin very long spark plug.

Ford doesn't make sparkplugs, whichever oem makes them just stamps the ford logo on. They're probably ngk iridiums.

What's your model year?

ubercal

Expert Member
My kuga 1,5 ecoboost starts to jerk {that is what a mechanic calls it} after about 90km of driving. Some sometimes after 10 or 30 km is goes away. While cruising at 110, the car vibribates lightly, even the steering. When you leave the petrol pedal it goes away. I stopped at a dealer, he said he is thinking of a feul problem, but they are to busy to help me. He suggested they must connect the computer to the car, drive it till it starts to jerk and hopefully they will see the problem. Engine light does not come on. kilos =200 000. I was thinking of buying a bluetooth sensor to check faults myself, but you need one that can smell deep into the software.

I was hoping someone might spot what the problem might be.
difficult to say but can be many things including ...

1) spark plugs
2) coilpacks
3) faulty fuel fuel regulator
4) faulty fuel pump
5) faulty fuel injectors
6) water in the fuel system
7) clogged up fuel filter

note: recently my car was jerking / banging / farting / stalling etc and after replacing the spark plugs and doing a injector test the problem was the fuel pressure regulator.The regulator was not mainting a stable fuel pressure , and the car was randomly overfueling then unfueling.

I would start with the cheapest and work your way to the most expensive , unless you can get a smart mechanic who can actually diagnose the problem properly without just replacing parts nilly willy.

upup

Executive Member
difficult to say but can be many things including ...

1) spark plugs
2) coilpacks
3) faulty fuel fuel regulator
4) faulty fuel pump
5) faulty fuel injectors
6) water in the fuel system
7) clogged up fuel filter

note: recently my car was jerking / banging / farting / stalling etc and after replacing the spark plugs and doing a injector test the problem was the fuel pressure regulator.The regulator was not mainting a stable fuel pressure , and the car was randomly overfueling then unfueling.

I would start with the cheapest and work your way to the most expensive , unless you can get a smart mechanic who can actually diagnose the problem properly without just replacing parts nilly willy.
What the garage is saying is that it is funny that it comes up after 70 to 90 kilometer, and then disapear after some time.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I must say, only Ford stock the spark plug. And on the spark plug is written "Ford". I phoned just everyone, only Ford stock it. It is a thin very long spark plug.
Midas stock them, kuga only uses platinum plugs its R1700 for a set 4. The last pretty long.

Sounds like misfire on plugs, change the plugs and then the coilpack.

Mine was jerky at 2000rpm only going uphill, was bad spark plugs. On the 1.6 ecoboost kuga.

ubercal

Expert Member
Midas stock them, kuga only uses platinum plugs its R1700 for a set 4. The last pretty long.

Sounds like misfire on plugs, change the plugs and then the coilpack.

Mine was jerky at 2000rpm only going uphill, was bad spark plugs. On the 1.6 ecoboost kuga.

faulty cam position sensors can also cause misfires at certain rpms.

Corelli

Expert Member
Start with Spark Plug cables and spark plugs.

You will notice at a specific speed if the engine missfires. I had one that does it on the 1st cable. Replace the cable and no more worries.

qscwbt

Expert Member
MY first check would be
Spark plugs and leads
Coil packs
Maf sensor
vacuum leaks

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I can't breath
Just joking

I would start with air intake and check all of those thingys
Cracked air hose as well, as you say your car jerks around after some driving so it may be the heat coming off the engine that now makes your air hoses nice and soft, soft enough to allow the cracks to open
LOL my mind went into the gutter there

But yeah, check those things out as well, I once had an air hose pop off and my idling went sky high, took me ages to see where the problem was, bloody vacuum leak

Mekon

Expert Member
Physically the incorrect size. Never knew that, but with her car it needed a specific size. They cost a fortune too compared to normal spark plugs.
If they the same as the Ford Duratec, physically they a lot longer than normal plugs. About R45 from Goldwagen.

upup

Executive Member
6 months ago I phoned midas, diesel electric, goue wagen and only Ford stock them. That is for the 1,5 ecoboost, they are thin and very long, the only name , number on the plug is "ford". They are currently only 40 000 km old. Tomorrow is service/ fault fix day.

ASH170

6 months ago I phoned midas, diesel electric, goue wagen and only Ford stock them. That is for the 1,5 ecoboost, they are thin and very long, the only name , number on the plug is "ford". They are currently only 40 000 km old. Tomorrow is service/ fault fix day.
Depending on year model and engine number NGK should stock. If engine code is M9MA the recommended plug is ILZNAR8A7G. (2014 onwards.) they are iridium plugs. Not cheap. I've had platinum plugs fail on me after 15k km. Intermittently. Im not too clued up on the design of the kuga engine. If it's been washed recently check for water in the plug wells. My car would start with a miss. Then be fine until operating temp and one cylinder would miss. Plugs were drowning in water. If you are in jhb I can do I diagnostic scan depending on location.

upup

Executive Member
The car was at Ford the whole day. They phoned me at 16:30. Sir your engine is fine, and we found the fault. I was so happy. So I ask what seems to be the problem. Sir it is you inner CV's. They came with long stories why it is the cv joint. They said they need to take out the CV to look what the problem is, then fix the CV or get new one's.
Model 2015.
Thank you
Was was book for Teusday morning.

upup

Executive Member
The car is good now. Did I mentoin I had a punture and had to drove 400km on that marie.