• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

June Internationals 2018

bokka1

Expert Member
I don't think Elton will be able to make a return after that match.

I will also go with Willemse.

Although my first choice as back up will be Frans Steyn as he can cover fly half and center and has the monster boot that we needed on Saturday.

SAguy

Expert Member
I can accept guys like Galant, Nkosi and Dyanti making mistakes - they only have a few caps each...Elton though, with 23 caps doesn't have the luxury of the "newbie" card.

His in play kicking game is useless, he has no vision of where/why he's kicking. Saturday was a better kicking game for him, but every other game - he has no idea why he's kicking. He kicks the entire team off side and then doesn't run up. Or kicks the ball straight into the hands of a winger on the other side of the field, where non of his team mates are in a position to defend.

You can teach certain skills, but rugby common sense is something this guy does not have.

I can accept guys like Galant, Nkosi and Dyanti making mistakes - they only have a few caps each...Elton though, with 23 caps doesn't have the luxury of the "newbie" card.

His in play kicking game is useless, he has no vision of where/why he's kicking. Saturday was a better kicking game for him, but every other game - he has no idea why he's kicking. He kicks the entire team off side and then doesn't run up. Or kicks the ball straight into the hands of a winger on the other side of the field, where non of his team mates are in a position to defend.

You can teach certain skills, but rugby common sense is something this guy does not have.
If he didn't have any rugby common sense, then the lions wouldn't have gotten to the SR finals like they did the last couple of years.

SAguy

Expert Member
BMT wasn't what was questioned in this instance, was it?
Fair point, I concede - however his playing with the Boks just doesn't seem to be of the same standard when he plays with Lions.
Maybe it's nerves, pressure, I don't know - but his decision making is poor when playing with the Boks.

sand_man

Honorary Master
If he didn't have any rugby common sense, then the lions wouldn't have gotten to the SR finals like they did the last couple of years.
There's no question Elton performs for the Lions. But some players cannot bridge the gap between domestic and international rugby. Elton is one of those players.

Fair point, I concede - however his playing with the Boks just doesn't seem to be of the same standard when he plays with Lions.
Maybe it's nerves, pressure, I don't know - but his decision making is poor when playing with the Boks.
It has been under AC, I would like to see him under the guidance of Rassie a little more. If Rassie can't fix him, then kick him to the curb.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well I don't think Damian is ready for the 2019 Rugby World Cup so chances are Elton will go but I think we going to struggle.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
It has been under AC, I would like to see him under the guidance of Rassie a little more. If Rassie can't fix him, then kick him to the curb.
yeah agreed. It's just unfortunate (for Elton) that his last two performances have been in atrocious conditions, not suitable to his style of play. Still, I think he has what it takes but it was never going to develop under AC.

Well I don't think Damian is ready for the 2019 Rugby World Cup so chances are Elton will go but I think we going to struggle.
I don't think so either. He is still very wet behind the ears, and just hate it when players are pushed into higher positions when they aren't ready yet. I think Diyanti is another case in point.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Johan "the Goose" Glassman is back playing rugby, as long as he is careful getting out of the team bus he might make the WC team.
Prodigious talent that guy but as you say, he's a blade of grass away from a retirement forcing injury.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Let's see how he develops overseas. Hate to say it but at least these guys are getting proper coaching playing abroad. Our local coaching standards are dire!!

Look at how Andre's game has matured playing in Japan. It's taken a Japanese coach to teach him how to offload in the tackle?!!! WTF?!

Badprop_za

Expert Member
He used to be decent as a more traditional, safe fullback.
Have to admit, I have a personal dislike in the guy. :twisted:

In all seriousness, for fullback, I think we have enough cover without Lambie. Excluding my Lions-hat with Combrinck at 15, Willie is a shoe-in with Gelant as backup.

Flyhalf and scrumhalf is definitely problem areas.