LaCie Network Attached Storage

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
OK, a friend of a friend bought this product in Europe for GBP 115.00 (just over R1400.00)

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=11137

It is a 1 Terabyte Network Attached Storage Device.

He thought he was buying a portable hard drive, and he thought he was getting a good deal. But anyway... there it is.

So he wants me to fill it up for him with "stuff"

But suffice it to say... this product is a load of crap. The software is too difficult to set up and use. There is no way to directly access the device over your network without installing the software, and once you install the software it assigns a username and password to the device. You cannot access the device without that username and password. But here is the kicker... I will have to use one username and password to copy the stuff to the drive... but when I give it back to him he is going to have to set up the software again on his computer to use the drive.

There must be a way to transfer the username and password, but frankly I could not be bothered.

I suggested to him he should rather sell the device and just buy himself a Terabyte drive with an enclosure. Do you think I can still sell this device for him for R1500.00?

I wish Turiko were still around cos he would know what to do... maybe he could change the software on the device.

Is anyone interested in buying this?

Pilgrim

Wugger
Are you sure you cannot browse it using normal windows explorer?

Open my computer and type in its IP address, see if it acts like a normal network shared directory.

The software you describe sounds like the bundled "backup" software and bundled software is usually rubbish.

Oreomitch

I can't imagine that it works any diferrent to my Lacie Little Big Disk (NAS).

You should be able to mount it as a network drive(samba) or ftp. The admin interface is accessed via web browser.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Rule number two with these things, don't install the software. Full of paranoid DRM type crap (WD) and security overload (Lacie). The disks don't need the software, and your pc certainly doesn't.

Rule number three, when you've filled the disk (labouriously because these things are soooooo bloody slow), and the circuitry packs in and everything stops working, as it certainly will, don't bother getting it repaired (at best, it will be replaced) unless you are prepared to lose all your data.

Rule number four, don't fall for any raid reconstruction and ufs explorer type software that costs an arm and a leg and doesn't work. The way to fix it is to zap out the drives and mount them in your pc (if you're using linux) with the mdadm raid utility. If you only have Windows, get an Ubuntu Live CD to boot from.

Rule number six, enjoy your new internal drives which you could have got for a third of the price.

Oh, and rule number one: Just don't buy NAS(TY) storage drives from Lacie or WD in the first place.

A post from bitter experience proudly brought to you by Gatecrasher.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Are you sure you cannot browse it using normal windows explorer?

Open my computer and type in its IP address, see if it acts like a normal network shared directory.

The software you describe sounds like the bundled "backup" software and bundled software is usually rubbish.
Ja, I can see it in Windows Explorer. It comes up as one drive with several folders. But when I click on a folder it pops up and asks for a username and password. And that was even before I installed the software. so it leaves the factory in a default "secured" state.

If I could just format the drives and get rid of the security I would, but (1) I cannot find a format setting anywhere and (2) I think the security feature is in the firmware controlling the drive, not on the file system itself.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I can't imagine that it works any diferrent to my Lacie Little Big Disk (NAS).

You should be able to mount it as a network drive(samba) or ftp. The admin interface is accessed via web browser.
what is the default network address for that interface?