Laptop Not shutting down/Sleeping properly

ryguy

Good day forum.

This has been a pain for the last two months.

Here is the just of it-> Did a clean install of Windows 10 on my Acer Extenza Laptop. All normal windows function perfectly apart from one. When I try to enter sleep mode or shutdown the power light remains on. Previously, it was a simple case of closing the lid and packing it away or tapping the sleep button.

Very frustrating coming back to a laptop that has either used all its battery or forcing a restart- then repairing any unsaved documents.

Here is what I have tried:

- Going into power settings- ensuring all the buttons are correctly calibrated to enter sleep or power down based on battery % or whether the laptop is still plugged in.
- Experimented with Advanced power settings-> changing what devices can wake the PC etc.
- Changed the sleep mode times
- Ran Windows Update as Administrator (General and device specific in power options)
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Display drivers
- Went into Bios and set Boot to Default- I also changed the boot hierarchy to see if it would help
- Disabled/re-enabled Fast Startup- Used console as Administrator 'powercfg -h'
- Checked for any programs that may be halting the sleep/shutdown process
- Regularly update all programs and windows features
- Created a custom Power Plan with preferred general and advanced settings
- Checked registry for any corruption
- Checked for any Acer Bloatware (Not the case thanks to fresh install)
- Double checked display shut down procedure
- Enabled/disabled Hibernation and experimented

Many of the other 'fixes' I tried play into the above in one way or another.

The mind boggler-> When I tweak almost anyone of the above mentioned, it shuts down and enters sleep mode seamlessly.

It appears that after a good few hours worth of work it returns to its annoying state of not entering sleep mode or shutting down- requiring a force restart.

Crawled through official and unofficial blogs, videos, windows posts with no success.

Is there something I have missed?:wtf::wtf::wtf:

***Apologies if there is a prexisting thread***

Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4210U @ 1.70GHz
Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Acer BA50_HB (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142 (SATA)
Optical Drives
MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ8HC
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
This is a driver bug with Haswell and Windows 10, and it happens to some systems and not others, mostly because of BIOS support for the S3 sleep state.

This is also what caused a lot of issues for battery drain on the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4, which was on Skylake, because the same bug was present there in drivers and in firmware.

Run "winver" in the run dialog and report back with the Windows version that you're on.

Also see if there's a BIOS update for your notebook. If there isn't, you can try contact Acer and see if they'll help you out with a fixed BIOS that solves the issue.

Also, follow this guide: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/disabling-windows-connected-standby

Before doing it, you can verify if Connected Standby is causing the issue by running "powercfg /a" in a command prompt.

cmd power config.PNG

If it is enabled, there'll be an entry that reads "Standby (connected)" at the top of the list.

Last edited:

ryguy

winver Results -> version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)

powercfg /a Results -> As above

chrisc

Executive Member
Mine is similar. It is an ASUS Aspire

Clicking Power/Shutdown stops the operation but 2 blue and an orange light remain lit on the front
At ASUS suggestion, I altered "What happens when you press Power Button" to Turn Off

This works 4 times out of 10. The other 6 times two blue lights stay on

One blue light is the power connected light

If there are 2 blue lights on, I need to hold down the Power Switch for 6 to 8 seconds, then the light goes off. Pressing it again makes the computer start

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
My Dell does the same. I just gave up on it.

Edit: On a side not, it doesn't happen on my Ubuntu install.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
winver Results -> version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)

powercfg /a Results -> As above

Considering that this issue happened after a clean install, I'd say it's a driver issue.

You could try install the previous version of Windows it came with, update all the drivers, and then upgrade to Windows 10 again to see if that resolves the problem. Creators Update won't reinstall new drivers if the old ones are still compatible and don't need replacing.

steel_dog

Had similar problems with Windows 10.
Here's what I used to diagnose the issue...

powercfg -requests

It'll let you know if anything is keeping the computer awake.