Laptops to all 10-year-olds

The laptops is a bit of overkill... I don't think a 10-year old is resposible enough to own a laptop

Why not offer it to University students?

This on the other hand is terrific:
He also announced that the government would provide €70 million ($95 million) to help unemployed people aged between 25 and 40 attend university for free.
 
Principle is good, but it also depends on the type of Laptop - maybe OLPC or some ruggedised unit that could withstand typical 10-year-old roughness.
 
I knew a mother who gave her 9-yr-old one. He wasn't the best behaved little tyke, but it was an eye-opener. It lasted 3 days. Unless there's a special version available, I don't advocate doing this in every case. I had a computer when I was very young, but then I usually looked after my things.
 
I think it's a great idea if the right type of laptop is given. a rugged OLPC version instead of a normal 15" cheapy or an ultra expensive netbook. i mean with decent free wireless internet (properly controlled of course) it could make a boom in education.
 
agreed, I dunno if I would even give one to high school students unless it was an OLPC.
 
Why not? 10 year old kids these days are nothing like when me when i was 10, every generation is maturing at a much faster rate. We are in the age of the computer.
 
Why not? 10 year old kids these days are nothing like when me when i was 10, every generation is maturing at a much faster rate. We are in the age of the computer.

Ja. Slippery slope though. Soon after school "sport" is going to involve LAN games:eek: Kids need time to enjoy being kids- they are going to slave away at a frikken computer for the rest of their lives...
 
Why not? 10 year old kids these days are nothing like when me when i was 10, every generation is maturing at a much faster rate. We are in the age of the computer.

I thought you were still 10??? :p

seriously, killa... can you see these guys getting into a brawl after school and several laptops getting smashed??? It doesn't take much imagination. Never mind the risk of theft.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X