Larger monitor upgrading

nihilist

Expert Member
Another thing to consider, does the monitor you want have the vesa mounting holes? All the new Samsung monitors lack this! and I cannot stand the stock stands that monitors come with today. They're too low, too limited. My older 22" Samsung has the mounting holes and I have a nice aftermarket stand for it, which means the monitor can be positioned exactly how I want it.

BubiSparks

Sticking with my 23" until something better than 1920x1080 comes along at an affordable price. Dot pitch at this res is barely small enough for me.

Seems to me that the industry has stagnated at 1920x1080, probably because they are now getting close to 100% yields and are too damn greedy to sacrifice a little yield drop and move the standard up to at least 2560x1440 or better...

surfs-up

Expert Member
Seems to me that the industry has stagnated at 1920x1080, probably because they are now getting close to 100% yields and are too damn greedy to sacrifice a little yield drop and move the standard up to at least 2560x1440 or better...

My 27 " Apple iMac quadcore has a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440. Why not get one and solve two problems at once - an extremely good display (the resolution you are after), that comes with a blisteringly fast processor...built-in, not to forget an operating system that never fails :D:D:D

MickeyD

RIP
Remember the days? I loved my 22" Viewsonic P225, but it was huge and took up plenty of real estate on my desk.

16770-why-no-more-crt-monitors-crt_lcd.jpg

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
I have a 42" LCD and it's the best investment I ever made. Gaming on this baby is insane.

BubiSparks

My 27 " Apple iMac quadcore has a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440. Why not get one and solve two problems at once - an extremely good display (the resolution you are after), that comes with a blisteringly fast processor...built-in, not to forget an operating system that never fails :D:D:D

@surfs-up:
I said at an affordable price! Apple has the resolution available (as do others) at crazy pricing - NOT FOR ME. The de facto standard needs to move up.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
@surfs-up:
I said at an affordable price! Apple has the resolution available (as do others) at crazy pricing - NOT FOR ME. The de facto standard needs to move up.

The iPad 3 retina display will kick off a new era where manufacturers once again work to improve resolutions on all displays. The whole industry has stagnated for way too long. Within 3-5 years i suspect we will all be buying 4k monitors at low prices.

nihilist

Expert Member
@surfs-up:

I'm sure Samsung will bring out a higher res screen tho, and their panels are awesome and well priced!

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
While the author is correct that you can go too large for an office environment, when using a SINGLE monitor, numerous studies show a substantial increase in productivity (between 40 and 100%, depending on the task) when using multiple monitors.

I've been using dual 24" (1920x1200) monitors on all my desktops for a few years now and don't even attempt to do anything serious work-wise on a laptop or small desktop monitor anymore.

So often we hear HR complaining about getting productivity up. Here's a simple solution; Give every desk-jockey dual monitors.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
While the author is correct that you can go too large for an office environment, when using a SINGLE monitor, numerous studies show a substantial increase in productivity (between 40 and 100%, depending on the task) when using multiple monitors.

I've been using dual 24" (1920x1200) monitors on all my desktops for a few years now and don't even attempt to do anything serious work--wise on a laptop or small desktop monitor anymore.

So often we hear HR complaining about getting productivity up. Here's a simple solution; Give every desk-jockey dual monitors.
I was one of the first to implement the dual monitor setup in our division. It was a helluva battle convincing the keepers of the purse, but after 3 years they are now implementing it throughout our division.

I have 3 monitors on my desk and it still amazes that some people ask me "why have you got so many PCs?". I've given up replying to them.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I was one of the first to implement the dual monitor setup in our division. It was a helluva battle convincing the keepers of the purse, but after 3 years they are now implementing it throughout our division.

I have 3 monitors on my desk and it still amazes that some people ask me "why have you got so many PCs?". I've given up replying to them.

Just show them how you 'throw' a Word document from one monitor to the other. They'll think you're Tom Cruise in that other movie. :)

czc

Honorary Master

I have two PC's and two 27" monitors working together with Input Director.

rorz0r

Executive Member

I've been using dual 24" (1920x1200) monitors on all my desktops for a few years now and don't even attempt to do anything serious work-wise on a laptop or small desktop monitor anymore.

Absolutely, in my company the guys actually doing the work all have dual monitors (though not quite as fancy). I actually find myself needing 3... (facebook, you tube, email) :p

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep

One thing I regret is not buying two 24" 1920x1200 T240's. Now I am sitting with one when I wish I had two. But 2nd monitor at the moment is a 1920x1080 only because that's all that is available.

MickeyD

RIP
I have two PC's and two 27" monitors working together with Input Director.
I used to have 2 PC's but needed the real estate for my private PC! No non-company stuff on my company PC's.

Messugga

Honorary Master
One thing I regret is not buying two 24" 1920x1200 T240's. Now I am sitting with one when I wish I had two. But 2nd monitor at the moment is a 1920x1080 only because that's all that is available.

I'd kill for a T240 or T260. Such a pity that they were killed off without a replacement.

ponder

Honorary Master
Just show them how you 'throw' a Word document from one monitor to the other. They'll think you're Tom Cruise in that other movie. :)

Lol, I did that a while ago helping a mate compile emails into chronological order for his advocate and he was like WTF how did you do that when I started moving windows around two screens :D