Lawn Renovations

Ok cool. That is the advice I was given.

1. Hire de-thatcher and de-thatch,
2. Hire core aerator, and core some lekker holes,
3. Fill the holes with river sand and use a levelling rake (same day as the cores were drilled because if you leave it the grass will fill the holes),
4. fertiliser etc.
5. Set lawnmower to lowest level and mow it once a week,
6. Have a kick-ass lawn.

There is no one size fits all.
Adding sand works well for a clay soil to add some drainage but if you already have soil that drains fast you are going to get killed by the water bill to keep things alive if you add sand.

Same with no 5. If you do that to LM or buffalo grass you will ruin it quickly as the runners are above soil and you will do a lot of damage every time you mow.
 
Yeah 100%. So I have been looking into it my problem is that my grass is about 300 sqm. So I have a lot to cover and it is going to cost me an arm and a leg especially with the sand. I am still deciding whether it is worth it.
How much is an arm and a leg if I may ask?
 
There is no one size fits all.
Adding sand works well for a clay soil to add some drainage but if you already have soil that drains fast you are going to get killed by the water bill to keep things alive if you add sand.

Same with no 5. If you do that to LM or buffalo grass you will ruin it quickly as the runners are above soil and you will do a lot of damage every time you mow.
Fair enough, this is just what I was advised by people who seem to know a lot more than I do. But yeah I understand what you are saying definitely not a one size fits all. What I will probably do is pick a smallish patch and test it out to see if it works for my soil type or not.
 
How much is an arm and a leg if I may ask?
I worked it out to about 7k ZAR per 100sqm just for the sand. I based it on the price for plaster sand (which apparently is a great alternative to river sand). This is based on the assumption that the cores drilled by the aerator are 50mm deep and I am applying a 55mm sand cover to fill the holes and then some. I hope this is worst case. I haven't price hiring the equipment etc yet.
 
I worked it out to about 7k ZAR per 100sqm just for the sand. I based it on the price for plaster sand (which apparently is a great alternative to river sand). This is based on the assumption that the cores drilled by the aerator are 50mm deep and I am applying a 55mm sand cover to fill the holes and then some. I hope this is worst case. I haven't price hiring the equipment etc yet.
Eina, that's going to add up.
 
Anyone have Berea Grass (LM grass) that can recommend a good plan to revive some sections that have suffered in winter.

Do I just leave it and let the stolons regrow?
 
We recently bought a new house and it was empty for 1 year. The garden is looking horrendous. Anyone know someone in Pretoria who can remove weeds, plant grass etc and get the garden in good condition again? Also need to install irrigation.
 
We recently bought a new house and it was empty for 1 year. The garden is looking horrendous. Anyone know someone in Pretoria who can remove weeds, plant grass etc and get the garden in good condition again? Also need to install irrigation.

Its usually better to get some day labourers to do the initial cleaning and then bring in someone to do the irrigation.

Grass is pretty resilient maybe give us a a few pics. It might just need water, fertilisation and regular mowing.
 
Update:

3 weeks in, and I put some 5.1.5 fertilizer down yesterday. My seeds are also coming up. Had some rain as well. And raining as I type this. Wonderful

1790087311417.png

1790087358151.png

1790087411433.png

1790087451456.png
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X