Legal speak

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Hmm, dunno where to actually post this but anyway.

Does anyone know if you can be threatened with a summons every month (via sms nogal) if you are paying the stupid account? I won't mention names but I am paying R850 instead of R975 monthly which when I phone about, they say okay. 2 Days later .... wham, there goes the threatening sms's from the lawyers. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they can't do diddly if you are making an effort to pay (well apart from blacklisting your a$$ ... which doesn't really concern me).

Any clarity would be appreciated.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
nope... they can't do diddly... and they would have a hard time blacklisting you since you are paying a portion of the account.

IzZzy

Executive Member
First time hearing someone receiving a summons via sms. "Ignore/delete". Until theres a written one then start believing it. Lawyers love to write legalese and scare people :/

LancelotSA

Banned
Yeah, I have experienced a similar thing with SMS threats with my TV licence. Had a TV back in 1999. Bought a licence. Went overseas and sold the TV in 2001. No further need for a licence and difficult to buy one for SA in the UK! Received a threatening phone call about three months back about outstanding TV licence fees. Apparently they say I owe a couple of thousand rand to them as I have not paid my TV licence for that TV since 2001!!!! I said I did not have the TV so no need for the licence, they said not right as if this was the case I was meant to inform them that I no longer had the TV! Where from? London?

So because I had not let them know, I had to pay the outstanding amount. I pretty much said whatever as nicely as I could. Subsequent to that I have received numerous sms's stating that if not paid it is going to be handed over to their lawyers to pursue. By the way when asking why they were contacting me 8 years later they reckon they could not get my contact details... but they could now all of a sudden?!!?

Now my thought process is that they are hoping that the scare tactic will result in me paying at no expense to them. But if it does not work, I wonder what then?

And further to that since when do you have to cancel a licence? Car licence expires. Fishing licence expires. If you still need it you purchase it!

Last edited:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Lol, I had SABC after me too a couple months back. Said I owed them years back payments. Told them I have a license through Teljoy and that I had consulted my lawyers ...... strangely they shut up and backed off. :D

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
let them send the SMSes, it is a cost to their company. Then just ignore them. I would be flattered that they want to waste a few more cents on me every month.

I have had it with letters of demand from Doctors. I know I already settled the account via EFT with the doctor months ago. But I still receive letters of demand from the lawyers. I ignore them... let them waste theirs and the doctors money. Less profit for the doctor! ;)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Threaten them with the National Credit Act. Consumers have a lot more rights since its inception.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
also had the tvlicence scum on my back

after about 10 texts i sat down and crafted the following high legalese:

"Dear *****. I have paid. Send me a summons or shut the fsck up."

i have been waiting for their next move for about 3 months now.....

CharlesM

Hmm, dunno where to actually post this but anyway.

Does anyone know if you can be threatened with a summons every month (via sms nogal) if you are paying the stupid account? I won't mention names but I am paying R850 instead of R975 monthly which when I phone about, they say okay. 2 Days later .... wham, there goes the threatening sms's from the lawyers. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they can't do diddly if you are making an effort to pay (well apart from blacklisting your a$$ ... which doesn't really concern me).

Any clarity would be appreciated.
At worst they'll be able to list you as a slow payer, but blacklisting is not possible.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
If you have proof that they said its OK to only pay R850 as final and complete payment then they can't do anything.

I suspect they meant the "850=OK" part as "850 installment is OK for now".