LIT box power supply

allen001

Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for my LIT box? It is a 220V AC to 5V DC 2A converter. Mine has "disappeared".
Thanks.

krieg

It's called a wall wart, you can get them at any electronic supplier like Communica. Just make sure the round plug is the same. Don't you have any old routers lying around they are the same output most of the time.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
That is a pretty common power supply, you just need to make sure the pin size is the same and that the polarity is correct.

I would be lying if I said that I havent chopped the ends of faulty power supplies and soldered the correct sized ones instead. You could probably make a plan with something you already have lying around.

allen001

Thanks guys. I have the right size plug that I have chopped off another supply, but I don't have the 5V DC suppl;y. Ordered one today from China, but will only get it in about 6 - 8 weeks. The router that I have as spare is a 12V supply. I tried one of the selectable voltage supplies, but couldn't get it to work. (It has a 4.5V and then a 6V selection, but not a 5V one :-( I'll eventually come right.

Jake45

Expert Member
One of these might fit or alternatively a 2A cell phone charger. You may need to purchase a spare DC power plug if the connector is the wrong size.

krieg

Thanks guys. I have the right size plug that I have chopped off another supply, but I don't have the 5V DC suppl;y. Ordered one today from China, but will only get it in about 6 - 8 weeks. The router that I have as spare is a 12V supply. I tried one of the selectable voltage supplies, but couldn't get it to work. (It has a 4.5V and then a 6V selection, but not a 5V one :-( I'll eventually come right.
Just use the 6 volts as these devices usually have a wide range on the input side.

Jake45

Expert Member
Geewiz also has a large range of DC power adapters to convert a male 5.5 X 2.1mm plug to a male 4.0 X 1.7mm plug etc.

Jake45

Expert Member
@allen001: I have always received very good service and advice from Geewiz. It's very difficult to get any product information or advice from Takealot or Loot etc.

You might be able to recycle an unused 2A cell phone charger using one of those Lindy USB to DC power plug cables that they also supply. I have bought several Lindy cables from them before and I have been very happy with the quality.

allen001

For the record (in case this pops up in future), I found an adapter at Soundtech (branches in Cape Town and KZN) for R50. Works great (but I had to change the plug).
Thanks for all the advice.