Lithium Car Battery retailer SA ?

FlyUAv

I'm done with lead acid batteries, does anyone know where i can find an A123 deep cycle battery for my car ?

FlyUAv

Too many reasons to name over all my years with these heavy acid pig boxes, but the sole one that made me draw the final line is i was charging the battery up which is in my boot, very hard to reach area, the charger will take the battery up to 14.40 volts and not higher, now this is not a problem as 14.40 can be considered it to be fully charged. Never had a problem before.

Well this specific battery gave an over charged symptom, i suppose for this specific battery the voltage could not be kept at 14.40 for too long, even if it was on just a 0.4 amp charge, and there she blows acid out the emergency vents, just for me to find in horror the mess it made in my boot, the carpets, nooks crannies. cracks you name it, the wiring the padding the EVERYTHING was drenched in acid, it has taken me a week to get all the acid out, just to find yet another area where the darned acid accumulated. I dream of the acid monster at night ! So there you go, for the sake of my sanity, never again will i put this 18 century tech in my car again !

I know there are people making these Lithium batteries for racing cars and there was a website selling them when i looked 2 years ago but i just can't seem to find it, if anyone can shed some light as to where i can get them please.

Last edited:

Zuner

Expert Member
Would the car alternator be able to charge lithium battery correctly tho
Nope, that would most definitely kill the lithium battery and possibly cause combustion - unless it has built in electronics to prevent that.

Too many reasons to name over all my years with these heavy acid pig boxes, but the sole one that made me draw the final line is i was charging the battery up which is in my boot, very hard to reach area, the charger will take the battery up to 14.40 volts and not higher, now this is not a problem as 14.40 can be considered it to be fully charged. Never had a problem before.

Well this specific battery gave an over charged symptom, i suppose for this specific battery the voltage could not be kept at 14.40 for too long, even if it was on just a 0.4 amp charge, and there she blows acid out the emergency vents, just for me to find in horror the mess it made in my boot, the carpets, nooks crannies. cracks you name it, the wiring the padding the EVERYTHING was drenched in acid, it has taken me a week to get all the acid out, just to find yet another area where the darned acid accumulated. I dream of the acid monster at night ! So there you go, for the sake of my sanity, never again will i put this 18 century tech in my car again !

I know there are people making these Lithium batteries for racing cars and there was a website selling them when i looked 2 years ago but i just can't seem to find it, if anyone can shed some light as to where i can get them please.
Is this the stock car battery location? doesn't sound like it. also why blame a whole technology for one bad battery?
The need for Deep Cycle tells me you're using this for maybe car sound or something not considered normal use?
Anyway, for normal use you'd be wasting your money on a lithium car battery.

Last edited:

Stokstert

Expert Member
Why do you not connect a plastic pipe to the vent of the battery and let it end outside the car and just for safety sake put the battery in a plastic container which will ensure that acid can't leak into the boot..

thechamp

Honorary Master
Why do you not connect a plastic pipe to the vent of the battery and let it end outside the car and just for safety sake put the battery in a plastic container which will ensure that acid can't leak into the boot..
If everything is original about that setup it is supposed to have the pipe fitted and since it is in a boot it is supposed to be even better than the one fitted at the front.

FlyUAv

Would the car alternator be able to charge lithium battery correctly tho
No but yes, as someone said, it has it's own regulator so likely will take the feed from the alternator and convert it into safe current for the lithium battery.

FlyUAv

Is this the stock car battery location? doesn't sound like it. also why blame a whole technology for one bad battery?
The need for Deep Cycle tells me you're using this for maybe car sound or something not considered normal use?
Anyway, for normal use you'd be wasting your money on a lithium car battery.
Yes it is stock location, My car has many things it's running including big sound but all is stock, why blame it because believe me once you get an acid spill into your vehicle, you will have no further questions ever, this i will make sure will never happen again. Furthermore, topping the battery up with distilled water every now and then is beyond a pain, can't open the plugs from within the battery location, and to untie all the wiring and bolts to get it out is a chore one only wants to experience once.

FlyUAv

No space in there to put it into a container but the pipe idea was something i did thought about thanks, but if i can eliminate it entirely by using a lithium battery, i would have no worry about lead acid batteries again.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
From a purely cost point of view, you are pissing up the wrong tree thinking you can just slap an Lithium Ion battery into a vehicle...

The engineering that would need to go into managing the charging of the battery will not be cheap.

Fix your current setup and replace with Lead Acid as per manufacturer.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yes it is stock location, My car has many things it's running including big sound but all is stock, why blame it because believe me once you get an acid spill into your vehicle, you will have no further questions ever, this i will make sure will never happen again. Furthermore, topping the battery up with distilled water every now and then is beyond a pain, can't open the plugs from within the battery location, and to untie all the wiring and bolts to get it out is a chore one only wants to experience once.
The problem seems to be that you used an external charger on your battery which is not the intended use, and the onus was on you therefore to remove the battery from the car and place it on the charger. This is squarely your cock up not the car or the battery.

FlyUAv

This and porche's batteries is ludicrously expensive, it's like the other day one dealer asked me 16k to do a full cambelt replacement job, where i got it done for R2300 at another garage, Lithium batteries are not expensive, they deliberately inflate the prices for some stupid reason, i did go to a site that specializes in these batteries 2 years ago a sa site yes, for prices under 2k, if i can only remember which site it was.

FlyUAv

From a purely cost point of view, you are pissing up the wrong tree thinking you can just slap an Lithium Ion battery into a vehicle...

The engineering that would need to go into managing the charging of the battery will not be cheap.

Fix your current setup and replace with Lead Acid as per manufacturer.
Not expensive at the right place. the electronics to convert the current from the alternator is cheap should i do a diy job, but i'd rather buy something complete for a price i know exists if i can only find that site.