LIVE | Apartheid flag judgment

AdrianH

Expert Member
News Flash March 2020

The apartheid parts of national anthem banned!

Any gratuitous singing of the old national anthem, demonstrates a clear intention to be hurtful, harmful and incites harm, promotes and incites hatred against black people in terms of the Equality Act, says judge

The singing of the old natonal anthem gratuitously demeans and dehumanises on the basis of their race. It impairs their dignity, says Judge Mojapelo

LCBXX

Honorary Master
We have deeply corrupted politicians without any legal proceedings against them but we have a court case over a piece of cloth that hurts feelings. Oh, and 50-odd murders daily, according to official government stats.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
No. Because that flag and the symbolism behind it revolts me

But that isn't going to change the opinion of the pr!ck who wants to display it is it?

Let me put it in an easier context. I would rather have Malema free to be the racist bigot everyone knows he is than him keeping his mouth shut until it is too late.

The reason why I am against the rulings for his hate speech are not because of freedom of speech, it is because the courts here in the non-racial utopia of the People's Republic of South Africa (where equality before the law is a constitutional provision) regards hate speech by white people as being more serious than hate speech by black people.
In accordance with our democracy, minority rights must be protected. The problem is with this country is that it is the other way around. The masses, or the public interest, is being protected and minority rights are being balanced to address ‘Apartheid’ time unbalances. The minority in this regard is losing their protection and I have brought this up many times in the past.

The problem with the public interest is that it may be toxic, the perception may be used to push ulterior motives. Empty promises, unrealistic goals, personal agendas, etc. are all catalysts. We have a social issue, encouraged by several political and union parties.

konfab

Honorary Master
In accordance with our democracy, minority rights must be protected. The problem is with this country is that it is the other way around. The masses, or the public interest, is being protected and minority rights are being balanced to address ‘Apartheid’ time unbalances. The minority in this regard is losing their protection and I have brought this up many times in the past.

The problem with the public interest is that it may be toxic, the perception may be used to push ulterior motives. Empty promises, unrealistic goals, personal agendas, etc. are all catalysts. We have a social issue, encouraged by several political and union parties.
The fundamental problem is that the state does not protect individual rights. The notion that you have to balance an individual's right to free expression (or to make use of their own property for that matter) with the needs of some arbitrary group is exactly why South Africa is doomed.

garp

Executive Member
I don't care much about flags, but I do care about facts, so I wish they would stop calling it the "Apartheid flag". To do so shows a complete ignorance of our history. It is the flag adopted by the Union of South Africa in 1928. The first official "Apartheid" law was implemented in 1950. To call it the "Apartheid flag" is as accurate as calling the US flag the "MAGA flag".

Polymathic

Honorary Master
it is a fair and just ruling.
yes the flag should be put in museums. 90% of people who have an old flag have it folded up in some box hidden and forgotten. 9% of people have it up in a bar or lapa because it has been up there since way before. and there is likely a bigger new flag.

the problem is as always with all things the 1% who fly it simply to get a reaction because they are in fact fundamentally racist. (this is personal experience from growing up in Boksburg)

the flag itself did nothing wrong, and did not 100% represent what people who are flying it now say it represent,or what the judge and the nelson mandela foundation say it represented. sadly some people could not play nicely with their toys so the toys should be taken away from everyone.
If those people want to show that they are racist POSs let them

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I don't care much about flags, but I do care about facts, so I wish they would stop calling it the "Apartheid flag". To do so shows a complete ignorance of our history. It is the flag adopted by the Union of South Africa in 1928. The first official "Apartheid" law was implemented in 1950. To call it the "Apartheid flag" is as accurate as calling the US flag the "MAGA flag".
Pandering to the left by calling it the Apartheid Flag.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
So what constitutes "gratuitous display" of the flag? This, or is it okay because News24 is considered a friend of the liberals?

konfab

Honorary Master
Pandering to the left by calling it the Apartheid Flag.
Does this mean that the South African government should also ban the Israeli flag, given how Israel is also an "apartheid state" according to our wise masters in the government?

garp

Executive Member
Does this mean that the South African government should also ban the Israeli flag, given how Israel is also an "apartheid state" according to our wise masters in the government?
Well, since they opened this Pandora's box, you could argue that they should ban any flag with the hammer and sickle (i.e. SACP) since it represents the suffering and death of millions under a totalitarian ideology.

Nod

Executive Member
That should ban everything made during apartheid. One way to get rid of the SOE's ...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Yes!! They should also ban the NG Kerk for pandering racist narratives during Apartheid.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The fundamental problem is that the state does not protect individual rights. The notion that you have to balance an individual's right to free expression (or to make use of their own property for that matter) with the needs of some arbitrary group is exactly why South Africa is doomed.
We aren’t seen as equals. The one side is associated with white privilege and white monopoly capital, amongst other white-related stigmas, all which are seemingly recognised as inherited advantages. Thus we sit with radical ‘correctional’ policies.

AdrianH

Expert Member
We have deeply corrupted politicians without any legal proceedings against them but we have a court case over a piece of cloth that hurts feelings. Oh, and 50-odd murders daily, according to official government stats.
Its the same as service delivery. Instead of fixing infrastructure and improving service delivery, they focus on changing names.

SAguy

Expert Member
Its the same as service delivery. Instead of fixing infrastructure and improving service delivery, they focus on changing names.
Because it's important to keep people's attention on the lesser important things, and the media just buy into it as well.
Who cares that woman are being abused and raped, who cares that we are on some stats the 4th most dangerous country in the world, who cares whether there are people who live without running water, people who die from curable diseases, children who can't go to school.... that's all ok - just make sure a fkn flag is removed from display.

Sit one on one with a person who has nothing in their lives, whose children are hungry - and ask them what they would rather have, a flag banned or a plate of fkn food for their children. I'm pretty sure they want the food...

but no... keep shifting the focus of the people.