cobuskruger

I have a .io domain parked at NameCheap that I want to use for a local site. I prefer hosting with a local company in part because billing is more predictable, but I'm not completely opposed to foreign hosting.

Anyways, I took up a shared hosting account with Axxess. I could transfer my other domain (.co.za) but discovered a little late I couldn't transfer the .io to them. But they assured me I would be able to get the desired effect by setting up a URL redirect (which changes the URL in the address bar) or by pointing the domain's name servers to the Axxess name servers (which then directs my domain to axxess.co.za). So neither option is at all workable.

Does anyone know of a reliable and affordable local host that can host .io domains? Bonus points if they will let me use Lets Encrypt SSL (which Axxess does).

neo_

Elitehost supports io domains (I'm sure transfers will work fine too), and LetsEncrypt is enabled by default, all you need to do is force SSL where you need to.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
I know Web Crew now has let's encrypt and I nearly bought another io through them recently. Support is very decent but keep in mind they're a little more "power-user orientated" vs the likes of Axxess.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
I know Web Crew now has let's encrypt and I nearly bought another io through them recently. Support is very decent but keep in mind they're a little more "power-user orientated" vs the likes of Axxess.

Do you have any affiliation with Web Crew outside of being a client?

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Do you have any affiliation with Web Crew outside of being a client?
Friend of mine works there (different department though, but that's how I heard about them...probably wouldn't have given them a shot otherwise). Was the last stop in a extremely long line of hosts (started with mweb, hetzner, ample, elite, hostking...started hosting a few sites with them and was happy so I moved almost everything over).

My overall opinion of them is very good. Support lacks a bit at times but during work hours it's fine. HostKing has better support...well kinda, their support agents aren't all that clued up, so often times I had to submit the same problem several times before an admin got involved. Web Crew will basically only attend to high priority tickets after hours (and then you see it's admins and not support agents handling the query - same as I saw at Elite)...but their hosting is more reliable and faster so for me, I don't mind. The price is a bonus. Still have a few sites with Hetzner, happy, but I hate KonsoleH so I'll always be biased against them

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
I'm sorry but Axxess (owned by Afrihost) should be able to help you with a transfer like that because a host doesn't care if it's .io or .co.za.ka.zippo.zol, when a domain is added to the hosting, the web server picks up the new virtual host settings, and when you point your DNS to it (wherever that may be, usually at the same host/cpanel setup) then your domain should resolve.

Now, if you want to move your REGISTRAR from Namecheap to Axxess, that might be a different story.

So if Axxess has CPanel, this should be entirely possible and just goes to show the level of "professional hosting companies" in South Africa

cobuskruger

That's pretty much what I thought. I think part of the problem may be the four-word responses I've been receiving. They do have a self-managed domain option (which tells me my domain is unregistered :wtf: ) and in the email I received from them this morning it seems that may work. But I had to drag that answer out of them - six days after creating the hosting account they finally tell me I should have signed up a different way.

Anyway... Do you know where I can register a .co.za.ka.zippo.zol domain? :crylaugh: