Lonehill Fibre

ryguy

Gooday forum,

Since the rollout of fibre in areas around JHB, I have been dying to get my hands on a package that exceeds the 4meg prison which grips the outdated area infrastructure. Anyone who has utilized the ADSL service will know the headache that comes with this limitation.

A few months back I am sure that I was not alone and completely surprised when I arrived to find my driveway and lawn dug up like a WW1 trench. The guys told me it was for fiber cables and that suited me just fine until I found out it was MTN, with crazy prices.

Is there a service I should be aware of in the Lonehill area that provides fiber at alternate pricing?

*At the time of investigation- the present MTN option was sitting at +-R 700 for a 10meg line that was capped.

Nomadman

Gooday forum,

Since the rollout of fibre in areas around JHB, I have been dying to get my hands on a package that exceeds the 4meg prison which grips the outdated area infrastructure. Anyone who has utilized the ADSL service will know the headache that comes with this limitation.

A few months back I am sure that I was not alone and completely surprised when I arrived to find my driveway and lawn dug up like a WW1 trench. The guys told me it was for fiber cables and that suited me just fine until I found out it was MTN, with crazy prices.

Is there a service I should be aware of in the Lonehill area that provides fiber at alternate pricing?

*At the time of investigation- the present MTN option was sitting at +-R 700 for a 10meg line that was capped.

I'm in Lonehill we are using MetroFibre

ryguy

Contacted both Fire Stream and MetroFibre. Been waiting on responses.

Mysab

Here is a link to the Mtn FTTH pricing https://goo.gl/pxHMti click on the "products available" and you can see the pricing there . If your only option is Mtn then I would suggest taking out a month to month contract and asking them not to do a debit order as sometime they overcharge. The installation should cost R999 once off on the month to month contract.

I'm on the Mtn 50Mbps up and down package. The line overall has been pretty stable except the international speed occasionally dipping but since the beginning of this year the quality of the line seems quite good. With xbox downloads it sits around 44 Mbps .

With firestream the best way to get hold of them is to call them but for the moment if I'm not mistaken Mtn has not yet become open access even though they've been promising open access since around June 2015.

Last edited:

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm bumping this thread, been thinking of looking at property in Lonehill (JHB) but so far I can't find anything from Vuma nor Metrofibre. Does Lonehill not have fibre yet?!

JohnJuniorV3

Expert Member
I'm bumping this thread, been thinking of looking at property in Lonehill (JHB) but so far I can't find anything from Vuma nor Metrofibre. Does Lonehill not have fibre yet?!
Lonehill is covered by various FTTH providers, MTN is quite large spread, I think mainly covering your non-complex homes, then there is Metrofibre and Openserve that cover quite a few complexes. Lonehill East has Vumatel coverage if I’m not mistaken.
DM me if you need any help, I can take a look around for you.