Looking for an automatic car, help please

Ash0002

Hi guys

I'm looking for an automatic car that is reliable, under R150k, something not too slow. I had my eye on a mini copper but it seems troublesome. Can you help and let me know of any economical sporty cars.

TIA

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Second hand Elantra (2012 and later...) or Mazda 2 if you need something smaller.

Dan C

Honorary Master
CVT

I've owned a Honda Jazz and the SO owns a Mazda 2. The latter is a superior car and cheaper.
It's not CVT. I think we had this conversation before. The 1.3 was, the 1.5 from that batch was not. I owned one.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's not CVT. I think we had this conversation before. The 1.2 is, the 1.5 from that batch was not. I owned one.
Always thought the 1.5 auto was CVT as well. Regardless, I had the manual and my point still stands - Mazda 2 unless you need the magic seats

EDIT: I thought I was going nuts because I could've sworn I drove a 1.5 CVT. But that was a 2016 car.

I'm having deja vu, yes

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
Always thought the 1.5 auto was CVT as well. Regardless, I had the manual and my point still stands - Mazda 2 unless you need the magic seats

EDIT: I thought I was going nuts because I could've sworn I drove a 1.5 CVT. But that was a 2016 car.

I'm having deja vu, yes
It was strange that the 1.3 was CVT. Anyhow the 1.5 had 88 KW and was a pleasure to drive in town. It was a bit sluggish on the open road though.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It was strange that the 1.3 was CVT. Anyhow the 1.5 had 88 KW and was a pleasure to drive in town. It was a bit sluggish on the open road though.
I hated my 1.5. Needed a sixth gear (and mine was a build quality "dud")

chickenbeef

Executive Member
The 1.5 from 2008 onwards had a 5 speed auto. The ones prior to that had the CVT box.

MIA7171

Hi guys

I'm looking for an automatic car that is reliable, under R150k, something not too slow. economical sporty cars
BMW 3 Series or Audi A4 if you want automatic and something not too slow.
Mini Cooper are not cheap to maintain. If you are willing to go manual, Suzuki Swift Sport and Ford Fiesta ST would be a good choice.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
WINNA!
OP should look no further...and be eternally grateful to thechamp for spotting this.
I doubt someone who was considering a Mini Cooper would be easily convinced by this elegant sedan, but here's to hoping.

Acajou

+1 For the Lexus. Much faster than anything else except the BMW and Audi, and way more reliable than any of those.